Soler Power: Cubs Minor League Thread v2

Which team/player excites you the most?

• Total voters

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be surprised if Rizzo was called up. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs went :nelson: and didn't call him up until after the ASG.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Zeller threw a couple scoreless innings last night apparently. I am going to load up the game and watch it here in a second. Here is the Boise Hawks radio announcers blog about the game last night:
6/24 Notes and News

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Converted OF Matt Spencer was moved up to Peoria apparently. There probably is going to be a lot of shuffling here as the wave of promotions and 2012 draftees filter in and out of the system.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
About to get to the part of the game where Zeller gets into it in Boise. A few things that I've seen so far in the game is that Shawon Dunston, Jr. has a cannon. He sailed a throw back into the diamond all the way into the infield on the fly from deep center. Marco Hernandez made a nice defensive play with a lot of range and a strong throw. The throw was high but Rock Shoulders, best name in the Cubs system, was able to catch it and land on the bag.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
About to get to the part of the game where Zeller gets into it in Boise. A few things that I've seen so far in the game is that Shawon Dunston, Jr. has a cannon. He sailed a throw back into the diamond all the way into the infield on the fly from deep center. Marco Hernandez made a nice defensive play with a lot of range and a strong throw. The throw was high but Rock Shoulders, best name in the Cubs system, was able to catch it and land on the bag.

Just like his daddy

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Almora should (has to if he wants to play pro ball) sign in the next 19 days, which is exciting

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Almora should (has to if he wants to play pro ball) sign in the next 19 days, which is exciting

According to who?

Sent via Tapatalk on Droid RAZR MAXX

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to who?

Sent via Tapatalk on Droid RAZR MAXX

It's mostly conjecture but he'd be doing himself a disservice if he didn't sign for whatever the Cubs care to give him. That's in the draft thread where we discussed why it's in his best interest to take the money and run.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lot of offense in Boise tonight. Haven't watched it yet, but the Hawks won 14-11. Candelairo, Amaya, Hernandez and Dunston all had multiple hits and a homerun.

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
Maples posted on Twitter last week that he will be start pitching in games sometime next month.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is sad to think that the pitcher with the most upside in the system is a month away from pitching competitively.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jackson and Rizzo strike out in the bottom of the first. No need for torch wielding mob yet.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vitters with his 13th error on the season, might be part of the reason he is still in Des Moines, but starts an inning end double play to make up for it in the top of the 2nd.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Vitters with his 13th error on the season, might be part of the reason he is still in Des Moines, but starts an inning end double play to make up for it in the top of the 2nd.

Has an RBI too.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
It's mostly conjecture but he'd be doing himself a disservice if he didn't sign for whatever the Cubs care to give him. That's in the draft thread where we discussed why it's in his best interest to take the money and run.

Ehhh... maybe, maybe not. It stands to reason that with the whining about the CBA spending limits, that in 2-3 years those limits will be raised a bit. With that in mind, if Almora goes to Miami and excels there as much as he's expected to in the minors... then he can become a top 2 pick rather than the #6 pick. He waits 3 years, enjoys the college life, works his way to a backup degree, and doubles (possibly triples) his bonus money. It won't really hinder his development, as he'll progress while at Miami. So, he hits the majors at 22-23 rather than 21-22. Woo hoo, he misses out on MLB league minimum for a year... a small sacrifice compared to the much higher bonus.

The risk, of course, is that he goes to Miami and gets injured badly enough that he drops to a middling prospect. Or, he heads to Miami... and stinks. The latter is unlikely, as he's already been competing against collegiate level players while playing for Team USA, but it could happen.

If I were Almora, I'd take the cash this year not wanting to face the risk listed above... but I'd make the team grant me at least $3.5M. I'd also bust my tail to reach the majors within the next 2-3 years, understanding that Soriano and DeJesus will be gone from the big league team... and my only real competition is Matt Szczur, Jorge Soler, and Brett Jackson. I'm already projected to be better than any of those guys... and I'm touted to have one of the best work ethics amongst all of the draftees this year. Once signed, and I'd wait until the last moment just to see how much cash the team has left in their pool, I'd request being assigned to Boise right away to try to highlight my already "polished skills and talents due to the higher level of competition faced"... though I'd most likely go to Arizona.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has an RBI too.

He actually has two RBIs. He absolutely crushed a homerun before Rizzo's last at bat, where Rizzo hit a ball to the warning track wind denying him the storybook end to his AAA career (hopefully).

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
It is sad to think that the pitcher with the most upside in the system is a month away from pitching competitively.

Yeah. He was experiencing shoulder problems earlier right? They seem to be extremely cautious dealing with him. I am as anxious as everyone else to see him, but I understand them being careful with him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah. He was experiencing shoulder problems earlier right? They seem to be extremely cautious dealing with him. I am as anxious as everyone else to see him, but I understand them being careful with him.

Yeah he had some arm troubles I want to say and there was talk that the Cubs were completely retooling his delivery as well(I believe that was talked about when he was drafted that any team needed to do that).

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jackson with another home run and Vitters added one too.