Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
SF's GM should get a parade thrown in his honor for this deal.

Yeah for as much as Emery/Stein got over the Cutler deal (its a decent now in hindsight) This is exactly the deal that the Bears should have done with Cutler.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Just saying Kaepernick has more playoff wins over the Packers than Cutler has total playoff wins.

His defense is Superbowl ready...

He also had a complete team offensively... a solid O line... a top 3 TE... a top 5 RB... 3 solid WRs...

So yeah he underachieved on offense...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fister you do realize Cutler could have just as easily said fuck that contract, not signing it. There are two parties involved in contract negotiations and in Kap's case he had no leverage at all.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Kaep's contract is a bit weird. He's only guaranteed $13M and the rest of the $60M guarantee comes in the form of an injury-only guarantee, so if the team cuts him there's minimal impact and he won't get that cash. It also has a reverse bonus built into it. Essentially he has an annual de-escalator of $2M. If he doesn't reach certain hurdles (doesn’t take at least 80 percent of the snaps or if he fails to lead the team to the Super Bowl or to be named first-team or second-team AP All-Pro) the 49ers get back that cash.

Anyway, here's the actual cash flow into his pocket if the deal holds:

2014 $13,178,000
2015 $14,800,000
2016 $16,300,000
2017 $18,900,000
2018 $19,400,000
2019 $21,200,000
2020 $23,400,000

Not bad. Let's compare to Cutlers:

2013 $8,970,000
2014 $22,500,000
2015 $15,500,000
2016 $16,000,000
2017 $15,000,000
2018 $16,000,000
2019 $20,000,000
2020 $21,700,000

The deals are really close. I'd say there are a two gaps:

1 - Kaep is younger, so there's a larger chance he can live out the deal
2 - Kaep's guarantee of $60M is largely an injury only guarantee, so essentially you can look at it as a $13M guarantee, which is a lot less. This actually is reflected in the cap savings where the 49ers could cut him next year and take the dead cap space fee of $9,862,400, but create roughtly $7.4M in additional space. Conversely if the Bears wanted to do the same with Cutler they would have $19,500,000 in dead cap space and 0 cap space created.

Overall Kaep's deal is very close with less long term committments despite the falsely advertised '$60M guaranteed'.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
That's what makes Kaep so special; he can achieve greatness in just a few plays.

Yes he can..like the 3 picks and fumble in just a quarter of play that cost his team a SB bid last year. Soo special with amazing accuracy and decision making by throwing it to the wrong team. As usual, you were wrong about Kap and now want 6 more years to say he will be the best :lmao:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
This is the type contract most players would pass on. It's reliant on performance and staying injury free and protects the Niners in case he should get injured. The contract seems to protect the team more than the player, again the type contract most players would shy away from. Either Kaep has a very bad agent or he's every bit as confident in himself and his abilities as he appears to be.
Actually, the contract protects Kap from losing money to injuries.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
Best in the game? Meh. Kap peaked already.

Good, but not great.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
In the grand picture, Cutler's contract will become a lot more "reasonable" in 1-2 years when Kap (just signed a bigger deal) Cam Newton, RG3, Luck, Dalton, Wilson sign. All of those guys will have bigger contracts, putting Cutler back around the 8-12th highest paid QB, which is about where his performance is rated.

Why people failed to realize that when Cutler was first signed is pretty dumb... yet expected.

If he stays on the field for 3 seasons and plays average to good, the cost is nothing.

I just hope in 3 years it looks like a reasonable decision to sign an oft-injured 8 year vet that has yet to hit his potential.
The potential waste of the current offensive roster is a far bigger concern than a potential waste of resources.

malcore

Actually, the contract protects Kap from losing money to injuries.

To a certain extent, but the per game clause could cost him @$125,000 for each game he misses.

"The contract also includes, starting in 2015, a whopping $2 million per year in per-game roster bonuses, an amount that one source characterized as “massive” in comparison to similar deals. It means that, for every game Kaepernick misses due to injury after the 2014 season, he loses $125,000."

