SCF-6/17 Game 3: Blackhawks (1) vs Bruins (1) NBCS 7PM CST.

Ton

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Mikita's Helmet" data-cid="201455" data-time="1371534886">
<div>

Bolland used to finish those on the PP, too.</p>

</p>

...even Seabs.  sigh!</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

They don't even try it anymore... they set up an overload, which is very frustrating when they can't get a cycle going... good PK's can put pressure and disrupt the flow which causes a lot of scrambling. At times they do a 1-3-1 — ineffective IMO when they try because they stand still and don't move the puck fast enough, if they do, the shot doesn't come off quick enough and the lane closes.  They never play a spread (backdoor play) anymore, even though it was their most effective strategy in 2010. As far as I can see, they haven't tried the umbrella in many many years, either.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
for those of you closer to the club and if any of you ever get sneak peaks into practice. What do they do durring it? Do they run PP drills at all with effort or just half ass them in practice too? Do they bother working on face off drills? I know these guys are pros and "practice" is just that "practice" but even pros need some seasoning on some basic shit. Simply disgusting the pp and the face offs. Again the 2 main concerns going into the playoffs and neither have been corrected in any ways. This cant sustain itself against a good team like Boston. It simply can't. Bostons too fucking good for this bullshit fundamental shit the hawks can't get past.</p>

</p>

Fuck Toews Im done with that guy for the rest of the playoffs. Don't expect one single goal from him this series at this point. After Lucic hammered him and nearly destroyed him I don't expect him to be that productive on the back end of the game now either...which he was horrible at tonight by the way.</p>

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
They need to send the whole team to face-off school, that's for sure.</p>

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They need Bickell in front of the net on the PP. Shots from the points low for rebounds, shots from bad angles for rebounds, we need to get a dirty, greasy PP goal, quick.</p>

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Canadian Dreamalchuk" data-cid="201457" data-time="1371536479">
<div>

Fuck Toews Im done with that guy for the rest of the playoffs. Don't expect one single goal from him this series at this point. After Lucic hammered him and nearly destroyed him I don't expect him to be that productive on the back end of the game now either...which he was horrible at tonight by the way.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

What's really odd, and perplexing, is his goal in game 5 in Detroit and his assist on the Bickell goal.  I thought he was back, but.</p>

</p>

...pffft!</p>

</p>

EDIT: Wednesday, I'm gonna wear my Toews 2010 Stanley Cup Home Jersey like I did for game 5 of the Wings series.  Watch, it'll make a difference.</p>

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Canadian Dreamalchuk" data-cid="201457" data-time="1371536479">
<div>

for those of you closer to the club and if any of you ever get sneak peaks into practice. What do they do durring it? Do they run PP drills at all with effort or just half ass them in practice too? Do they bother working on face off drills? I know these guys are pros and "practice" is just that "practice" but even pros need some seasoning on some basic shit. Simply disgusting the pp and the face offs. Again the 2 main concerns going into the playoffs and neither have been corrected in any ways. </p>

</p>

Fuck Toews Im done with that guy for the rest of the playoffs. <u>Don't expect one single goal from him this series at this point. </u>After Lucic hammered him and nearly destroyed him I don't expect him to be that productive on the back end of the game now either...which he was horrible at tonight by the way.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

Alas, I believe this is the probably the best tack to take. Sighs. It's looking like "it it what it is" for this year's Playoffs. I'd LOVE to be thoroughly gobsmacked proven wrong though, :icon-lol:</p>

</p>

</p>

Can't say re the PP practicing since normal non-"Special PR Event" practices are closed to the public and the local Hawks beat media are so far wedged up the Organization's ass they are about as useful as anal fissures. All they're good for is Tweeting lines and the occasional still Instagram pic---there's never any actual reporting about the practices as all they really care about is the post-practice interviews to be able to post inane stories for deadlines. Meh, if I am recalling correctly, they didn't seem all too riveted in going over PP stuff in that episode of "NHL 360" from last month though admittedly that segment only lasted for a brief moment. You can find that on YouTube if you want. We. Just. Don't. Know. WTF. Happens.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Mikita's Helmet" data-cid="201459" data-time="1371536881">
<div>

They need Bickell in front of the net on the PP. Shots from the points low for rebounds, shots from bad angles for rebounds, we need to get a dirty, greasy PP goal, quick.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

He had some pp minutes and couldn't get to the net. Bruins are playing huge infront of Rask. I don't think Bickell is the answer. I know this is cliche...but actually shots might help. Fans yelling "shoot" from the stands and infront of their tv might actually be right for once. These guys wont shoot the damn puck. You can put 8 buffs infront of Rask but if you aren't shooting the puck its useless.</p>

</p>

Kane also takes way to fucking long to move the puck on it. Never liked him on the PP I know that's a dirty word around here. Not sure how anyone sees him as a powerplay guy. His passing on the pp has been total shit as has his eye and he stands still as bad as any other member of the pp lines. Our point men also really fucking suck at pretty much all fundamentals. Its crazzzzzzy how bad they are. But it also starts with winning a god damn face off in the attacking zone which they simply can not do on the pp. Not on home ice and not on visiting ice. Its the worst of the worst. Im really upset about it. I know its 2-1 and this series was going to be tight but fuck me it wont be for much longer if that shits not corrected..skipping record as I have no faith that it will correct.</p>

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Canadian Dreamalchuk" data-cid="201462" data-time="1371537242">
<div>

