OT Kapernick gets 6 year/$60M extension

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Why do people like Newton so much? I think he kinda sucks.

Agreed, I can't reconcile this Newton > Kap talk. And, BTW, I don't think Kap is on any kind of HOF trajectory, but I do think he is not too far behind Luck and Wilson in the next-generation of top NFL QBs.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed, I can't reconcile this Newton > Kap talk. And, BTW, I don't think Kap is on any kind of HOF trajectory, but I do think he is not too far behind Luck and Wilson in the next-generation of top NFL QBs.

I like Kap the best of all the 'quick' QBs since he is actually smart enough to slide, but for long term I think I'd take Luck over anyone else. A quick QB losing their legs is just as inevitable as death and taxes.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I like Kap the best of all the 'quick' QBs since he is actually smart enough to slide

Yep, he plays the game smarter than most "running QBs" have. Both with his body (which is big and strong as well as athletic) and with the football. That's why think he's going to end up being a notch above all of them when he hits his prime, which I think he'll be coming into over the next couple of years.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
lol id rather have luck then newton then Wilson then kap that's where I rate him outta the young qbs with the kid in philly next

but if it was reversed and the bears traded for kap id say it was a solid move because they would be younger and have honestly imho a guy whos ceiling is somewhere in the cutler/ romo area

Most people and analysts that actually watch football and pay attention to qb performance, stats, accuracy, reads, etc would obviously agree with you. Newton had an amazing rookie year and broke some serious records. Luck broke some records too. Great passing qb and can run too. Wilson has great touch and is a solid passer. Kap can run but is severly lacking in his reads, accuracy, touch, etc...

RacerX is from No Cal so it is and has been painfully obvious of his bias when talking about the 9ers and their players. I have no problem saying Montana and Young were the best along with Rice but when it is a qb that runs first and needs a ton of work on his passing skills, I have to state the obvious. I am not a fan of the Vick/Kap qb as many of us are not. He got overpayed for being where he is at.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
I am not a big fan of the Newton/Kap/Vick type qbs but here is Newton in his 1st year:

4051 yards, 21 TDs, 253 ypg passing
706 rushing yards, 14 Tds!!

Kaep's 1st year starting:

1814 yards, 10 TDs, 139 ypg
415 rushing yards, only 5 TDs

Still don't know how some people can say Newton sucks when he shattered rookie records and more than doubled Kap's production. If one would say Newton sucks with his 4K passing yards, way more TDs, way more rushing yards and TDs, etc...kinda defies logic for Kap not sucking :slap: those pesky #s really show who is a little biased.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not a big fan of the Newton/Kap/Vick type qbs but here is Newton in his 1st year:

Still don't know how some people can say Newton sucks when he shattered rookie records and more than doubled Kap's production. If one would say Newton sucks with his 4K passing yards, way more TDs, way more rushing yards and TDs, etc...kinda defies logic for Kap not sucking :slap: those pesky #s really show who is a little biased.

Sucking is relative.

edit: I havent seen enough of Newton to say if he is good or bad, so not commenting on that.

All Kap has to do is hand the ball to gore and not throw too many picks while he's carried by the defense, and occasionally make a play with his legs.

That's why he got the $$$, because they think they can win in the post season with him (given their defense and running game). Of course they aren't 100% confident in him, or there wouldn't have been an insurance policy or a de-escalator.

Bottom line is he wasn't paid based on his ability vs X QB or Y QB, but to lock up the single position where a scrub can screw you out of a good season. Personally I think he would have an RG 3-10-esque implosion if asked to win games with his arm on a regular basis, but he isn't in that position in SF.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
here is Newton in his 1st year:

Still don't know how some people can say Newton sucks when he shattered rookie records and more than doubled Kap's production.

All Kap has to do is hand the ball to gore and not throw too many picks while he's carried by the defense, and occasionally make a play with his legs.

That's why he got the $$$, because they think they can win in the post season with him (given their defense and running game). Of course they aren't 100% confident in him, or there wouldn't have been an insurance policy or a de-escalator.

