OT Kapernick gets 6 year/$60M extension

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure why anybody would be surprised at Kaep getting big money. He is exactly what you are looking for. A young QB, with many years ahead of him, that has already proven that he is good enough to win playoff games and take you as far as you can. 49ers are set at QB.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Russell Wilson is walking around with the mother of all erections.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not sure why anybody would be surprised at Kaep getting big money. He is exactly what you are looking for. A young QB, with many years ahead of him, that has already proven that he is good enough to win playoff games and take you as far as you can. 49ers are set at QB.

My worry is that 9/10 times he has the better team and he does not put up great numbers.

Why does he have mediocre stats with 6-8 Pro Bowlers on offense?

JoshMcCownFTW

Liked Posts:
My worry is that 9/10 times he has the better team and he does not put up great numbers.

Why does he have mediocre stats with 6-8 Pro Bowlers on offense?

Well the 49ers don't ask him to throw as much as other teams so his passing stats aren't great. I still don't think he is worth that contract though, he an above-average QB at this point and I think a more refined version of him that makes less mistakes in critical moments is Russell Wilson. Andrew Luck is best pocket passer of the three, and has to carry a team that doesn't have a terrific defense or running game.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

It is shocking that they would shovel cash at him like that seeing how Vick and Newton have fared without a tremendous supporting cast.
Smith would have been good enough in 12 and 13 to emulate the playoff runs, perhaps even better suited to.

Good for Kaep- but I see fools gold with him. Yes, he can run. Rarely does he pass for a shit-ton of yards, no big deal overall, but it is alarming to say the least how his numbers shake out on a game by game basis.
He is 11-1 td to int when ahead. 5-5 when behind. 5-2 when tied.
His completion percentage is high when ahead, sub 55% when behind.
In closely contested games, he is not that effective.
In blowout wins, he exploits the other teams 8 and 9 man fronts with run fakes.

He is light years ahead of Rex Grossmans skill, but I see the same tendencies and the same inability to impose his offense on a similar opponent without a lead and legit run threat to stack the deck.

The guy is surrounded by road-graders... even at the skill positions. Gore, Even Boldin and Davis are heavy hitters that can clear a running lane. It is no shocker that he can move the ball with his feet.
Mobility like that will suffer down the road as the multitude of talent around him starts to dry up, and I think the 9ers will be left with an average passer at that point.
Worth having, yes- but the cost is incredible.

All opinion on my part, but I just think Kaepernick is a good player that landed in an astounding position and is being paid far more than market value.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well the 49ers don't ask him to throw as much as other teams so his passing stats aren't great. I still don't think he is worth that contract though, he an above-average QB at this point and I think a more refined version of him that makes less mistakes in critical moments is Russell Wilson. Andrew Luck is best pocket passer of the three, and has to carry a team that doesn't have a terrific defense or running game.

I would agree that Luck is the best pocket passer of the three. Nobody is claiming Kaep is a pocket passer (though a 91.6 rating shows he's a decent enough passer to make it work). He's a QB of the new generation. An offensive weapon that can do a multitude of things, and some of them are things that QBs like Luck can't give you.

The main difference is that pocket passers need other players to do their jobs for the play to succeed. If Luck's receivers are covered and there's pressure coming, the play is over unless he has a big lane to run in. A breakdown in protection or blanket coverage downfield in the Niners offense doesn't kill the play. That's what makes Kaep so valuable.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wonder if there is any chance Seattle decides Wilson is not worth 60+ million in guarantees.

Zero chance. Wilson is an excellent player. He'll get his payday and it will be big.

winterwarz

Passing yards per game in 2013:

10 games under 200 yards passing. I understand that's the going rate nowadays, but shit...

He was under contract for another year. He had no leverage. The Niners should've waited a year and reassessed the situation after this season. Dumb.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed airtime, he really struggles if his first read isn't open and because of that he shows the ability to create with his athleticism, that's what makes him special IMO. But I would not call him a "great" passer so far in his young career.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
I think it's comical that people are so quick to judge this extension for Kaepernick, but praise the extension for Cutler. I like Cutler, but take off the homer-goggles. Smart move by the 49ers.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Every starting QB in the NFL that gets a new contract will be getting more next offseason. Thats how shit works, even without the cap going up to 160m. Are you feeling alright? And your idea of 9ers doing anything without a QB is just Special person.

Its not the next season, that's why. The Salary Cap won't change until a month after the super bowl. If he tears his ACL, then you get him for 16-18 a year, not 21.
Second... Hes the weakest link on that offense. They would still be a high odds super bowl team with half the starting QB's in the league playing for them.
Third... a differing opinion results in name calling? Good argument and debate tactics there.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think it's comical that people are so quick to judge this extension for Kaepernick, but praise the extension for Cutler. I like Cutler, but take off the homer-goggles. Smart move by the 49ers.

No joke. He's a 26 year old QB with a high playoff pedigree already and a variety of ways to help win you ball games. He's significantly younger, healthier and more versatile than Cutler. His passer rating is even better than Cutler's and he isn't even a pocket passer. Yet $64 mill for Cutler is awesome and $60 for Kaep is dumb.

You hit the nail on the head - homer goggles.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Zero chance. Wilson is an excellent player. He'll get his payday and it will be big.

I agree he will get his money. But we have now gotten to the point where non elite Qbs (Cutler, Ryan, Romo, and possibly soon Wilson and Smith) are getting monster deals. Rodgers only got 35 million in guarantees and he is probably the best QB in the game. 37 million for Brees. Obviously a big part of it is timing...

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't either, but I do think he's going to be a great player.
ahhhh.... now I get it!
You like him because he reminds you of grossman as well!

Just fucking with you. I do however find it interesting that you like him so much.

I can't knock it- he has made great plays with his feet- but I just cannot jump on board with the admirers. Mobility doesn't last and I don't see much growth as a passer. The good numbers while in an advantageous game situation don't sell me when I see him struggle in a close game.

Time will tell.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
ahhhh.... now I get it!
You like him because he reminds you of grossman as well!

Just fucking with you. I do however find it interesting that you like him so much.

I can't knock it- he has made great plays with his feet- but I just cannot jump on board with the admirers. Mobility doesn't last and I don't see much growth as a passer. The good numbers while in an advantageous game situation don't sell me when I see him struggle in a close game.

Time will tell.

Fair enough. I can understand your points, but you're right, we'll just have to wait and see.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

From what I can tell the main argument there is about his sample size. Which at best is small. There was no need to extend him when they don't even have two years of tape on him. I would hardly call that a smart move.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
$60M guaranteed for a running QB? Yikes!