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes he can..like the 3 picks and fumble in just a quarter of play that cost his team a SB bid last year. Soo special with amazing accuracy and decision making by throwing it to the wrong team. As usual, you were wrong about Kap and now want 6 more years to say he will be the best :lmao:

What exactly was I wrong about?

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

If you were talking about comp % alone then you may actually have a point but you bring in interceptions...which Kap was in the top ten in Int %, you probably should have stopped just at the accuracy point.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
If you were talking about comp % alone then you may actually have a point but you bring in interceptions...which Kap was in the top ten in Int %, you probably should have stopped just at the accuracy point.

Yeah...because that was a different guy who cost his team a SB bid with his costly turnovers...you should have stopped and not posted instead of looking like an ass and arguing something that actually happened and caused red flags to go way up (Even Steve Young and Montana expressed serious concern).

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah...because that was a different guy who cost his team a SB bid with his costly turnovers...you should have stopped and not posted instead of looking like an ass and arguing something that actually happened and caused red flags to go way up (Even Steve Young and Montana expressed serious concern).

So a QB who threw only 8 int's all season (11 if you included playoffs), is considered a bad QB because he had a bad half against the best defense in the NFL and eventual Super Bowl champion which also shut down a QB who had one of the best season ever as a QB. excellent sample size you have there, it really supports your argument. Let me repeat that for you in a much simpler fashion, you are shitting on a QB who was actually playing in the NFCCG and had his team still in it until basically the last play of the game. Continue to use one game as your sole argument though, its not me that is looking like an ass...i can guarantee you that.

JoshMcCownFTW

Liked Posts:

I get that he made bad mistakes in the NFC Championship Game, but that was against a defense up there with the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs on the road in Seattle where it is VERY common for good QBs to play badly. Peyton Manning and Drew Brees looked bad against that same defense, Aaron Rodgers looked average against that defense in 2012... just saying.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
So a QB who threw only 8 int's all season (11 if you included playoffs), is considered a bad QB because he had a bad half against the best defense in the NFL and eventual Super Bowl champion which also shut down a QB who had one of the best season ever as a QB. excellent sample size you have there, it really supports your argument. Let me repeat that for you in a much simpler fashion, you are shitting on a QB who was actually playing in the NFCCG and had his team still in it until basically the last play of the game. Continue to use one game as your sole argument though, its not me that is looking like an ass...i can guarantee you that.

You really need to learn how to follow the subject at hand. Bearmick said he can achieve greatness is a few plays and I responded with the obvious absolute abysmal failure in a few plays as well for his so-called greatest player in the NFL. Can you follow that line of thought? Makes sense. This is about a running qb who has accuracy problems along with simple read progressions so why not pay him more than HOF qb? Haha

Stop turning this into a debate. And by the way, other qbs fared much much better vs Seattle than 7 or more turnovers in a couple of games so nice logic there. And you can also increase his sample size to getting blown out at home vs the Colts D with his 100 and change passing yards and a pick, or Carolina and his ints at home, or under 200 yards vs the Saints, or multiple picks again vs Seattle when getting blown out. How is that sample size for ya?

Just the facts here so don't get your panties in a bunch. He is just overpayed a bit that's all

Last edited:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Basketball_flop_dive.gif

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You really need to learn how to follow the subject at hand. Bearmick said he can achieve greatness is a few plays and I responded with the obvious absolute abysmal failure in a few plays as well for his so-called greatest player in the NFL. Can you follow that line of thought? Makes sense. This is about a running qb who has accuracy problems along with simple read progressions so why not pay him more than HOF qb? Haha

It seems like you have a problem with following sarcasm and getting an obvious joke. Take a minute to actually read what he was responding too dumbass.

Stop turning this into a debate. And by the way, other qbs fared much much better vs Seattle than 7 or more turnovers in a couple of games so nice logic there. And you can also increase his sample size to getting blown out at home vs the Colts D with his 100 and change passing yards and a pick, or Carolina and his ints at home, or under 200 yards vs the Saints, or multiple picks again vs Seattle when getting blown out. How is that sample size for ya?

