Payton: Cutler can be an elite quarterback

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Cutlers Sack totals by year

2006 - 13 (in 5 games) 2.6/game
2007 - 27 1.69/game
2008 - 11 0.69/game
2009 - 35 2.19/game
2010 - 52 3.47/game
2011 - 23 2.30/game
2012 - 38 2.53/game

from the looks of it that year was more of an outlier

OK fine.. starts with a "p" ends in "ass attempts."

Don't know why, but I will entertain you...but I have a funny feeling you are still going to look dumb when I am finished.

As you can see I attached my per game figures. Now I am going to take his pass attempts and divide them by his sacks to get his attempts per sack....let me spell it out for you, it will show how many drop backs he takes before he gets sacked on a ratio basis.

2006 - 137 attempts/13 sacks = 10.54

2007 - 467 attempts/27 sacks = 16.19

2008 - 616 attempts/11 sacks = 56.00

2009 - 555 attempts/35 sacks = 15.86

2010 - 432 attempts/52 sacks = 8.31

2011 - 314 attempts/23 sacks = 13.65

2012 - 434 attempts/38 sacks = 11.42

The higher the number is the better ratio...ie you want more pass attempts per sack

So final conclusion, yes the 2008 season was the outlier season

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What about 2007... his second "luckiest" year?

It's pretty much in line with 2009. If you kick out both the high and low outliers....You're talking about ranges that are pretty close together.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Yes, how hard do you want to run a train on FT and Rory as you piggyback their posts?

I'm unaware of this piggybacking...but if true...does that mean you want to run a train on PIB & Willis?

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm unaware of this piggybacking...but if true...does that mean you want to run a train on PIB & Willis?

Quit playing dumb. You know exactly what I am talking about. You have no original thoughts and get off on riding FT and Rory's dicks.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one said either of those things bolded.

What is the point talking about sack % ?? Is it to point out the the Bears Oline is as good as others ? Or that Cutler holds the ball longer then others ?
Seriously if you watched football, besides the Bears, from week to week you'd see many lines struggling nowadays. With the Bears, it always seems like they have those games where the line just lays down and gives up 5 or even more sacks, then you see everybody here talking about how they're the worst ever but, in more games than not, the line wasn't that horrible. In 10 of 15 games in which Cutler played, they gave up 2 sacks or less so it certainly was not the only thing holding the Bears' offense back. Many of the whiners on this board are asses and act like the Bears are the only team that ever uses max protect or they see a couple of plays in the season where there's only BM going out and suddenly they turn it into something that happened all the time. Just a lot of complete ignorance with these crybabies.

Defensive players on the line are better athletes now and can wreak havoc against just about any team. People can continue acting like the Bears line is the worst in the league and if it gets fixed they'll be world beaters but that's not the way it really is. As far as sacks given up and QB hits, there's not much separating the lines that are said to be average or better to the Bears' line. The Bears gave up the 8th highest amount of sacks w/44. Teams like the Cowboys would be right in the middle and they gave up only 6 less sacks and remember Campbell took 6 sacks in that 1 game against the Niners so that should show you there's not much difference at all there. If you want to talk QB hits, no QB took nearly as many hits as Andrew Luck yet he still went to the playoffs.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Seriously if you watched football, besides the Bears, from week to week you'd see many lines struggling nowadays. With the Bears, it always seems like they have those games where the line just lays down and gives up 5 or even more sacks, then you hear everybody hear talking about how they're the worst ever but, in more games than not, the line wasn't that horrible. In 10 of 15 games in which Cutler played, they gave up 2 sacks or less so it certainly was not the only thing holding the Bears' offense back. Many of the whiners on this board are asses and act like the Bears are the only team that ever uses max protect or they see a couple of plays in the season where there's only BM going out and suddenly they turn it into something that happened all the time. Just a lot of complete ignorance with these crybabies.

Defensive players on the line are better athletes now and can wreak havoc against just about any team. People can continue acting like the Bears line is the worst in the league and if it gets fixed they'll be world beaters but that's not the way it really is. As far as sacks given up and QB hits, there's not much separating the lines that are said to be average or better to the Bears' line. The Bears gave up the 8th highest amount of sacks w/44. Teams like the Cowboys would be right in the middle and they gave up only 6 less sacks and remember Campbell took 6 sacks in that 1 game against the Niners so that should show you there's not much difference at all there. If you want to talk QB hits, no QB took nearly as many hits as Andrew Luck yet he still went to the playoffs.

QUIT MAKING SENSE!

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Quit playing dumb. You know exactly what I am talking about. You have no original thoughts and get off on riding FT and Rory's dicks.

No I don't actually.

So...are you just playing dumb...or have no original thoughts?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Seriously if you watched football, besides the Bears, from week to week you'd see many lines struggling nowadays.

QFT.

Even Hub Arkush, who many believe hates the bears and never says anything positive, has said numerous times that as mediocre and inconsistent as the Bears OL is, it is NOT the worst in the NFL and is far from being the only line that's questionable when it comes to pass protection. It's a pretty well accepted fact that the NFL today has a LOT of bad O lines. Speaking to the Cutler fanboys you'd think that the Bears is the only one.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Seriously if you watched football, besides the Bears, from week to week you'd see many lines struggling nowadays. With the Bears, it always seems like they have those games where the line just lays down and gives up 5 or even more sacks, then you see everybody here talking about how they're the worst ever but, in more games than not, the line wasn't that horrible. In 10 of 15 games in which Cutler played, they gave up 2 sacks or less so it certainly was not the only thing holding the Bears' offense back. Many of the whiners on this board are asses and act like the Bears are the only team that ever uses max protect or they see a couple of plays in the season where there's only BM going out and suddenly they turn it into something that happened all the time. Just a lot of complete ignorance with these crybabies.

2 QB's, 1 line, same high sack total = QBs fault
:andruw:

Got it!

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
QFT.

Even Hub Arkush, who many believe hates the bears and never says anything positive, has said numerous times that as mediocre and inconsistent as the Bears OL is, it is NOT the worst in the NFL and is far from being the only line that's questionable when it comes to pass protection. It's a pretty well accepted fact that the NFL today has a LOT of bad O lines. Speaking to the Cutler fanboys you'd think that the Bears is the only one.

Agreed. And while I generally agree with this idea that most OL's in the NFL are pretty shakey or average or whatever. i think what hurts the Bears or makes them seem so bad is that guys like Webb, look some incompetent. It's one thing for sack numbers to inflate due to more passing etc, even if you have a good OL that gives up sacks as a result with competent players on it...the Bears just seem to have a few too many turds on it.