Official Cubs Game Thread!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
LOL, maybe I should watch a few more games....annoying thing is that while Hoyer sat on his ass and watched....his team's bullpen blew probably about 25 games by mid season. He kept bringing in other team's castoffs while he had guys like Bigge and Hodge right there in his own system. If they could have won just 10 of those 25, they'd be right in the hunt.

Jed lost the season before Spring started. Teams go through injuries and still win games.

The Cubs going in would have had to be injury proof to keep in the thick of it as the flaws were exposed early.

That is the problem with depending on self developed talent to cheapen the pricetag on ownership then bowing down to the fans in signing the guy that they were screaming for.

All said and done I do like some of the developments through out the season.

That doesn't change the fact that to take it to the next level it will cost.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pirates scored 23 runs in three games and lost every game by 4 or more. Ouch!

I did notice that Amaya and now Bethancourt have feasted behind PCA. Half of the RBI'S came out of the 9 hole.

Not a bad problem to have

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Couple of things ya knuckleheads, the Cubs starting staff and overall has been great. The hitting has been suspect. Now, it's coming together with a plethora of talents behind. They lost a lot of one run games. And a main chug has been PCA and Amaya. figuring it out. I like our future over a whole lot of teams.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Couple of things ya knuckleheads, the Cubs starting staff and overall has been great. The hitting has been suspect. Now, it's coming together with a plethora of talents behind. They lost a lot of one run games. And a main chug has been PCA and Amaya. figuring it out. I like our future over a whole lot of teams.

If you think this is the bullpen of the future, then you are as blind as Hoyer. If these names return, it will 2024 all over again.

Lopez 31 having a career yr
Miller 30 having career yr
Palencia are U kidding me
Roberts bad but not Palencia bad
Smyly pitches like he's 60
Merryweather 32 and fading

The bottom 4 should definitely be replaced....as for the top two, maybe you hope one will repeat in 2025

I said before 2024 that if healthy, the starters were okay but that's a lot spots to fill in the pen.

Cubs need more young faces....Horton, Brown, etc....less reclamation projects

Offense on the way does look promising but today's game is all about the bullpen

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Also, let’s not forget…the cubs have beaten up on the pirates, marlins, tigers, and white sox lately

When they played the guardians, a decent to above average team, they got swept

Let’s pump the brakes just a tad

CSF77

Liked Posts:

They are close. A true ace and a closer makes this team scarry. I could see PCA getting the lead off due to him putting pressure on the pitcher when he gets on base. He is a major distraction.

The biggest issue will be if Cody pulls his opt. He is not worth 27M and that will kill his market value.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
They are close. A true ace and a closer makes this team scarry. I could see PCA getting the lead off due to him putting pressure on the pitcher when he gets on base. He is a major distraction.

The biggest issue will be if Cody pulls his opt. He is not worth 27M and that will kill his market value.
went from claiming PCA is a bust to now claiming he should hit leadoff

:blank:

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I said I could see. Not they should. Also the bust part is a reach. I said bottom of the line up guy.

I am a OBA guy but the distraction is a factor. I am actually good with the current line up. But I would not be mad if it happened.

If they win why would I complain?

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I said I could see. Not they should. Also the bust part is a reach. I said bottom of the line up guy.

I am a OBA guy but the distraction is a factor. I am actually good with the current line up. But I would not be mad if it happened.

If they win why would I complain?
It will be a hard sell right now. PCA has flopped this year and getting Cody back at CF when he can do more than swing a bat makes sense right now. It makes out his trade value going into the off season. Say he picks up his opt having that extra value going into the winter meetings is a boon for Jed then

Not to mention a CF hitting under .200 should not be starting anywhere else than the house of blue Kool ade.

That is a reach. I would not tag any Cub to any rumor at this point. All we know is that Craig said that he will return over the next trip and DH, as his hand has progressed enough to swing a bat.

Even if Jed does trade Cody he is eating contract and that makes no sense. He is better off rebuilding Cody's value starting in CF then letting him know if he picks up that opt then he will be traded to a team that he might not prefer. That is leverage to get him to opt out.

I'm not sold on PCA at all. To date Alamora 2.0 would be a improvement. Speed only works with good OBA. He has not proved that he can do that and his ability to adjust is lacking
Basically called him a bust. Idk what else comparing him to Almora would be.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

While being berated as a bust by some....I was seeing him looking more and more like Kenny Lofton every game. That hasn't changed. A top two in the lineup of PCA and Hoerner would drive pitchers nuts.

Oh, wait....that won't work either. The same guy berating PCA also wants to trade Hoerner.

Ahhh, welcome back to station to station baseball.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Basically called him a bust. Idk what else comparing him to Almora would be.

It is still early in his career. Almora had a 2.2 WAR season and PCA is at 1.8 currently.

Almora had a strong hit tool that never played out vs MLB pitching. Speed was Avg. Route running was top tier.

For a top 10 pick he was a bust.

PCA is wait and see. MLB is a game of adjustments and time will tell if he can sustain.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My biggest issue with that draft was Jed and Theo were so set on Almora. Max fried went right after him to San Diego and that was a guy I was hoping they'd get. And we know the story we're talking about a guy on a Hall of Fame career versus a guy that's out of baseball.

Listening to some podcast some are thinking that they might trade with Seattle for a starting pitcher and trade some of their excess of depth which might be a good idea. Corbin Burns would be the top end guy but next Fried is also on the table. Now I do believe that there are too many lefties in the rotation as it is and he probably my least wanted.

But the Seattle trade was interesting because I knew there was connections with Hoerner going over there that never facilitated. But that could lay the groundwork this offseason for a starting pitcher.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
My biggest issue with that draft was Jed and Theo were so set on Almora. Max fried went right after him to San Diego and that was a guy I was hoping they'd get. And we know the story we're talking about a guy on a Hall of Fame career versus a guy that's out of baseball.

Listening to some podcast some are thinking that they might trade with Seattle for a starting pitcher and trade some of their excess of depth which might be a good idea. Corbin Burns would be the top end guy but next Fried is also on the table. Now I do believe that there are too many lefties in the rotation as it is and he probably my least wanted.

But the Seattle trade was interesting because I knew there was connections with Hoerner going over there that never facilitated. But that could lay the groundwork this offseason for a starting pitcher.
cubs might not win the WS without almora tagging up from first

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
cubs might not win the WS without almora tagging up from first
Yep....and I'll be the first one to admit that I was firmly against the Cubs trading, which at the time, was their future to bring in Chapman for a couple of months. Never in a million years thought that team would be one and done.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hidden by the fact that the Cubs are scoring a ton of runs is the fact that the bullpen has given up 18 runs in their last 18 innings pitched or thereabouts.

The Cubs are going no where but the golf course.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Smells like the DBACKS from last year. Should be a fun September. Nice win even with the issues at the end.
Let’s go! I’m not giving up yet. Nice to see PCA coming along. He could be an exciting player for years to come. Cubs need this youth to start showing up