Payton: Cutler can be an elite quarterback

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's not worthless in this discussion? You'll always have the ones who cling to every excuse imaginable and those who just think Cutler's been no good regardless. Not many people here as objective as me, ya know?

I think the main problem in all threads like this is it seems like everyone wants everyone else to think exactly like they do. When that doesnt work the thread turns into pages of stupidity. I agree with a lot of what you post in regards to everything except Cutler. But I dont have to agree with you to have a discussion. It is when people come in the thread and say stupid shit is when it gets outta control. Not that you are saying stupid shit at this point in time.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
I think the main problem in all threads like this is it seems like everyone wants everyone else to think exactly like they do. When that doesnt work the thread turns into pages of stupidity. I agree with a lot of what you post in regards to everything except Cutler. But I dont have to agree with you to have a discussion. It is when people come in the thread and say stupid shit is when it gets outta control. Not that you are saying stupid shit at this point in time.

This...at one point in time many pages ago there was a good discussion going on

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:

That's the key... Ppl have a hard time on this board if you disagree with them on anything, It's a dictatorship on this board, If you don't agree with them you must be stupid or illiterate...

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks for clarifying that. I think everybody reaches a point where they give up on a player who was said to have all the tools and potential but never panned out. I was quicker than most to give up on Rex. No doubt I'm ahead of the pack again in giving up on Jay.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Sack percentage is a joke stat...got it. It must be a joke because it measures the percentage of the time a QB gets sacked. Thats a difficult stat to understand/comprehend.

I called sack % is a joke stat because it doesn't take into account the number of players kept in for pass protection. If you watched games you know the Bears kept in more blockers than the Packers. If you think comparing the Packers 5 blockers versus the Bears 8 blockers is worthwhile, go for it. I think it is completely meaningless and produces misleading stats.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
And then the discussion becomes completely peripheral because the "naysayers" run out of actual points, and instead redirect the discussion to something almost completely irrelevent. Look at pages 9-11...if you tie it in to the actual discussion, you'd conclude that Jay Cutler would be an elite QB if either a) he was on the Cleveland Browns, or b) the Bears had Coby Fleener at TE.

Its preposterous. Then when something tangible and relevant is brought up (sack% relative to other teams), its immediately pooh-poohed as being worthless...as if the discussion hadn't already devolved to worthlessness. Its like people such as Willis1524 still think that an actual, good discussion is taking place. Stop it!

Im still laughing at rodney's request to provide another QB who has done more with less...a list was provided...then requested done more with less and played in a harder division, won the division, with a bad o-line with johnny knox and Hester

That whole conversation wasn't even worth a facepalm

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I called sack % is a joke stat because it doesn't take into account the number of players kept in for pass protection. If you watched games you know the Bears kept in more blockers than the Packers. If you think comparing the Packers 5 blockers versus the Bears 8 blockers is worthwhile, go for it. I think it is completely meaningless and produces misleading stats.

Irrelevant.

Jay was sacked 10 times in 650+ pass attempts his last year in Denver.

Now he just holds on to the ball too long.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I could post the statistical data that showed Cutler holds on to the ball much longer than 95% of the QBs in the NFL...but I don't want to take the time and dig up that old thread, because it would just be pooh-poohed in a different manner. "Jay holds on to the ball because he doesn't have any WRs to throw to and the Bears are in max protect"...yadda yadda yadda.

Whatever.

He must have just got lucky that year.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Irrelevant.

Jay was sacked 10 times in 650+ pass attempts his last year in Denver.

Now he just holds on to the ball too long.

The number of blockers kept in to protect the QB is "Irrelevant"? You don't really watch the games do you?

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Whatever.

He must have just got lucky that year.

Cutlers Sack totals by year

2006 - 13 (in 5 games) 2.6/game
2007 - 27 1.69/game
2008 - 11 0.69/game
2009 - 35 2.19/game
2010 - 52 3.47/game
2011 - 23 2.30/game
2012 - 38 2.53/game

from the looks of it that year was more of an outlier

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
But in the years 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 the Broncos/Bears were in "max protect" for the entire year. Very misleading and meaningless for you to have posted that.

Well "max protect" is irrelevant

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And then the discussion becomes completely peripheral because the "naysayers" run out of actual points, and instead redirect the discussion to something almost completely irrelevent. Look at pages 9-11...if you tie it in to the actual discussion, you'd conclude that Jay Cutler would be an elite QB if either a) he was on the Cleveland Browns, or b) the Bears had Coby Fleener at TE.

Its preposterous. Then when something tangible and relevant is brought up (sack% relative to other teams), its immediately pooh-poohed as being worthless...as if the discussion hadn't already devolved to worthlessness. Its like people such as Willis1524 still think that an actual, good discussion is taking place. Stop it!

No one said either of those things bolded.

What is the point talking about sack % ?? Is it to point out the the Bears Oline is as good as others ? Or that Cutler holds the ball longer then others ?

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Cutlers Sack totals by year

2006 - 13 (in 5 games) 2.6/game
2007 - 27 1.69/game
2008 - 11 0.69/game
2009 - 35 2.19/game
2010 - 52 3.47/game
2011 - 23 2.30/game
2012 - 38 2.53/game

from the looks of it that year was more of an outlier

Ha you looked at it per game, thats funny.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears