Official Cubs Game Thread!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This year they are also a .500 team and the NL lacks depth. In the AL this would be a easy choice.

So in general you do not fold when you are in a good run.

For the month 9-11.

I would sit on the ASG and let the record decide

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not as easy as you think it is. In the past, for how long Cubbies tried that with what success? Sorry, the GM store shelves are bare..
LOL, I wouldn't even know who I'd be looking for at the store. Rizzo, Dombrowski? There are not many name Gms. No, teams usually run guys up through their system. Hell, the White Sox named an old utility infielder as their GM......how about Manny Trillo for the Cubs? lol

CSF77

Liked Posts:
LOL, I wouldn't even know who I'd be looking for at the store. Rizzo, Dombrowski? There are not many name Gms. No, teams usually run guys up through their system. Hell, the White Sox named an old utility infielder as their GM......how about Manny Trillo for the Cubs? lol

Sam Fluid.

He went to college for Stats prior to becoming a Cub and has worked in the front office post retirement.

Cubs need a viewpoint from a ex player with the college background and physical experience in the field.

He would mesh with Craig also both are cut from the same weave.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
GM of the Phillies so offer a prez job like Theo got.
Just goes to prove that Sam has the type cast that is desired and proves to be successful as he gets both sides of the job.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Learn how to read, ace. Never said one bad word about Counsel. Mof, praised him for playing the hand he was dealt by his crap GM.

You do more cunting on here than anyone. Pulling a pitcher too soon, not pinch hitting, playing certain players....read your own posts. Endless crying about part time players....one huge bitchfest.

Bellinger? Yes and Stroman. They got exactly nothing for them at a time when they had value.

What would I do? Pretty obvious by now. Get a GM who with some foresight who knows how to build a major league team with young talent and not everybody's castoffs.

Counsel vs Ross is a complex question.

Looking at Mil this year makes me think that Craig had talent backing him and it made him look great

So that ties to the front office. They were far better at identifying talent and development than Theo and Jed were.

Theo would toss cash and trade out the farm for short term gains. Mil stayed the course better and held longer term success.

So going manager vs manager is really hard because both struggled until the talent played up to what is expected

CSF77

Liked Posts:
20 games left to the ASG

Right now they are sellers. If they go 15-5 then they are buyers

It is a simple thing. They control their own destiny because the NL lacks depth.

But they are far better off selling when it comes down to it. Selling lowers payroll and gives a few top 100 prospects playing time.

But they have to be smart about it.

Taillon will generate interest. He has been very good this year and has play off experience

Happ has some control and has hit for power from the RH side this year. Teams will be interested.

Bellinger will also spark some interest. He provides answers to 1B and CF and that Holds value to play off teams.

So even Neris would be a change of environment rental with play off experience.

My personal take is sell. Then bring up talent and get them acclimated to the talent under low pressure

Then go into the off-season as buyers but have clear objectives and targets.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If you had to script it

Happ/Taillon/Bellinger/Neris traded.

Horton/Caissie/Canario/Arais. promoted

After that they have to retain the highest talent arms in the pen and let them take their lumps.

Guys like Arais, Little, Kilian should be given innings to develop.

The greatest issue right now is winning now and development. It rarely works. Teams do better in windows. So this process was poorly thought out.

As far as ownership is concerned trading is win/win.

Right now they are paying for uninspired baseball and risk losing Marque subs over it

Trading and promoting creates interest in the top farm prospects and watching their progress

Losing becomes a learning curve and most intelligent fans will buy into that vs losing with this current roster

So in reality the correct call is selling.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I watched the game until the end of the 7th. Then went to bed. Ya that ending was expected.

9-12 in June. Fat lady is getting warmed up.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I watched the game until the end of the 7th. Then went to bed. Ya that ending was expected.

9-12 in June. Fat lady is getting warmed up.
i mean, you have Brewer and Smyly trying to close that one out last night...what could possibly go wrong?!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But to be fair I would have gone with Thompson.

He returned from his wife's childbirth. Prior he locked down the 9th following Miller.

If it was my call it would be Miller in the 8th and Thompson in the 9th. Rest can pick up the left overs

When you have a strong performance like that you shut the door vs toss scrubs in.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ross has to be laughing.

Grass is greener on the other side

Assholes.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't blame Counsel, never have. An idiot offered him $40 mil to manage a team. Who would turn that down? The guy who should be really getting fucked is Ricketts but the moronic Cub fans always keep the faith, so he's fine.....the clueless clown who has put this whole shit show together is still employed. Should've been dumped two years ago but hey.....he's already done enough to pretty much insure this will be his last stop on the MLB GM train ride. We can be happy with that, I guess.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya. He should have ass canned Brewer after the last two games and promoted Ethan Roberts.

You can not blame Counsel for putting bad relievers in

You blame Jed for giving him bad relievers in the first place.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Ya. He should have ass canned Brewer after the last two games and promoted Ethan Roberts.

You can not blame Counsel for putting bad relievers in

You blame Jed for giving him bad relievers in the first place.
i blame both Jed and Counsell

Jed for providing a crap bullpen and Counsell for being paid extremely well to make zero improvements to the outcomes. He is supposed to be a bullpen savant, I am still waiting to see any evidence of it

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Good note is Hendricks finally is buying into the curve. The 2 runs he gave up was when he was going to his change up. After the talk he started to throw the curve and the rest fell in line.

I have felt that he needed to bring up his curve to 35% usage. That pitch keeps them off balance.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
i blame both Jed and Counsell

Jed for providing a crap bullpen and Counsell for being paid extremely well to make zero improvements to the outcomes. He is supposed to be a bullpen savant, I am still waiting to see any evidence of it
Having the top set up and closer in Milwaukee will make any manager look like a genius

Turning shit to gold is not a thing. Jed is the primary problem.