The Javier Baez Discussion Thread

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So what do you think is easier to sell a rich auto enthusiast on. A rusty 87 Camaro that is getting parted out or a brand new Dodge Challenger Hellcat?
Bad ex. The camaro. As an auto enthusiast rebuilding a classic car is an easy sell. (Yes im using classic loosely)

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You started it :)
No. You fail to acknowledge that the Cubs have not been a team a high priced star would want to sign with. Perhaps you're just back to being disingenuous.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No. You fail to acknowledge that the Cubs have not been a team a high priced star would want to sign with. Perhaps you're just back to being disingenuous.
Yes you did

Anyway...a good salesman gets it done. Thats the point being brought up

As a Cub he's failed to date. No other way to cut it. Deny all you want

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Yes you did

I dont think they actually really tried yet to bring any high priced players in because of where ricketts set payroll at..

Sure they may have made a few token offers , but my guess is it was just a here what were able to offer so take it or leave it...

These next couple off seasons, there shouldn't be any reason why they make legit offers to big FAs like lester with a very manageable payroll with a roster filled with kids

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes you did

Do you buy cars that you know are shit just because you like the salesman?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you buy cars that you know are shit just because you like the salesman?

I can speak to this because I buy and sell cars as my primary business. The cars do not sell themselves. roughly 73% of the sale is based on the salesman selling himself and not the car. Before I went on my own independant I was the GM of 2 dealerships after 5 years in finance so what you are saying is 100% wrong. People buy shit cars all the time due to the salesman. This is fact.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
No top tier FA wanted to stick around with the garbage that was the 2011-2013 Cubs. And looking at the FA's they didn't get (Pujols, Wilson, Fielder, Choo, etc) They are a significantly better team for it. Only top tier guy that was available the last 3 years worth anything long term IMO was Cano, and at 10 years, no NL team can compete with that

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Bad ex. The camaro. As an auto enthusiast rebuilding a classic car is an easy sell. (Yes im using classic loosely)
Great example. One is the 2011 Cubs. The other is the 2014 version.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I can speak to this because I buy and sell cars as my primary business. The cars do not sell themselves. roughly 73% of the sale is based on the salesman selling himself and not the car. Before I went on my own independant I was the GM of 2 dealerships after 5 years in finance so what you are saying is 100% wrong. People buy shit cars all the time due to the salesman. This is fact.
Of course its 100% wrong. Dodge wouldn't exist otherwise.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And BTW I grew up in the business. The salesman isn't important to me as long as the dealer is reputable and the service department operates as I expect it to. I pick the vehicle. If you don't like what am willing to pay for it, I walk.

Last edited:

sulleymon

Liked Posts:
I honestly don't think the cubs will be that much better than .500 next season. I could see them being in the hunt for much longer than this season but my honest opinion is unless they get off to a very good start they will struggle through some periods where young team being young and slumps. I suggested them as a 70-75 win team this year. I believe next year you're talking something like 75-80 wins.

The comment I've mad for awhile now is the comparison to the Royals. 2010 was the year that they had "the greatest farm system ever." In 2011 they won 71 games, 2012 was 72, last year was 86 and this year they are pace for 90. If we assume 2013 was similar to the 67 wins KC had in 2010 and this year is similar to 2011, then you're looking at 75ish wins next year and a bigger step forward the yer after.

except the Cubs are likely to win 75 games this year with Lake and Schierholz getting a significant amount of plate appearances in the OFand Barney and Olt getting a significant amount in the IF. Replace the first two with Alcantara and Soler and the last two with Baez and Bryant. It will not be long.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And BTW I grew up in the business. The salesman isn't important to me as long as the dealer is reputable and the service department operates as I expect it to. I pick the vehicle. If you don't like what am willing to pay for it, I walk.
So you're the 27%

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Good salesman can sell when the product is bad or not needed. You keep ignoring this
So all those buggywhip salesmen went out of business because they were just not good salesmen. Got it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont believe a good salesman can sell anything. I believe they can sell a bad product, but it also depends on your client. Selling to an uneducated hick from french lick would probably be easier to sell to then man that deals with multi million dollar deals everyday. Theo negotiates with Sharks. I dont think this an apples to apples discussion.