Offseason discussion/rumors

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
If im "all people"
I never said anything about him sucking..

I just dont think he needs to catch or worth the risk when they have 2 more then capable Catchers in Contreras and Montero to play everyday.

Only reason I say late in games to use him , would be in cases like extra innings or other situations where they use up both catchers and need him to catch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

What position was he playing when he got hurt? Squatting might be the best thing he can do to keep the ligs loose all game.

No, I am not saying you are all people, but the majority want him to just DH so for now hide him in left field again. Personally, Schwarber offensively big time over Montero and any other outfielder on the roster over Schwarber defensively in the outfield. It just seems to make sense. Pretty sure Montero was one of the worst catchers in baseball last year.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
What position was he playing when he got hurt? Squatting might be the best thing he can do to keep the ligs loose all game.

No, I am not saying you are all people, but the majority want him to just DH so for now hide him in left field again. Personally, Schwarber offensively big time over Montero and any other outfielder on the roster over Schwarber defensively in the outfield. It just seems to make sense. Pretty sure Montero was one of the worst catchers in baseball last year.

People are too tough on Schwarber as an LF. Before the 2015 playoffs he was playing a just slightly below average LF, then he sucked in the playoffs and got hurt his third game of 2016. I truly believe with his work ethic he can become an average LF which would be better than a lot of guys who have played there for the same reason. Adam Dunn anybody?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
People are too tough on Schwarber as an LF. Before the 2015 playoffs he was playing a just slightly below average LF, then he sucked in the playoffs and got hurt his third game of 2016. I truly believe with his work ethic he can become an average LF which would be better than a lot of guys who have played there for the same reason. Adam Dunn anybody?

He is going to need to focus on one spot soon. His D is suspect enough with out diverting his adjustments to two positions.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Agreed. Left field has always been the spot where you "hide" your worst OF defender and it won't change next season. If his health allows Kyle will play left, catch a bit and DH in the inter-league road games....it's not brain surgery. It's baseball 101...find a way to play your best hitters.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Considering you're likely starting Almora and Heyward next to Schwarber.... i mean you could put just about anyone out there so long as their bat is good enough. Among qualified OF last season heyward was second to Kevin Pillar in the range portion of UZR. I'm not 100% sure how they come up with that but I believe it's a counting stat meaning more innings the more chances you have to increase it. That being said, Almora had a 6.4 range which would have been 10th best among OF had he qualified. Fowler was pretty good last year in CF defensively and his range was a 2.

So, you're not just talking about two good defenders. You're realistically talking about 2 elite CF playing CF and RF. Even with Schwarber out there they may still have the best outfield defense in the majors though if Benintendi gets called up that's probably Boston instead.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

I was trying to make a point as to how I read every post with Schwarber catching. Schwarber wants to play, he wants to catch and with Maddon possibly leading him off, there is a chance he plays him all over. Its not rocket science, you play your best players, but those best include Baez and Zobrist who are not going to take many days off either. More rest for MVP Bryant and Rizzo? dont think so. Will they allow Baez the chance to take SS from Russell? doubt that too. All roads go to Bryant and Zobrist playing more outfield which means if you want Schwarbers bat, he will catch, alot.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I was trying to make a point as to how I read every post with Schwarber catching. Schwarber wants to play, he wants to catch and with Maddon possibly leading him off, there is a chance he plays him all over. Its not rocket science, you play your best players, but those best include Baez and Zobrist who are not going to take many days off either. More rest for MVP Bryant and Rizzo? dont think so. Will they allow Baez the chance to take SS from Russell? doubt that too. All roads go to Bryant and Zobrist playing more outfield which means if you want Schwarbers bat, he will catch, alot.

I don't think so, especially not early, although I do think Schwarber will catch some. I get the feeling most people think Baez is going to start at 2B most days and I don't believe that. I think Zobrist is your starting 2B and Baez is still the super-sub. A lot depends on Heyward though. If he hits like he can he's playing RF nearly every single day with Almora, Jay, Zobrist and Schwarber getting the other OF time. Schwarber is going to get the opportunity to play against tough lefties to develop there but if he struggles those will be his days off. That's when you might see Zobrist in LF. Listen, it's going to be a balancing act but Contreras is the #1 catcher with Montero as his backup and you're not going to halt Contreras' development to shoehorn Schwarber in there. I don't see much time for Schwarber to catch, at least for now.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Indians DFA'd Edwin Escobar. Prior to 2014 he was a top 100 prospect(BA #56 and mlb.com #95). If he makes it to the cubs in waivers he might be an interesting pick up.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Indians DFA'd Edwin Escobar. Prior to 2014 he was a top 100 prospect(BA #56 and mlb.com #95). If he makes it to the cubs in waivers he might be an interesting pick up.

Sure, you take a look but he's had an awful lot of chances. I followed him as he moved through the Red Sox system.

Another interesting name, and one I'm surprised we haven't heard much about, is Henderson Alvarez. He hasn't been healthy in 2 years but he pitched well for the Marlins in 2013 and 2014 although he doesn't miss a lot of bats. You would think he would be worth a look at just 27.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So.... i think TB is possibly on another planet on their valuation of Archer.

http://www.draysbay.com/2017/1/5/14177084/mlb-trade-rumors-rays-chris-archer-houston-astros
Luhnow [Astro’s GM] went to Tampa, from what I’m told, and said alright this is what we’ll give you for Chris Archer. We’ll give you Tucker. We’ll give you Martes. We’ll give you David Paulino, who is their second best pitching prospect. We’ll give you two more prospects for Archer and Tampa Bay, which kinda surprised me, said ‘no we need more than that if we’re going to trade Chris Archer.’

