Peter Gammons: "it's a dump, Wrigley Field."

TheCubfather

Holy Cow!
Liked Posts:
why they spent the money on pena is beyond me. hell maybe ownership felt they could contend...who knows.

I guess they have to make it look like they are trying

sadly, to make it look like they're trying has worked for the past decade or so. fortunately it seems that fans are starting to wake up and realize that it's not good enough.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
why they spent the money on pena is beyond me. hell maybe ownership felt they could contend...who knows.

I guess they have to make it look like they are trying

The Pena contract was actually fairly cheap and the fact that they deferred it makes it even better. Not a bad contract at all.

The Garza trade though was beyond Special person.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
sadly, to make it look like they're trying has worked for the past decade or so. fortunately it seems that fans are starting to wake up and realize that it's not good enough.

to a degree. Baseball attendance is down across the board. The economy has ALOT to do with it, and anyone who thinks it doesnt needs to pick up a classified ad.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Pena contract was actually fairly cheap and the fact that they deferred it makes it even better. Not a bad contract at all.

The Garza trade though was beyond Special person.

The Garza trade is humerous.

the pena contract shows that the cubs really are nickel and diming....just one of many indicators that the cubs will not get fielder/pujols

TheCubfather

Holy Cow!
Liked Posts:
to a degree. Baseball attendance is down across the board. The economy has ALOT to do with it, and anyone who thinks it doesnt needs to pick up a classified ad.

not basing my comment on attendance alone. general feelings about the team are down to a low i haven't seen them in years. it's about time IMO. time to make the front office accountable for what they pay for on the field. clean house and make this team a contender.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

the pena contract shows that the cubs really are nickel and diming....just one of many indicators that the cubs will not get fielder/pujols
How does the Pena signing indicate anything about a Fielder/Pujols signing?

If anything, it says that they are more likely to sign one of them, since they just got Pena for a year.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really think some of you should take a business course to get an idea of what the hell some of you are talking about instead of this garbage thats spewing. Im not saying you have to be a business owner, but you have to know some of the basics. to think that a payroll is going to hit 120 million is crazy.

Lol.

There is no way this payroll sits very far below 120 if it does go below 120.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

I figured it would've done them better to save that $ for the draft or for some Dominican kid than to spend it on Pena. Just put Baker at 1B or even move Soriano there since he's not an OF anyway hehe.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

If anything, it says that they are more likely to sign one of them, since they just got Pena for a year.

This is true to an extent because they were looking to 2012 to add a power bat at 1B who could be good long-term. However, that was assuming that Wrigley Field would sell out no matter what. That is obviously not true, so being that there's been a cut in revenue, there will most likely be no Pujols/Fielder in pinstripes.

Just a thought.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hah, except I'm not Catholic. I'm a real Christian, so I actually read the Bible and stuff.
Yeah because I know I never read the Bible growing up or anything or we have readings from it every week at Mass.

LOL at this shit.

Way to take a joke.

let's just look at it this way. didn't Boston fans feel the same way during their 88-year drought
It was 86 years asshole! :)

:smug:

I didn't think the Garza trade was that bad really..and we won't know for a few years how good or bad it is as we wait to see what Guyer, Archer, and Lee do at the MLB level.

Lol.

Why not?

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is true to an extent because they were looking to 2012 to add a power bat at 1B who could be good long-term. However, that was assuming that Wrigley Field would sell out no matter what. That is obviously not true, so being that there's been a cut in revenue, there will most likely be no Pujols/Fielder in pinstripes.

Just a thought.

Attendance is only on pace to be about 245000 below last years. Or under 10%. It's not like it's down 30% or something, and in order to fill the seats they need a winner and in order to get a winner they will have to sign one of the big two.

Fielder will be here next year bank on it.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
TELL ME TO READ IT AGAIN, FIRST TIMER. YOU HAVEN'T TOLD ME TO READ IT ENOUGH TIMES YET, ******.

I also wasn't aware "real Christians" called other people ******s.

Weird.

Look that one up in the Bible for me.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Im talking about the money being deferred. jesus. again sign up for the sig bet that you DO NOT get either pujols or fielder.

Lol.

lol? why do you think that. please explain.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Attendance is only on pace to be about 245000 below last years. Or under 10%. It's not like it's down 30% or something, and in order to fill the seats they need a winner and in order to get a winner they will have to sign one of the big two.

At $50 a ticket that's 12.25 million dollars.

What exactly are the Cubs going to do to convince Fielder to come here? What's the pitch?

The team is and has been bad, the facilities suck etc.

There are other teams with better cores of players in better stadiums with better teams with the money to get Fielder.

I just don't see WHY Fielder would want to come here and why you feel so confident about it.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

here we go again. werent cubs fans saying that about peavy, brian roberts twice, and adam dunn.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At $50 a ticket that's 12.25 million dollars.

What exactly are the Cubs going to do to convince Fielder to come here? What's the pitch?

The team is and has been bad, the facilities suck etc.

hypothetically lets say the cubs sign fielder, does that make them instant contenders for a WS? I still say that even if they get him they will not be contenders.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
hypothetically lets say the cubs sign fielder, does that make them instant contenders for a WS?

No.

I wasn't confident the Bulls would James, Wade or Bosh....and am even less confident the Cubs get Fielder.

There are other teams with better cores of players in better stadiums with better teams with the money to get Fielder.

I just don't see WHY Fielder would want to come here and why you(poodski) feel so confident about it.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Next year's Cubs core will be pretty much the same as this year, minus Fukudome (gone), Grabow (gone because he sucks), Ramirez (buyout because he's not good anymore), Pena (gone) and whoever they decide to trade away.

Just because they have money, also, doesn't mean they have to spend it.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also wasn't aware "real Christians" called other people ******s.

Weird.

Look that one up in the Bible for me.

I never said I was perfect.

But Jesus never had to talk to you on an internet forum before. So, I'm sure he'll forgive me.