Offseason discussion/rumors

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
My point was if they trade for Archer and get nothing when Arrieta walks they really don't have the prospects anymore. Even using my level of value on an Archer trade which is obviously lower than what you think he will go for their system would be left looking something like this

#1 Eloy Jiminez
#2 Dylan Cease
#3 Mark Zaguins
#4 Duane Underwood
#5 Oscar De La Cruz
#6 Trevor Clifton
#7 Jose Albertos
#8 Bryan Hudson
#9 Donnie Dewees
#10 DJ Wilson
#11 Eddy Martinez
#12 Tomas Hatch
#13 Victor Caritini
#14 Jake Stinnett
#15 Pierce Johnson

Now I like a lot of the cubs young arms and especially so with Cease and De La Cruz but you're talking about a lot of gamble on the cubs younger arms. There's talent there but projecting pitching below AA is rather pointless as so much can go wrong be it injury or just not being able to get more advanced batters out. Jiminez is largely the only guy in that group you can reliably put in a trade for any half decent pitcher on the block. And the obvious problem with that is even if they get Archer they still have to replace Lackey after 2017 when FA is likely just as bad. Sure you can go bargain hunting but what made the 2016 cubs so strong was how deep they were in their rotation. And obviously Lester could slow down with another year on him.

So, it's my opinion that if the cubs trade for Archer they aren't going to have much left in the tank.

Which is exactly the argument why, if you trade for Archer, that you trade Arrieta as a concurrent/subsequent move. I don't see the argument about how the rotation is worse if you replace Arrieta with Archer. The former was not very good in the second half last year, although he did have his moments in the playoffs, while the latter was quite good from May on in 2016. It isn't like Archer is a clear step down, in fact he could be a step up.

I realize you have been saying essentially this so this is not meant to argue with but to clarify.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
In your scenario who did they move to get Archer? Like in your top 15, I see no Happ

That list is minus happ, and candelario. Basically I was going off the idea that Archer would cost Happ, Soler, Candelario, Montero(+money), and two minor pieces be it lower level(below their top 15 prospects) pitching or depth guys like Szczur. I'm guessing based on our previous conversations you'd say that was a light offer. It wouldn't shock me if they might instead move around some pieces in the trade and want say Cease instead of something I suggested but if that is the case it jus makes the cubs farm system even weaker if that's the case.

Overall, the cubs have some interesting depth that could pop up in the next year or so but as we sit here today it's guys who could go either way.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs were to give up the farm for an arm they would have done that already in the past season or two. I don't see that happening. The 3 way trade is most likely where we trade Arrieta, get Archer and both teams give TB a few prospects thereby making the trade worthwhile for TB. Cubs could trade Candelario and Soler, and the other team could trade two top 10 guys and TB will still make out ahead.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
so let me get this straight, teams will offer a top 50 prospect or so for one year of Jake but the Cubs are supposed to get Archer by trading one top 50 prospect and some depth? Those statements don't make any sense.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have agreed to a one-year, $2MM deal with free agent lefty Brian Duensing, according to Jon Heyman of Fan Rag (Twitter links).

Decent Loogy with .232/.286/.328 career LH splits. Definitely not much of a RH split though .289/.352/.462

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Nationals have dealt for catcher Derek Norris from the Padres, per a club announcement. Righty Pedro Avila will head to San Diego in return.

This is sort of note to the cubs. Norris to my knowledge was one of the few non FA C available. Probably makes the market for Montero if the cubs decide to move him bigger.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Nationals have dealt for catcher Derek Norris from the Padres, per a club announcement. Righty Pedro Avila will head to San Diego in return.

This is sort of note to the cubs. Norris to my knowledge was one of the few non FA C available. Probably makes the market for Montero if the cubs decide to move him bigger.