</p>

Kane also takes way to fucking long to move the puck on it. Never liked him on the PP I know that's a dirty word around here. Not sure how anyone sees him as a powerplay guy. His passing on the pp has been total shit as has his eye and he stands still as bad as any other member of the pp lines. Our point men also really fucking suck at pretty much all fundamentals. Its crazzzzzzy how bad they are. But it also starts with winning a god damn face off in the attacking zone which they simply can not do on the pp. Not on home ice and not on visiting ice. Its the worst of the worst. Im really upset about it. I know its 2-1 and this series was going to be tight but fuck me it wont be for much longer if that shits not corrected..skipping record as I have no faith that it will correct.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Yes shots on goals, lead to rebounds, which means even more shots on goal.  Yes faceoffs, Boston is winning the first draw on every Hawks PP which uses up the first 20 to 25 seconds.</p>

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="roshinaya" data-cid="201458" data-time="1371536780">
<div>

They need to send the whole team to face-off school, that's for sure.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

I think they "technically" practice them but IMO, probably not a lot. It's a learned skill and you have to be willing to commit to endless drills and practices to get proficient at it and esp. to get better at it. And they don't seem to force anyone on the big club to get special instruction in or off season. That would  be nice wouldn't it? Making improving your faceoffs a mandatory part of your development and conditioning plan that Paul Goodman (on the fitness/conditioning/excerises side) and the Coaches (on the things they want to see them improve on side) give them? LOL  I do know that Barry Smith has worked one-on-one with some of the Rockford kids on it . For example during the lockout he was the one who personally went over tapes in general and worked on the ice with JHayes when they decided to out of the blue convert him from winger to C. </p>

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ton DeFrancesco" data-cid="201456" data-time="1371535336">
<div>

They don't even try it anymore... they set up an overload, which is very frustrating when they can't get a cycle going... good PK's can put pressure and disrupt the flow which causes a lot of scrambling. At times they do a 1-3-1 — ineffective IMO when they try because they stand still and don't move the puck fast enough, if they do, the shot doesn't come off quick enough and the lane closes.  They never play a spread (backdoor play) anymore, even though it was their most effective strategy in 2010. As far as I can see, they haven't tried the umbrella in many many years, either.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

Well, we did have The Ginger back then too. :)</p>

</p>

(I don't care what anyone says or how impractical it is I still just miss The Ginger.)</p>

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
The Hawks don't practice the PP. I'm pretty sure Q admitted to as much after game 2, actually.</p>

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Mikita's Helmet" data-cid="201460" data-time="1371537148">
<div>

</p>

EDIT: Wednesday, I'm gonna wear my Toews 2010 Stanley Cup Home Jersey like I did for game 5 of the Wings series.  Watch, it'll make a difference.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

Say whaaa??? Why didn't you bust out the good juju or black magic or obea or whatever BEFORE Gm. 4 you selfish bastard! If you have the secret Hawks key to success then fucking brandish it mo-fo! </p>

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Also, here's the thing with the PP. You don't have to score all the fucking time on the PP. But what you have to do is BE A THREAT on the PP. Right now, the Bruins will take a penalty EVERY SINGLE TIME there is a prime scoring chance for the Hawks. They do not fear the Hawks' PP at all. In fact, the Bruins are the ones gaining momentum off of the Hawks' PP.... You don't have to score, but at least keep the other team honest. It's like teams in the NBA fouling Shaq. They know he's missing at least one of them, so it's always a win. Same thing with the Hawks.</p>

</p>

Hack a Shaq from the NBA has turned into Hack a Hawk in the NHL. ZERO respect for the Hawks' PP from pretty much the entire NHL.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
hit the nail on the head pez. the pp isn't threatening at all. thats probably the most frustrating part of it all</p>

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Also, if Toews isn't injured pretty badly, he better be in the fucking gym the moment the season ends. He's a shell of his normal self. First time in his career I've been genuinely upset with his play. Total fucking disappointment.</p>

supraman

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="bookjones" data-cid="201465" data-time="1371538009">
<div>

Well, we did have The Ginger back then too. :icon-smile:</p>

</p>

(I don't care what anyone says or how impractical it is I still just miss The Ginger.)</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I miss Soupy too</p>

cplmac

Liked Posts:
Jesus that was hard to watch.  So many areas the Hawks did not perform in tonight, more shots on PK than PP.  Almost no hitting from the Hawks, stupid penalties, entire shifts that were flat, terrible passing.   To make matters worse Boston played their game every step of the way almost perfectly.  Crawford had another very good game, unfortunately Rask had another perfect game.  Hossa being out of the line up was a HUGE loss, that being said Smith was one of the better players on the ice tonight but he can't fill the hole Hossa leaves behind.  I thought Boston would come into this game strong, I didn't think our boys would totally shit the bed.  I think we will come back strong on Thursday, hopefully we remember how to win a faceoff by then.</p>

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Pez68" data-cid="201470" data-time="1371542997">
<div>

Also, if Toews isn't injured pretty badly, he better be in the fucking gym the moment the season ends. He's a shell of his normal self. First time in his career I've been genuinely upset with his play. Total fucking disappointment.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

On the radio this morning, they said he was icing his hand on the bench in the third.</p>

supraman

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Tater" data-cid="201475" data-time="1371561115">
<div>

On the radio this morning, they said he was icing his hand on the bench in the third.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

"A bruise on the hand is a helluva a long way from the heart" - Bastardized Herb Brooks</p>