Bottom line is he wasn't paid based on his ability vs X QB or Y QB, but to lock up the single position where a scrub can screw you out of a good season. Personally I think he would have an RG 3-10-esque implosion if asked to win games with his arm on a regular basis, but he isn't in that position in SF.
Both well said. Newton did kick the door down his rookie year, made the Panthers a threat, and his QB rating has gone up each year (2013: 88.8). Last year he was TD 24 Int 13, and 6 rushing TDs, 3,380 passing and 585 rushing. His rushing attempts have gone down by about 20. Panthers went 12-4 last year. He's doing what he needs to do on his team.

Meanwhile, Kap is doing the same thing where he's doing as much as necessary to win. Kap's QB Rating was better than Newton's in 2013 (91.6) and better over those same 3 years. And letting the Defense win games without taking a lot of risks is smart. Kap had nearly the same production as Cam in 2013: 3,200 passing, 524 rushing, TD 21 and Int 8, 4 rushing TD.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
Both well said. Newton did kick the door down his rookie year, made the Panthers a threat, and his QB rating has gone up each year (2013: 88.8). Last year he was TD 24 Int 13, and 6 rushing TDs, 3,380 passing and 585 rushing. His rushing attempts have gone down by about 20. Panthers went 12-4 last year. He's doing what he needs to do on his team.

Meanwhile, Kap is doing the same thing where he's doing as much as necessary to win. Kap's QB Rating was better than Newton's in 2013 (91.6) and better over those same 3 years. And letting the Defense win games without taking a lot of risks is smart. Kap had nearly the same production as Cam in 2013: 3,200 passing, 524 rushing, TD 21 and Int 8, 4 rushing TD.

You are right about that. Kap did a little better last year than his previous year but his inability to put up the points and yards when behind was a glaring weakness that everyone saw. The games where the 9ers were way ahead such as the Jags and Ten, it is a given. However, when getting blown out at home by the Colts and their D holding Kap to under 200 yards and the turnovers is why the ?s about Kap and his reads/accuracy/yards pop up.

I still remember playing Newton the first time when our D was awesome and he fucking shredded us! I could not believe how good he was. He ran and threw bombs on us...I think 400 yards! I was soo stressed that game. Thanks to the bad Car D and ST, we got really lucky. Newton did his job....well. I don't like thee guy but his #s and even rushing >> Kap and he should and will get paid more

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How anyone who thought the Cutler contract was good could at all disparage Kap's contract is insane.

I'm still getting great joy out of watching this board try and dismiss and denigrate Kap's performance with the 49ers because (sic)"all he has to do" is play efficient football, hand the ball off, and let his defense and running game do the work"....

Even boiling it down to that (stupid) talking point he's done that better than Cutler by far and even last season when Cutler had the better surrounding talent on offense(rather easily) Kaepernick still performed more efficiently.

I just don't get this place.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

You are right it does show that pesky bias, unfortunately for you it shows your bias considering the numbers you provided for Kap is for only 7 games started where for Cam it is over a 16 game season. If you break it down on a per game basis:

Cam

253 passing yards/game, 1.3 TD/game, 1.24 TD:Int ratio, 84.5 passer rating
26 rushing yards/game, 0.88 TD/game

Kap

259 passing yards/game, 1.4 TD/game, 3.33 TD:Int ratio, 98.3 passer rating
59 rushing yards/game, .71 TD/game

Stats can be fun when you put them in their full context.

Edit - I also want to point out I am a fan of Cam, so this post wasn't a knock on Cam but to point out how Guano left out an important piece of his puzzle which was games started.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You are right it does show that pesky bias, unfortunately for you it shows your bias considering the numbers you provided for Kap is for only 7 games started where for Cam it is over a 16 game season. If you break it down on a per game basis:

Cam

253 passing yards/game, 1.3 TD/game, 1.24 TD:Int ratio, 84.5 passer rating
26 rushing yards/game, 0.88 TD/game

Kap

259 passing yards/game, 1.4 TD/game, 3.33 TD:Int ratio, 98.3 passer rating
59 rushing yards/game, .71 TD/game

Stats can be fun when you put them in their full context.