Diamondbacks Non-Tender Welington Castillo, Rubby De La Rosa
December 2nd, 2016 at 6:16pm CST • By Jeff Todd
The Diamondbacks decided not to tender arbitration contracts to catcher Welington Castillo and righty Rubby De La Rosa, per a team announcement. The decision on Castillo, in particular, rates as a surprise; both will be available to the highest bidder on the open market.

Castillo had been projected by MLBTR and contributor Matt Swartz to earn a fairly hefty $5.9MM in his final season of control. But in this market, with more teams seemingly in need of catching than there are serviceable backstops to go around, that seemed plenty reasonable.

After all, Castillo is still just 29 years of age and provided the D-Backs with 457 plate appearances of .264/.322/.423 hitting last year, while swatting 14 home runs. That was slightly below a league-average rate of production for a hitter, but is quite useful for a catcher. And Castillo had shown some real upside just a season before, when he popped 17 long balls and OPS’ed .813 over 303 plate appearances following his mid-season acquisition by the Snakes.

Of course, offense isn’t everything, particularly for the catching position. Castillo rated as a slightly below-average framer by StatCorner’s measure in 2016, though he was right at par the season prior. In the view of Baseball Prospectus, though, he was rather terrible at gaining strikes for his pitchers last year.

On the surface, even with the questions about his ability to win the corners for a team’s staff, it might have seemed that Castillo would at least have held trade appeal. Surely, though, that possibility was explored by Arizona before it finalized its course. From the organization’s perspective, it can roll the dice on Chris Herrmann continuing his surprising run from 2016. And the club may also look to help nurture its rotation back to health with a steady hand in a reserve role; the D-Backs have had contact with free agent Jeff Mathis, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic tweets.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That list is minus happ, and candelario. Basically I was going off the idea that Archer would cost Happ, Soler, Candelario, Montero(+money), and two minor pieces be it lower level(below their top 15 prospects) pitching or depth guys like Szczur. I'm guessing based on our previous conversations you'd say that was a light offer. It wouldn't shock me if they might instead move around some pieces in the trade and want say Cease instead of something I suggested but if that is the case it jus makes the cubs farm system even weaker if that's the case.

Overall, the cubs have some interesting depth that could pop up in the next year or so but as we sit here today it's guys who could go either way.

I just don't believe that the Rays would take that deal. Happ and Candi as the 2 prime prospects. 2 MLB players that put up .6 WAR in 2016. The 2 minor pieces would have to be pretty solid and not minor.

You could sell Soler as the 3rd best piece to get Archer. Say Baez, Happ (moved to LF in AA-AAA), Soler to play LF and DH some. Then a 4th piece. Could be Montero. You figure Baez is worth 4 WAR base. Montero and Soler may get you 2 WAR with more playing time. That covers up to 6 WAR of value. Happ would get you a system arm then.

My feel is the Rays want to compete in 2017. I do not believe they will want Candiero because of Longoria. So it doesn't fell like a match up there. Now a GG 2B or if they moved him back to SS. I can buy that one as a center piece of a deal. Not Happ.

Now my feeling is they will do nothing of the sort.

They did a 1 year on Jay. Let's Almora mature for a year.

They have stock piled LH BP arms this offseason. That replaces Wood and lets Montgomery start. Fact they let Hammel walk was a red flag of this direction.

Now with these factors in mind and they are losing Arrieta and Lackey and at best they may have Underwood maybe ready. Clifton in AAA in 2018. Sure selling Arrieta to gain pieces to get a guy like Archer makes sense. But you have to look at the F/A market also.

To me it makes sense to leave Candiero sit in AAA to keep him regular. With Baez you do not have the playing time.

Now if they did trade Jake to? For prospects to flip to T.B. Say they get 3 back. 2 they want and 1 that the Rays want. Then they trade Baez that prospect with Montero and Soler. At that point they have no back up SS. Petty much a big issue. Soler is a non issue. Montero becomes a non issue if they find a solid rental back up catcher. Market looks thin here also.

So this is what I think:

Do nothing. By trading they become weaker. Jake->Archer is a push then you lose your back up catcher and your super sub. Soler gone also which could be big or small depending on other factors pulling their weight.