The other interesting aspect of this to me is just how desperate Houston appears to be for pitching. I've mentioned the idea of trading Arrieta to them before so I wont rehash it but having seen this I feel pretty confident in what I said which was that Arrieta would return at least Martes and Paulino. Given the difference in control I doubt you would also get Tucker but 1-2 more prospect doesn't seem that unreasonable.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Sure, you take a look but he's had an awful lot of chances. I followed him as he moved through the Red Sox system.

Another interesting name, and one I'm surprised we haven't heard much about, is Henderson Alvarez. He hasn't been healthy in 2 years but he pitched well for the Marlins in 2013 and 2014 although he doesn't miss a lot of bats. You would think he would be worth a look at just 27.

I don't really see upside in Alvarez. When he was at his absolute best in 2014 he was a 5.34 k/9 guy. That's entirely back of the rotation material. I mean if you're just looking for a #5 starter than sure but the reason I brought up Escobar was more as AAA depth you can maybe Arrieta your way to victory. Escobar on the other hand in 2014 posted a 7.78/3.00 k/9 bb/9. Not saying he's a sure thing by any means but those sort of rates are typically what you see out of mid rotation starters.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I was bored and had photoshop..... so this is the previous post over layed with Almora's range in CF.

Xf8uCBT.png

Almora didn't have a on of data points so I think his circle might actually be slightly large especially in the CF/RF gap. That being said, this generally gives you a rough idea of how little ground Schwarber really will have to cover. Also, not picture in this is the range Russell will have at SS which has shown to be quite good. Baseball savant doesn't have these for infielders and didn't have data for Schwarber in 2015 so I couldn't plop him on there too.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im not entirely convinced that Heyward wont play a good chunk in CF.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Im not entirely convinced that Heyward wont play a good chunk in CF.
If that their plan, then it made no sense to sign jon Jay..they could of signed a different type of OFer then, maybe more of a corner OFer.
Or
If he does play a lot of CF, it could mean that Almora and or Jay are playing bad.

If I remember correctly, I saw where management really likes and prefers having Heyward defense in RF.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I don't think so, especially not early, although I do think Schwarber will catch some. I get the feeling most people think Baez is going to start at 2B most days and I don't believe that. I think Zobrist is your starting 2B and Baez is still the super-sub. A lot depends on Heyward though. If he hits like he can he's playing RF nearly every single day with Almora, Jay, Zobrist and Schwarber getting the other OF time. Schwarber is going to get the opportunity to play against tough lefties to develop there but if he struggles those will be his days off. That's when you might see Zobrist in LF. Listen, it's going to be a balancing act but Contreras is the #1 catcher with Montero as his backup and you're not going to halt Contreras' development to shoehorn Schwarber in there. I don't see much time for Schwarber to catch, at least for now.

I'm pretty sure the cubs are considering they are developing two catchers. The way I see it happening, is Lester picks Montero, although if he chooses Contrares I doubt Montero is here the entire season, especially if Ross takes a job on the staff.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that their plan, then it made no sense to sign jon Jay..they could of signed a different type of OFer then, maybe more of a corner OFer.
Or
If he does play a lot of CF, it could mean that Almora and or Jay are playing bad.

If I remember correctly, I saw where management really likes and prefers having Heyward defense in RF.

They are going to put there best team on the field. If that means, Heyward moves to CF and Bryant to right or Zobrist and Baez plays most days then thats what they are going to do. Almora is unproven and Jon Jay isnt a starter, at least, not on this team. I have a hard time believing if Almora struggles they will choose to have him or Jon Jay in the lineup over Baez.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They are going to put there best team on the field. If that means, Heyward moves to CF and Bryant to right or Zobrist and Baez plays most days then thats what they are going to do. Almora is unproven and Jon Jay isnt a starter, at least, not on this team. I have a hard time believing if Almora struggles they will choose to have him or Jon Jay in the lineup over Baez.

We all know that Joe moves guys around to keep them mentally fresh over the season. You really can not put a box around these players (outside of Russell and Rizzo) and say. He is your every day: Joe doesn't believe in that methodology. Add to it he is pushing for a 6 man rotation over the 2nd half to keep the starter's inning down going into October.

Joe follows his own beat. And it works. He did something no manager did for over 100 years and you don't second guess it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We all know that Joe moves guys around to keep them mentally fresh over the season. You really can not put a box around these players (outside of Russell and Rizzo) and say. He is your every day: Joe doesn't believe in that methodology. Add to it he is pushing for a 6 man rotation over the 2nd half to keep the starter's inning down going into October.

Joe follows his own beat. And it works. He did something no manager did for over 100 years and you don't second guess it.

Who is second guessing it? That was my point. People are penciling in Almora and Jay with Zobrist at second as the majority of starts. I can still see Heyward getting a good amount of time in CF. Also, the reason Maddon could mix and match is because they all performed. He wasnt starting trash just to mix and match. Heyward was the only one not playing well and its obvious why he kept him in.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
My opening night lineup prediction vs. Cardinals and Wainwright..

C. Montero
1B. Rizzo
2B. Zobrist
SS. Russell
3B. Bryant
LF. Schwarber
CF. Jay
RF. Heyward
P. Lester