Edit - I also want to point out I am a fan of Cam, so this post wasn't a knock on Cam but to point out how Guano left out an important piece of his puzzle which was games started.

miami-punter-flop.gif

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Many get the misconception that Newton sucks because he didn't put up the gaudy numbers he did his rookie year...but as a whole he has improved each year he has been in the league. Cam is a very good QB

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Because he's insanely productive and good.
C Newton:
Team record 25-23
Y/G 235
com% 59.8
TD/INT 64/42
rating 86.4

J Cutler

Team record 56-48
Y/G 230
com% 61
TD/INT 155/112
rating 84.6

Nearly identical. So would that mean Cutler is "insanely productive and good?"

Just like every mediocre white heavy weight boxer is hyped as the great white hope, every mediocre black QB is hyped as the next great black QB. Of course saying next great white boxer is OK, next great black QB... not so much.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

guapo has also posted numerous times how awful Kap's accuracy is in comparison. ]His comp % is absolutely identical to Newton's lol.

Guapo also says that despite Kap's physical talent, he lags behind as a passer. His passer rating in both years has been over 90, averaging 93.8 for his short career so far. Newton has never managed a 90 rating yet.

I'm also a fan of Newton, though I think Kap is going to be the better player. I'd take either over Cutler in a heartbeat.

Guapo is the epitome of a stat cherry-picker. Instead of analyzing the data and coming to a conclusion based off it, he decides what he wants the outcome to be and then posts only the selective stats which go along with that prejudice. Dude just doesn't like Kap, plain and simple. Which is fine. Don't like him all you want, but don't try and imply that he isn't a fantastic young talent worthy of his contract, because the facts say otherwise.

Kap also protects the football extremely well. Only 11 picks in two seasons.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
C Newton:
Team record 25-23
Y/G 235
com% 59.8
TD/INT 64/42
rating 86.4

J Cutler

Team record 56-48
Y/G 230
com% 61
TD/INT 155/112
rating 84.6

Just like every mediocre white heavy weight boxer is hyped as the great white hope, every mediocre black QB is hyped as the next great black QB. Of course saying next great white boxer is OK, next great black QB... not so much.

Newton also gives you another dimension on the ground. He's a "running QB" but even his passing stats are similar to those of a passing QB with eight years experience. Newton >>> Cutler.

Last edited:

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
guapo has also posted numerous times how awful Kap's accuracy is in comparison. His comp % is absolutely identical to Newton's lol.

Guapo also says that despite Kap's physical talent, he lags behind as a passer. His passer rating in both years has been over 90, averaging 93.8 for his short career so far. Newton has never managed a 90 rating yet.

I'm also a fan of Newton, though I think Kap is going to be the better player. I'd take either over Cutler in a heartbeat.

Guapo is a epitome of a stat cherry-picker. Instead of analyzing the data and coming to a conclusion based off it, he decides what he wants the outcome to be and then posts only the selective stats which go along with that prejudice. Dude just doesn't like Kap, plain and simple. Which is fine. Don't like him all you want, but don't try and imply that he isn't a fantastic young talent worthy of his contract, because the facts say otherwise.

Kap also protects the football extremely well. Only 11 picks in two seasons.

The young QB's that are in the league now are going to be a lot of fun to watch over the next 7-10 years. There's Luck, Wilson, Kap, and Cam all who are just impressive young talents...throw in QB's like RG3 who we all know has the talent but was slowed by his injury (I personally think he will bounce back), Ryan who is more of a traditional pocket passer and is still very good, Dalton who is very good, Foles may turn out to be the real deal but still early to say that right now...Just a lot of good young talent at the QB position.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
C Newton:
Team record 25-23
Y/G 235
com% 59.8
TD/INT 64/42
rating 86.4

J Cutler

Team record 56-48
Y/G 230
com% 61
TD/INT 155/112
rating 84.6

LOL Wut?!

Way to ignore Newton's over 2,000 yards rushing and nearly 30 rushing TD's.

Also nice racist rant.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The young QB's that are in the league now are going to be a lot of fun to watch over the next 7-10 years. There's Luck, Wilson, Kap, and Cam all who are just impressive young talents...throw in QB's like RG3 who we all know has the talent but was slowed by his injury (I personally think he will bounce back), Ryan who is more of a traditional pocket passer and is still very good, Dalton who is very good, Foles may turn out to be the real deal but still early to say that right now...Just a lot of good young talent at the QB position.

But I thought you couldn't just draft QB's?!?!?