IDK. If they were just moving Soler and Christian for lower level arms that they could develop I could buy it.

Montero: Pointless to trade. They have a legit back up in AAA. Better to deal him at the deadline.

Soler: emergency only really. Most likely Heyward regains form and Schwarber meets his potential. Really feels like they should hold him for emergency and let his value pick up in a back up role.

Jake in reality will get over 50 mil. So he will net a pick regardless. Not sure on the new CBA. But just deal with that when it happens.

I see it as Hendricks turns into the top RH starter on the staff. Lester the top lefty. Montgomery will be the 4. That creates the need for a grade B RH starter vs a A grade like Archer. The 5 you are looking at innings pitched for the most part.

That need could be filled in the F/A market in 2018 or via trade. This market is @$$ for F/A starters. This is pushing up the price tags for F/A pitching. I would look at the trade deadline for a replacement with control with Soler and Montero if they can afford to move them at that point.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wow:

Padres Non-Tender Tyson Ross, Five Others
December 2nd, 2016 at 7:18pm CST • By Jeff Todd
The Padres have non-tendered righty Tyson Ross and five other players, Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports on Twitter. Also cut loose were Alexi Amarista, Jon Edwards, Erik Johnson, Jose Pirela and Hector Sanchez.

Ross, 29, easily becomes the most prominent player to be non-tendered this year. Excellent as he has been when healthy, he missed virtually all of 2016 and is still working back from shoulder surgery.

Still, the wide assumption had been that San Diego would roll the dice on Ross returning to form, perhaps hoping he’d emerge as a trade candidate as soon as the spring — or, if not, by the mid-season market. After all, he compiled a 3.03 ERA over 391 2/3 innings in the 2014 and 2015 seasons, with a strong 9.4 K/9 against 3.6 BB/9.

Ross is typically a very strong groundball pitcher, with a lifetime 56.0% mark. But his velocity had been falling of late, and then the shoulder issues arose in full force. While it seemed at various times as if he’d make it back in 2016, after making just a single start (on Opening Day), he ultimately required thoracic outlet surgery in mid-October.

Given the risk — and, perhaps, the unknown medical reports the team has received — perhaps the move isn’t as surprising as it seems at first glance. MLBTR projected Ross to repeat his $9.6MM salary from a year ago, and that’s no small amount to stake on a single season. Still, organizations searching for upside on a thin market will no doubt take a long look at a pitcher who’s a top-of-the-rotation piece when healthy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Now if the Cubs did sign him on a 2 year discount to rehab. Let Jake walk and have Ross under control in 2018. This could fix the #3 starter situation and then they could either go inhouse for the 5 or sign a innings eater on a short deal

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Now if the Cubs did sign him on a 2 year discount to rehab. Let Jake walk and have Ross under control in 2018. This could fix the #3 starter situation and then they could either go inhouse for the 5 or sign a innings eater on a short deal
Wasn't Ross a BB machine even when he was healthy

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anything other than paying Arrieta is some cheap ass shit the Rickets should be ashamed of. 10,000 a seat man. Spend like the Yankees if your the Cubs and see if success more than pays you back. They could elevate tickets next year for sure.

Arrieta earned it, and then he came through in the playoffs. The squad looks alot weaker to me without him, given the age of Lester, slight build of Hendricks, and lack of arms behind them. Archer or Ross don't have the it factor and stuff of Arrieta.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Anything other than paying Arrieta is some cheap ass shit the Rickets should be ashamed of. 10,000 a seat man. Spend like the Yankees if your the Cubs and see if success more than pays you back. They could elevate tickets next year for sure.

Arrieta earned it, and then he came through in the playoffs. The squad looks alot weaker to me without him, given the age of Lester, slight build of Hendricks, and lack of arms behind them. Archer or Ross don't have the it factor and stuff of Arrieta.

