OT Kapernick gets 6 year/$60M extension

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fair enough. I can understand your points, but you're right, we'll just have to wait and see.

What I do find incredibly interesting as well is how there was much yelling about Newton not being able to do a damn thing on his own Vs. the 9ers and how he was over matched.
Fast forward to the next week, and the far more offensively loaded 49ers crapped their pants against the seahawks.

Newton vs the 9ers actually had a superior game with MUCH less help than Kaepernick had vs. the seahawks a week later.

Kaep has the supporting cast, and he is going to look much better in the next couple years... but I really do think they are similar guys- incredible athletes that have not yet learned the position at a high level because their talent allowed them to succeed despite not having a firm grasp on the intricities.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
10 games under 200 yards passing. I understand that's the going rate nowadays, but shit...

To the kid's credit...he has to play three other scary good defenses six times a year. He also drew Carolina twice last year if you count the playoffs.

He did average 5.7 yards rushing in the regular season....bump that to over seven yards if you count his playoff games.

He's young and in two seasons won four playoff games with his team. I gotta say it was a good move by the Niners and I think he will have a career year this season to prove it.

Doug Grohlin

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's comical that people are so quick to judge this extension for Kaepernick, but praise the extension for Cutler. I like Cutler, but take off the homer-goggles. Smart move by the 49ers.

I think it was dumb seeing as they had him locked up another year. Kap wasn't going anywhere, they should have let it play out.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
In the grand picture, Cutler's contract will become a lot more "reasonable" in 1-2 years when Kap (just signed a bigger deal) Cam Newton, RG3, Luck, Dalton, Wilson sign. All of those guys will have bigger contracts, putting Cutler back around the 8-12th highest paid QB, which is about where his performance is rated.

Why people failed to realize that when Cutler was first signed is pretty dumb... yet expected.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
To the kid's credit...he has to play three other scary good defenses six times a year. He also drew Carolina twice last year if you count the playoffs.

He did average 5.7 yards rushing in the regular season....bump that to over seven yards if you count his playoff games.

He's young and in two seasons won four playoff games with his team. I gotta say it was a good move by the Niners and I think he will have a career year this season to prove it.

I just don't trust that he's going to stay healthy if he doesn't greatly improve his passing because that all that running he does is going to catch up to him quickly with the hits he's going to take.

Chinese

Liked Posts:
In the grand picture, Cutler's contract will become a lot more "reasonable" in 1-2 years when Kap (just signed a bigger deal) Cam Newton, RG3, Luck, Dalton, Wilson sign. All of those guys will have bigger contracts, putting Cutler back around the 8-12th highest paid QB, which is about where his performance is rated.

Why people failed to realize that when Cutler was first signed is pretty dumb... yet expected.

The truth is at the end it doesn't matter what Cutler got and how good of a deal. If he does not improve and we do not make it to the playoffs then it's a terrible deal. I know it's a team sport but if he is getting paid top dollar he needs to show up consistently which history until now shows he just isn't that kind of QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Zero chance. Wilson is an excellent player. He'll get his payday and it will be big.

Perhaps. And I liked him except his Surface commercial annoys the living shit out of me.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Zero chance. Wilson is an excellent player. He'll get his payday and it will be big.

Completely agree. Wilson fits the mold of the "face of the franchise". He is squeaky clean and very marketable. Plus he is a very good QB. SEA won't let him go.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
I think it's comical that people are so quick to judge this extension for Kaepernick, but praise the extension for Cutler. I like Cutler, but take off the homer-goggles. Smart move by the 49ers.

Could you imagine the uproar there would be if Cutler threw for an average of 200 yards per game? Kaepernick and Wilson are not asked to do much with their teams having elite defenses on the other side. How will they perform when their contracts force them to lose talent on the other side of the ball and they actually have to do it all remains to be seen. Could you see either of these quarterbacks ever throwing for 4,000 yards a season?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
As for Kap's contract, that was the going rate (thanks Cutler!).

I do think SF could have waited another year to extend cap, but it could have costed a little more however. The thing with Kap is that he has a very high ceiling but in reality, he's a very new player.

Basically, SF gave a QB the richest contract in the NFL (or close to it) to a player with only 2 seasons worth of starts under his belt. He's had great success in those two seasons, however.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
I still don't like Kap. He's by far my least favorite of the current young generation of QBs.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
I still don't like Kap. He's by far my least favorite of the current young generation of QBs.

I think a lot of the dislike towards him is because of how he became a starting QB. Wilson, Newton were starting right away, because the team had no other options. Kap stole the starting spot away from when Smith got injured, when Smith was playing great football.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I think a lot of the dislike towards him is because of how he became a starting QB. Wilson, Newton were starting right away, because the team had no other options. Kap stole the starting spot away from when Smith got injured, when Smith was playing great football.

Nah, I think it has to do more with his attitude. He's pretty smug and quite frankly not very personable.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies

I think a lot of the dislike towards him is because he can't read a defense, reacts poorly to pressure, makes poor decisions with the football and (from what I've watched) goes on streaks of horrible inaccuracy.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Could you imagine the uproar there would be if Cutler threw for an average of 200 yards per game? Kaepernick and Wilson are not asked to do much with their teams having elite defenses on the other side.

The reason Kaep and Wilson don't post video game numbers is because they don't have to, not because they aren't able to. A glance at their respective passer ratings tells you that they're efficient enough throwing the ball when they do. Cutler has played with good defenses on the Bears and not performed anywhere near as efficiently as either of these two young guys. Even if they don't throw 300 yards a game, when they do throw they do it well and they take care of the ball which keeps their teams in games regardless of what else is going on. They're winners. In their short careers so far they've shown themselves to have the "winning gene" much more than Cutler has in his 8 seasons.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nah, I think it has to do more with his attitude. He's pretty smug and quite frankly not very personable.

Agreed. I personally like him, but I'm an asshole so that doesn't say anything for him. But I think a lot of people just really dislike his look combined with an attitude that isn't all-American apple pie like Luck and Wilson. Screw that. I think Kaep is a cool dude.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
The reason Kaep and Wilson don't post video game numbers is because they don't have to, not because they aren't able to. A glance at their respective passer ratings tells you that they're efficient enough throwing the ball when they do. Cutler has played with good defenses on the Bears and not performed anywhere near as efficiently as either of these two young guys. Even if they don't throw 300 yards a game, when they do throw they do it well and they take care of the ball which keeps their teams in games regardless of what else is going on. They're winners. In their short careers so far they've shown themselves to have the "winning gene" much more than Cutler has in his 8 seasons.

Here's his stats:

Averaging 174 passing yards, 1.1 TD's, 32 rushing yards and a 59.8% CMP%...if Cutler did that even with the playoff success the niners have had you'd be bitching your dick off about how "if the Bears just had a competent qb they'd win the super bowl!!!!!!".

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Here's his stats:

Averaging 174 passing yards, 1.1 TD's, 32 rushing yards and a 59.8% CMP%...if Cutler did that even with the playoff success the niners have had you'd be bitching your dick off about how "if the Bears just had a competent qb they'd win the super bowl!!!!!!".

If Cutler was as efficient and limited costly errors to the level of Kaep I would love it.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
If Cutler was as efficient and limited costly errors to the level of Kaep I would love it.

If Kaep tried to do what Cutler did he would be less efficient and make costly errors. I have as much evidence as you do in your belief he still would efficient, zero.