Official Cubs Game Thread!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Early returns on Paredes are not good.
?

Because of the one play?

I have actually enjoyed watching games in which a bouncer to third is no longer an adventure. He’s fielded everything and thrown easily to first something Morel could never do.

The other night he had a couple of doubles so are we saying the early returns aren’t good because he’s not been great at the plate yet?

It’s been about four days hasn’t it?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
He’s batting 0.100 with an OPS of 0.343 since joining the Cubs. Does he think he’s PCA?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The pen did not blow it. A single and HBP didn't help, but that was not on the pen. I watched the game, and other than a HR in the 1st, the Cards popped up and grounded to second all day long, but the Cubs misplayed three of those and all were scored hits.
I read about the botched play on PCA. It doesn't change the fact that there are a few issues going on with the staff.

#1: Assad 45 walks in 98 innings. That is poor. This is why he is getting to 100 pitch counts in the 5th inning and putting the game in the pen's hands.

#2. Neris 25 walks in 40 innings. This ratio is even worse. A closer should not be walking guys at that rate in high pressure situations.

Going into next year Hendricks is out. Assad is not going to last with that ratio going. Neris is not a closer on a contender.

So they will need 1 closer from external sources as the traded away the only internal guy that has that profile.

2 starters. This should be internal. Wicks, Brown and Horton should be battling for 2 spots.

This year is pretty much over. What matters is getting some players up and tested IMO. Even if it is for other teams to look at as trade chips going into the winter meetings.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
?

Because of the one play?

I have actually enjoyed watching games in which a bouncer to third is no longer an adventure. He’s fielded everything and thrown easily to first something Morel could never do.

The other night he had a couple of doubles so are we saying the early returns aren’t good because he’s not been great at the plate yet?

It’s been about four days hasn’t it?
He was slumping going into the trade. I tend to look at the body of work. All players go hot and cold. Cubs traded for 2025 and beyond. Not for 2024 savior. Got to keep expectations realistic.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He’s batting 0.100 with an OPS of 0.343 since joining the Cubs. Does he think he’s PCA?

Don't judge by a few games. You look at a body of work. If you are looking at him saving this year then temper those expectations. He was taken to stabilize 3B. Not to be a Cubs Christ.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Add to it PCA is a work in progress. His speed is real. 21/21 SB and 5 3B in 200 PA is crazy. He needs to work on the basics. Like strike zone management and pitch recognition. This IMO will take a offseason of fine tuning his plate approach and adjustments to his swing.

But that speed is ++ and you build around it going forward. Happ is just keep the lead off warm. PCA is the guy that they should be working on to become a élite lead off.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He was slumping going into the trade. I tend to look at the body of work. All players go hot and cold. Cubs traded for 2025 and beyond. Not for 2024 savior. Got to keep expectations realistic.
I can only assume you're directing that at Probie and now me as I am very much aware Paredes was acquired for more than 2024, and certainly don't expect anyone to be a savior in the final two months.

My point simply was the man has clearly been an upgrade defensively and after one error someone is dumping on him.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Parades shouldnt have thrown the ball.

PCA was calling Hoerner off, but Hoerner bailed late. Which made PCA pull up, PCA can get to anything and Hoerner should have backed off sooner. It was unfortunate. Thats more of not playing a lot together, but its an easier play for PCA but he came a long way and Im thinking Hoernr didnt expect him to get there then gave way but it was late.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Counsell finally getting questioned by the mainstream sports media now

They are a bit behind, per usual

Where are all the David Ross haters at?! Imagine actually blaming Ross for the issues any manager would face with this roster

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Parades shouldnt have thrown the ball.

PCA was calling Hoerner off, but Hoerner bailed late. Which made PCA pull up, PCA can get to anything and Hoerner should have backed off sooner. It was unfortunate. Thats more of not playing a lot together, but its an easier play for PCA but he came a long way and Im thinking Hoernr didnt expect him to get there then gave way but it was late.
Exactly. On both counts.

Paredes has to hold that as he had no chance of throwing the batter out.

PCA's mistake was that there is simply no need to call a guy off when camped under it like that. But it was indeed an issue of unfamiliarity.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Counsell finally getting questioned by the mainstream sports media now

They are a bit behind, per usual

Where are all the David Ross haters at?! Imagine actually blaming Ross for the issues any manager would face with this roster
Ross would be playing Wisdom at 1st all year and Tauchman in CF because he never gave youngsters a chance.

Also, anyone who watched that game yesterday and decided THAT is when you question a manger, is a complete idiot. There is literally nothing to blame a manager for in Saturday's game.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ross would be playing Wisdom at 1st all year and Tauchman in CF because he never gave youngsters a chance.

Also, anyone who watched that game yesterday and decided THAT is when you question a manger, is a complete idiot. There is literally nothing to blame a manager for in Saturday's game.
Please enlighten us on who else he had to play? A very raw PCA didn't come till late and added 0 zero hits in about 12 games. Perhaps you wanted more AB's for Mervis? Or maybe Edwin Rios or Trey Mancini is more to your liking....a manager can only play the players his GM provides. He doesn't make the call on who is here or in AAA. Although with this organization, it wouldn't be a bad idea if he did.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I can only assume you're directing that at Probie and now me as I am very much aware Paredes was acquired for more than 2024, and certainly don't expect anyone to be a savior in the final two months.

My point simply was the man has clearly been an upgrade defensively and after one error someone is dumping on him.
His body of work as a Cub is all that matters. By this logic, we’d call Heyward’s tenure a success as a Cub based on what he did in STL. As I said, early returns but thus far very underwhelming for an All-Star.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
His body of work as a Cub is all that matters. By this logic, we’d call Heyward’s tenure a success as a Cub based on what he did in STL. As I said, early returns but thus far very underwhelming for an All-Star.
It’s been a little over a week.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Even with the Saturday screw up the Cubs took 3 of 4.

ESPN has s column on the Cards and their trade acquisitions with “You can feel the electricity”. They were lifeless this weekend and had lost the previous series all post-deadline.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Been very impressed with PCA’s progress at the plate lately. Half of his outs are screaming liners.
His exit velocity has been 5 or 6 mph better since the break.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lets see what the Cubs can do to the end of the year. There schedule gets easy after with a couple of tough stretches mixed in. Brewers have a tough schedule.

Dont expect playoffs, but lets make some noise.

Then, lets go sign Corbin Burns and some BP help. Maybe a big bat if it lines up.

Matt Shaw, James Triantos, and Kevin Alcantara promoted to AAA. That AAA squad is wild.

6 top 100 prospects all on the same team