Nah, they're going to spend plenty of cash, if they move in a direction other than Jake it's because they identified what they believe to be a superior ROI. This situation isn't akin to a $Bill $Wirtz or McCaskey cheapness. We are all scarred by those monsters, I can relate to your doubts and suspicions but a new glorious era of Cubs is upon us.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I just don't believe that the Rays would take that deal.

I don't really care. Think people are seriously underselling what Soler is. He was worth 0.7 fWAR in 264 PAs last year. If he had qualified PAs that would be the 20th best LF in baseball and fangraphs is counting Kris Bryant and Jose Ramirez as LF's as well as Nomar Mazara who played 885 innings in RF and Howie Kendrick who's really a 2B but played in LF to get him on the field. If instead you pro rate that 0.7 fWAR over 650 PAs(full season give or take) that's 1.7 fWAR which would be 9th best in the majors among LF. And clearly there's more talent in him than he's shown.

I've read a bunch of comments on various places about how he has no value and I just don't get that to be honest. He hit better than Jayson Werth who was the starting LF on a playoff team and their UZR/150 were roughly just as bad. If there's one legit complaint on Soler it's health. His defense isn't great either but in LF it's fine given his bat. If the cubs didn't have Schwarber I'd rather keep Soler. However, Schwarber is a far better version of Soler.

Long story short, if the rays are wanting to compete today that trade I mentioned is largely the best case. I've mentioned before I don't know that they would want Candelario but the fact remains he's the closest piece with the most value left. And you could just as easily do something like moving Longoria to 1B or DH. The Rays primarily played Duffy at SS after the SF trade. They certainly can ask for Baez but the cubs would be entirely fucking stupid to do Baez + Happ + more for Archer. Baez and Archer have the same amount of control and Baez makes less money over that time. Archer has been worth an average of 4 fWAR over the past 3 seasons which is right around what Baez would have put up as a full time player last year. If they are wanting Baez, the trade really needs to be basically a straight up trade Baez for Archer or else the cubs are losing far more value.

Regardless, I think there's more pressure on TB to make moves than on the cubs. As of right now the cubs sit at 50.5 projected fWAR for next season which is first ahead of the dodgers at 48.1. If the Rays wont do the offers I've essentially laid out I'd rather the cubs talk to them about Smyly. Given how expensive his arbitration will be he's probably the guy the Rays would like to move the most and I honestly think he can be had for a reasonable price. In fact, I would potentially argue you could get Smyly and another decent young pitcher for a similar package to what you'd give up for Archer.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also for what it's worth, the media has talked about Texas potentially being a Rays trade partner. But is Happ + Soler worse than Profar + Gallo? Gallo has hit .173/.281/.368 over 153 career PAs with an astronomical 49.7% k rate. Profar has hit .235/.311/.341 over 648 career PAs. If I'm TB I'd rather have Happ and Soler.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't really care. Think people are seriously underselling what Soler is. He was worth 0.7 fWAR in 264 PAs last year. If he had qualified PAs that would be the 20th best LF in baseball and fangraphs is counting Kris Bryant and Jose Ramirez as LF's as well as Nomar Mazara who played 885 innings in RF and Howie Kendrick who's really a 2B but played in LF to get him on the field. If instead you pro rate that 0.7 fWAR over 650 PAs(full season give or take) that's 1.7 fWAR which would be 9th best in the majors among LF. And clearly there's more talent in him than he's shown.

I've read a bunch of comments on various places about how he has no value and I just don't get that to be honest. He hit better than Jayson Werth who was the starting LF on a playoff team and their UZR/150 were roughly just as bad. If there's one legit complaint on Soler it's health. His defense isn't great either but in LF it's fine given his bat. If the cubs didn't have Schwarber I'd rather keep Soler. However, Schwarber is a far better version of Soler.