Just the facts here so don't get your panties in a bunch. He is just overpayed a bit that's all

This is a message board, the sole purpose is to debate...I'm not going to argue that he hasn't had bad games because he has. But he also had 8 games where he had a rating over 100 and 10 games where he had a rating of 90+. For his first full season as a starter he played well and was relatively efficient. For being a starter for 1.5 seasons he has done incredibly well, the only other players right now that has done better is Wilson and Luck. So I find it odd that you point to the NFCCG as your barometer for him having a bad game considering he was in the NFCCG.

The kid got paid what the market is commanding right now from top QB's, is it more than the HOF QB you are insinuating yes...but that HOF QB got his contract when he was 36 years old coming off multiple neck surgeries with a ton of risk. So not really comparing apples to apples. Like I said earlier in this thread, he is young, he is an incredible athlete, and has been a major part of 2 of the past 3 playoff runs SF has had. And now seeing that the contract has built in safety nets to protect the team from any injuries Kap may sustain, it is very hard to see this as a bad deal for the 49ers. He will only be considered overpaid if he stays healthy and starts to tank...if he improves and continues to improve over the contract he will turn into a major bargain considering how QB contracts are going these days

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
It seems like you have a problem with following sarcasm and getting an obvious joke. Take a minute to actually read what he was responding too dumbass.

This is a message board, the sole purpose is to debate...I'm not going to argue that he hasn't had bad games because he has. But he also had 8 games where he had a rating over 100 and 10 games where he had a rating of 90+. For his first full season as a starter he played well and was relatively efficient. For being a starter for 1.5 seasons he has done incredibly well, the only other players right now that has done better is Wilson and Luck. So I find it odd that you point to the NFCCG as your barometer for him having a bad game considering he was in the NFCCG.

The kid got paid what the market is commanding right now from top QB's, is it more than the HOF QB you are insinuating yes...but that HOF QB got his contract when he was 36 years old coming off multiple neck surgeries with a ton of risk. So not really comparing apples to apples. Like I said earlier in this thread, he is young, he is an incredible athlete, and has been a major part of 2 of the past 3 playoff runs SF has had. And now seeing that the contract has built in safety nets to protect the team from any injuries Kap may sustain, it is very hard to see this as a bad deal for the 49ers. He will only be considered overpaid if he stays healthy and starts to tank...if he improves and continues to improve over the contract he will turn into a major bargain considering how QB contracts are going these days

Wow...the panties are indeed bunched up. No need to get up in arms. You just need to follow Bearmick's claim from way back about being the best (serious too) and how he can be amazing for a few plays which anyone can also point to several games where he was just plain bad...which I pointed out...."dumbass". You need to follow a little better and not be soo biased.

And as I pointed out again, it was not just the NFCCG, how about the Colts game or Seattle early this year? Colts D was really bad and he couldn't even score...in prevent, Carolina as well...etc. These are just the facts about Kap when he is behind he can't even throw for yards or let alone score TDs along with his accuracy and read issues that soo many posters have pointed out (along with Montana lol). And about top qbs....He is not. Peyton Brady Brees Rodgers are tops...heck even Andrew Luck and Wilson are better.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow...the panties are indeed bunched up. No need to get up in arms. You just need to follow Bearmick's claim from way back about being the best (serious too) and how he can be amazing for a few plays which anyone can also point to several games where he was just plain bad...which I pointed out...."dumbass". You need to follow a little better and not be soo biased.

And as I pointed out again, it was not just the NFCCG, how about the Colts game or Seattle early this year? Colts D was really bad and he couldn't even score...in prevent, Carolina as well...etc. These are just the facts about Kap when he is behind he can't even throw for yards or let alone score TDs along with his accuracy and read issues that soo many posters have pointed out (along with Montana lol). And about top qbs....He is not. Peyton Brady Brees Rodgers are tops...heck even Andrew Luck and Wilson are better.

So you rank him 7th then, and way younger than 4 of them?