Soler Power: Cubs Minor League Thread v2

Which team/player excites you the most?

• Total voters

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
Hopefully Maples works out. It would help immensely if he reaches his potential.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lost in the Rizzo hoopla is the fact that Brooks Raley is pitching a real nice game in Iowa today. He has gone 7 innings and given up 1 run. Probably done since his pitch count is nearing or over a 100 by now.

His ERA is high in AAA at 4.76, but he has the highest strikeout and strikeout-walk ratio in his pro career. The 24 year old lefties ceiling is probably a backend of the rotation starter, but he is doing some nice things in Iowa.

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
Small sample size, but Jay Jackson has done well out of the pen. He's done as a starter IMO, but maybe he could be of some use in the pen.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Small sample size, but Jay Jackson has done well out of the pen. He's done as a starter IMO, but maybe he could be of some use in the pen.
Yeah he has crazy splits as a reliever and a starter this year. Jackson, like Coleman, is able to throw a bit harder as a reliever, and so that fringy stuff for a starter looks a lot better in the pen. There are a lot of intriguing arms for the bullpen in the Cubs system that could be ready for next year. We have pitchers for the backend of the rotation and fill out a bullpen. Unfortunately guys for the top of the rotation are either just drafted (Pierce Johnson maybe others) or have yet to pitch as a pro (Maples)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Speaking of Jay Jackson the reliever he just struck out the side in a scoreless inning of work.

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
Yeah he has crazy splits as a reliever and a starter this year. Jackson, like Coleman, is able to throw a bit harder as a reliever, and so that fringy stuff for a starter looks a lot better in the pen. There are a lot of intriguing arms for the bullpen in the Cubs system that could be ready for next year. We have pitchers for the backend of the rotation and fill out a bullpen. Unfortunately guys for the top of the rotation are either just drafted (Pierce Johnson maybe others) or have yet to pitch as a pro (Maples)

Yeah I agree on the bullpen arms. Cabrera and Beliveau especially. Bosio seems to have helped out Cabrera's command issues with his grip change.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Lost in the Rizzo hoopla is the fact that Brooks Raley is pitching a real nice game in Iowa today. He has gone 7 innings and given up 1 run. Probably done since his pitch count is nearing or over a 100 by now.

His ERA is high in AAA at 4.76, but he has the highest strikeout and strikeout-walk ratio in his pro career. The 24 year old lefties ceiling is probably a backend of the rotation starter, but he is doing some nice things in Iowa.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yICai9wwRl4]Spongebob HOOPLA! - YouTube[/ame]

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I agree on the bullpen arms. Cabrera and Beliveau especially. Bosio seems to have helped out Cabrera's command issues with his grip change.

I don't think the new regime is sold on Beliveau. Otherwise I think he would have gotten a look by now. Could be reading too much into things, but it just seems odd with how desperate they were for a lefty that he hasn't gotten a look.

Cabrera migth be the sleeper arm in the system. His stuff and new command could actually be a legitimate high leverage arm in the bullpen. Tony Zych is probably a year away still unfortunately, but if you had to tab someone as the closer of the future that would be my pick. That is such a hard thing to call though.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Jay Jackson seems to have a lot of trouble the 2nd time through the lineup. I've been hoping they'd make him a RP for a couple of years now. I also think that Volstad would benefit with a trip to the pen... as he doesn't seem to give up that big inning until he's faced the lineup once.

In all actuality, I think the pen will be strong in the near future... and for years to come. Where I see difficulties is the rotation. Struck, McNutt, and Rusin are the only guys we have that might be within a year or two of making the squad. Rusin is the closest, and he's had a very up and down season. Struck has also been up and down. McNutt is having issues just compiling innings due to health reasons.

Kirk and Jokisch are looking quite good... but both are still 2-3 years away. Then you have all of the high-ceiling/high-risk guys in the lowest levels.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jay Jackson seems to have a lot of trouble the 2nd time through the lineup. I've been hoping they'd make him a RP for a couple of years now. I also think that Volstad would benefit with a trip to the pen... as he doesn't seem to give up that big inning until he's faced the lineup once.

In all actuality, I think the pen will be strong in the near future... and for years to come. Where I see difficulties is the rotation. Struck, McNutt, and Rusin are the only guys we have that might be within a year or two of making the squad. Rusin is the closest, and he's had a very up and down season. Struck has also been up and down. McNutt is having issues just compiling innings due to health reasons.

Kirk and Jokisch are looking quite good... but both are still 2-3 years away. Then you have all of the high-ceiling/high-risk guys in the lowest levels.
And McNutt is the only one that you mentioned that has a real shot at being anything more than a 4th starter...

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
I agree on the pen having the potential to be really strong in the future.

I just about have given up on McNutt as a starter though. Really frustrating to see him experience obstacle after obstacle (blisters, command, etc).

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
And McNutt is the only one that you mentioned that has a real shot at being anything more than a 4th starter...

Ehh... I think Struck might have 3-4 upside. Kirk... he could turn out to be something around a #2 guy. The others... yeah... #4-5 looks to be their ceiling, if they make it at all.

I pin my pitching hopes on McNutt, Kirk, Maples, Concepcion, Arias, Johnson, Blackburn, and Underwood. I think all of those guys have #1-2 ceilings... but most have a looooong way to go.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ehh... I think Struck might have 3-4 upside. Kirk... he could turn out to be something around a #2 guy. The others... yeah... #4-5 looks to be their ceiling, if they make it at all.

I pin my pitching hopes on McNutt, Kirk, Maples, Concepcion, Arias, Johnson, Blackburn, and Underwood. I think all of those guys have #1-2 ceilings... but most have a looooong way to go.

The scouts don't seem to love Captain Kirk. Struck is intriguing given his performance and age, but again he seems like a back end of the rotation guy with his stuff. They could surprise, but McNutt is the only one I have ever seen projections of a 2 starter.

Maples, Johnson have been listed at that ceiling as well, but neither have thrown a pro pitch yet so I will reserve judgement till then.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez left the Chiefs game with an apparent finger injury trying to make a barehanded play at SS.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chiefs feed said to not expect news until tomorrow at the earliest. Obviously were looking at his hand/finger.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
miCubs‏@miCubs

Raley, Vitters lead Iowa to 2-1 victory over Round Rock: Vitters homers for 3rd time in 6 games, Raley great again

Vitters really wants to come up :)