Long story short, if the rays are wanting to compete today that trade I mentioned is largely the best case. I've mentioned before I don't know that they would want Candelario but the fact remains he's the closest piece with the most value left. And you could just as easily do something like moving Longoria to 1B or DH. The Rays primarily played Duffy at SS after the SF trade. They certainly can ask for Baez but the cubs would be entirely fucking stupid to do Baez + Happ + more for Archer. Baez and Archer have the same amount of control and Baez makes less money over that time. Archer has been worth an average of 4 fWAR over the past 3 seasons which is right around what Baez would have put up as a full time player last year. If they are wanting Baez, the trade really needs to be basically a straight up trade Baez for Archer or else the cubs are losing far more value.

Regardless, I think there's more pressure on TB to make moves than on the cubs. As of right now the cubs sit at 50.5 projected fWAR for next season which is first ahead of the dodgers at 48.1. If the Rays wont do the offers I've essentially laid out I'd rather the cubs talk to them about Smyly. Given how expensive his arbitration will be he's probably the guy the Rays would like to move the most and I honestly think he can be had for a reasonable price. In fact, I would potentially argue you could get Smyly and another decent young pitcher for a similar package to what you'd give up for Archer.

We are on the same page. They would be worse in 2018 to get more control. I wouldnt do it myself and wait til the deadline to deal Soler.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
These fans just prefer the big name over Soler. I really dont see what there is not to love about this guy. People forget about his rifle arm, his long bombs that Mailee forced him to get away from. The guy can hit a baseball thru fielders he hits it so hard and he has the eye that will prove with data that he is not fooled much at the plate unless he is just letting go and guessing early in the count, most replays show he was right in the call. They are the same strikes KB watches and gets called out on, they are pitches this organization does not want them to swing at, even with 2 strikes. Lets not forget that big numbers with Soler could allow him to opt out of the deal and choose arbitration over his basically set 3 million contract and we know how that plays into this game.

Theo still feels Soler was rushed in, did not get the full time in the minors to hone the skill in the outfield, which is not much unlike Schwarber. Me, I want to see Solers at bats, I want to see him throw,seems thats all that you can ask for from a player.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Soler is a sucker for the breaking ball which is why he rarely gets a fastball anymore. A good breaking ball will make him miss by 2 feet. Does anyone really want him at the plate with the game on the line?

His defense is unreliable and he slips and missteps out there. He is lazy and jogs after balls. He is a liability that needs to be replaced on defense in the 7th inning. On offense he hits below the league average for his position. Once a month he hit a long home run........big deal.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Soler is a sucker for the breaking ball which is why he rarely gets a fastball anymore.

Not really. Frankly the worst pitch for Soler has been change ups with a career -2.51 wCH/C. On his career he's negative vs curves at -0.66 but last season he was positive at 0.94. Like wise, sliders he still is negative on in 2016 but was better than his career marks going from -1.21 on his career to -0.22. And of course you would expect those numbers to improve given more time in the majors. Last year the only pitch that really beat him badly was change ups. Sliders beat him slightly but then that sort of makes sense because that's generally going to be an out pitch when you're already down in the count. He hit both 4 seam and cutters very decently.

Obviously you don't like Soler which is fine but I think the data suggests he's already an above average hitter. His defense is poor but it's not "he's only a DH poor." His arm is actually probably plus but he takes very poor routes on balls. He's never going to have plus speed or anything so his range is going to be limited but it's not poor. Overall, Soler is a project. If you get someone to work with him on enhancing the routes he runs he can probably be an average LF maybe even slightly above. And given he's already an above average bat there's a lot to like. Is he a corner stone piece? Probably not but people get far to concerned with that. He can very well be a heart of the order hitter for a number of teams.

Keep in mind that Mark Trumbo took 407 PAs in the 5 slot and 237 PAs in the 4 slot for a 89 win O's team. Trumbo probably has more power than Soler will but you're talking about a career .251/.303/.473 hitter(.256/.316/.533 last year) who easily is a worse defender than Soler. Soler is a career .258/.328/.434 hitter(.238/.333/.436 last year). In other words, Soler very likely could be a better OBP version of Trumbo who has slightly less power.