Official Cubs Game Thread!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Platoon splits only work if the hitter hits above .200 vs LHSP.

Dumbest idea and even dumber to continue it

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs looking at Jack Flaherty per Ofman. They shouldn't be buying and of course adding starting pitching is the least of their concerns

Mmm. I will look at it.

Brown is back to throwing so if the thought process is put him in the pen and they don't trust Hendricks to continue off of his last two starts I get it

Cubs have pitching returning in Almonte and Kilian. Add brown to the pen and they have a potential core.

Hitting wise it takes minor moves. The main issue is getting Craig to buy into letting Busch hit vs lefties. Wisdom should have been DFA a long time ago. Like years.ago. So that allows the bench to be used for not stupid stuff like late PH for a struggling hitter in key moments.

Morel had a good game. We will see how long this lasts. But 3B should be a target if they start to build off the last 7 games

But seeing how Taillon responded yesterday the catcher decision might end up far better than expected.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But looking beyond baseball ideologies, there is some sense in the Cubs wanting to add a starting pitcher at the deadline. Shota Imanaga has shown signs of regression, and Javier Assad has come back down to earn after a stellar start in the Cubs' rotation. Combine the possible regression with injuries to Ben Brown and Jordan Wicks, and the Cubs certainly could be in the mix to add a starting pitcher at the deadline.

The idea behind acquiring Flaherty, for the Cubs, may be that they add a starting pitcher capable of reaching the seventh, lessening the burden on a bullpen that struggles finding high-leverage relievers. It's also possible that adding a pitcher like Flaherty pushes Assad to the bullpen as a way to add more out-getters for Counsell at the end of games.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It might be more about getting more velocity going on the rotation. They have 3 finesse types going. Losing Brown to injury was a larger loss because he would just be able to blow guys away.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
But looking beyond baseball ideologies, there is some sense in the Cubs wanting to add a starting pitcher at the deadline. Shota Imanaga has shown signs of regression, and Javier Assad has come back down to earn after a stellar start in the Cubs' rotation. Combine the possible regression with injuries to Ben Brown and Jordan Wicks, and the Cubs certainly could be in the mix to add a starting pitcher at the deadline.

The idea behind acquiring Flaherty, for the Cubs, may be that they add a starting pitcher capable of reaching the seventh, lessening the burden on a bullpen that struggles finding high-leverage relievers. It's also possible that adding a pitcher like Flaherty pushes Assad to the bullpen as a way to add more out-getters for Counsell at the end of games.

Assad has always been better in the rotation than out of the pen

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cubs looking at Jack Flaherty per Ofman. They shouldn't be buying and of course adding starting pitching is the least of their concerns
LOL....so, so Hoyerish. The starting pitching is about the only thing that's been consistent all year. He still doesn't get the way the game is played these days. He's back in the 60's when the bullpen consisted of pitchers that sucked as starters and where starters throwing 150 pitches was common.

I'm so sick of this clown.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
LOL....so, so Hoyerish. The starting pitching is about the only thing that's been consistent all year. He still doesn't get the way the game is played these days. He's back in the 60's when the bullpen consisted of pitchers that sucked as starters and where starters throwing 150 pitches was common.

I'm done caring. Just do something. If it adds wins I really don't care anymore.

#losing sucks

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Adding a starter when we presently have one on IL and one leaking oil is not at all a bad move. Cost is the obvious question mark and I would hope they don’t give up too much.

But strengthening the rotation and pushing Brown to the pen can help both.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Adding a starter when we presently have one on IL and one leaking oil is not at all a bad move. Cost is the obvious question mark and I would hope they don’t give up too much.

But strengthening the rotation and pushing Brown to the pen can help both.
To what end? They were in better position last year when
being a buyer was incredibly stupid.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You are a master of revisionist history.

They should not have waved the white flag in July. They traded away nothing of value.

Even with a lot of injuries to the bullpen and a September flop, they were in the race till the end and the team they finished two games behind went to the World Series. This is not the NBA where it’s crazy to try to get that eighth playoff spot like the Bulls just did.

Had the manager actually rested some of the guys who were slumping badly and allowed the young guys to play in September maybe they would’ve made the postseason.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You are a master of revisionist history.

They should not have waved the white flag in July. They traded away nothing of value.

Even with a lot of injuries to the bullpen and a September flop, they were in the race till the end and the team they finished two games behind went to the World Series. This is not the NBA where it’s crazy to try to get that eighth playoff spot like the Bulls just did.

Had the manager actually rested some of the guys who were slumping badly and allowed the young guys to play in September maybe they would’ve made the postseason.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Keep drinking that Cubbie Kool-aid.......

It's not what they bought (who was shit) genius, it's what they didn't sell when they had the chance.

But wait....Madrigal is gone now....according to you a backup infielder is what was holding them back, right?

Oh wait, now we're back to blaming the fucking manager. So, so lame.

Loser's lament is strong in this one.....

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

It's not what they bought (who was shit) genius, it's what they didn't sell when they had the chance.

But wait....Madrigal is gone now....according to you a backup infielder is what was holding them back, right?

There's just got to be a modicum of common sense when it comes to buying/selling as a gm sometimes. The team appeared to be far from a true contender (idc what AZ did). They could have gotten really nice value in trading Stroman and bellinger.

I'd actually have more faith in hoyer if he'd sold then and showed they were still building. Instead he continues to approach things like they are contending, while failing miserably at assembling the mlb roster. He's absolutely terrible and has zero vision or foresight for building this team.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

You’ve been blaming the manager all year which is not surprising since you thought Ross was great.

I know they were somewhere in no man’s land and had they sold I could have understood.

What should they have sold? Bellinger? Perhaps. I doubt they missed on some huge haul.

What could they have done that you’d have been ok with? Nothing.

Not bitching about literally every single thing is not drinking any Kool-Aid. Not even close.

It’s possible to be disappointed or angry, but still an adult.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You’ve been blaming the manager all year which is not surprising since you thought Ross was great.

I know they were somewhere in no man’s land and had they sold I could have understood.

What should they have sold? Bellinger? Perhaps. I doubt they missed on some huge haul.

What could they have done that you’d have been ok with? Nothing.

Not bitching about literally every single thing is not drinking any Kool-Aid. Not even close.

It’s possible to be disappointed or angry, but still an adult.
Learn how to read, ace. Never said one bad word about Counsel. Mof, praised him for playing the hand he was dealt by his crap GM.

You do more cunting on here than anyone. Pulling a pitcher too soon, not pinch hitting, playing certain players....read your own posts. Endless crying about part time players....one huge bitchfest.

Bellinger? Yes and Stroman. They got exactly nothing for them at a time when they had value.

What would I do? Pretty obvious by now. Get a GM who with some foresight who knows how to build a major league team with young talent and not everybody's castoffs.

RuszBron1

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Get a GM who with some foresight who knows how to build a major league team with young talent and not everybody's castoffs.
Not as easy as you think it is. In the past, for how long Cubbies tried that with what success? Sorry, the GM store shelves are bare..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
#losing sucks.

Brings the worst out of fans.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The only redo from last year would have been DJ Hertz. Hindsight is 20/20