The official around the MLB thread!

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
That's true. Beane marches to the beat of his own drummer. Still he got two pretty good players that have been rising up prospect lists this year. Samardzija is probably worth a couple higher level prospects (AA maybe?) with lower ceilings and likely not pitchers and/or catchers.

Jeff is worth more than that by just the comp pick.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Eh, the catching prospect isn't bad. The other guy is 22 in high A and getting hit pretty hard. They are both projects. The catching prospect has shown a good bat but read is not very good behind the plate. Has a strong arm but needs a ton of work to stay at catcher.

I know that they really liked Nottingham, the catcher, a lot in Houston and were reluctant to let him go plus like we're seeing with the Cubs catchers that can hit are at a premium. My understanding is that he was considered kind of a "Schwarber-lite" if you will.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Cardinals get Steve Cishek from the Marlins. Well, he is going to have a 0.42 ERA the rest of the year cause it is the Cardinals.

Can we get a Cubs vs Phillies in game thread going?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can we get a Cubs vs Phillies in game thread going?

You can always start a game thread and I will sticky it whenever I am around. It doesn't have to be me. Can be anyone but ill start one now.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Cueto to KC after all in a reworked deal after a deal fell through yesterday when a Royals player involved failed the physical.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Dave Dombrowski fired in Detroit. You have to wonder if the Red Sox would fire Ben Cherington and hire Dombrowski.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dave Dombrowski fired in Detroit. You have to wonder if the Red Sox would fire Ben Cherington and hire Dombrowski.

Wow...he built a pretty consistent winner up there for the last 5 years.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow...he built a pretty consistent winner up there for the last 5 years.

Couldn't get over the hump. In the end, you have to get over the hump or its a cruel world out there.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Couldn't get over the hump. In the end, you have to get over the hump or its a cruel world out there.

I guess....didn't they win their division like 4 or 5 times in a row? If the Cubs did that, we'd be throwing a parade for him.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess....didn't they win their division like 4 or 5 times in a row? If the Cubs did that, we'd be throwing a parade for him.

Yea, but that gets old to people. Henry was turned on very fast after the 2008 season. Fans only remember what you did for me lately mentality and the owner spent a lot of money to try to get that championship. Its sports. The Tigers have a big payroll and need to get younger.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Yea, but that gets old to people. Henry was turned on very fast after the 2008 season. Fans only remember what you did for me lately mentality and the owner spent a lot of money to try to get that championship. Its sports. The Tigers have a big payroll and need to get younger.

That's all true but he'll have a job in the proverbial five minutes. Likely Boston, Toronto or Anaheim.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
That's all true but he'll have a job in the proverbial five minutes. Likely Boston, Toronto or Anaheim.

I predict Boston.

Cherington (even though he won a WS) was basically playing with Theo's teams, minus some free agents to the Dodgers.

Out of the 4 years, he has three last place finishes and a WS.

He has to be on a short leash.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like he wanted a raise and left to seek another opportunity. He was making 3 mil per as the GM. Red Sox are the most likely landing spot with him becoming the baseball ops overseer. Keeping Ben as GM still. That would benefit the future of the team. Lucchino is heading out after the season it opens an opportunity.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Sounds like he wanted a raise and left to seek another opportunity. He was making 3 mil per as the GM. Red Sox are the most likely landing spot with him becoming the baseball ops overseer. Keeping Ben as GM still. That would benefit the future of the team. Lucchino is heading out after the season it opens an opportunity.

Word is that Illitch was pissed at last week's trades and wasn't aware they were throwing in the towel. The funny thing is I thought they did well. Norris should be a TOR starter in 2 years. I think Boston is likely too for Dombrowski but don't sleep on Anaheim as Stoneman is his mentor and would probably lobby hard for him.

willycat

Liked Posts:
Word is that Illitch was pissed at last week's trades and wasn't aware they were throwing in the towel. The funny thing is I thought they did well. Norris should be a TOR starter in 2 years. I think Boston is likely too for Dombrowski but don't sleep on Anaheim as Stoneman is his mentor and would probably lobby hard for him.
The sox sure need a real GM. He would have certainly dumped some of their dead wood but Jerry's love affair with Williams will not let that happen, which is fine with me. The sox can't sink much lower, they are already the lowest watched team on TV, so maybe when they fall to the lowest team in attendance,(they're close) Jerry will be forced to act. Maybe sell or threaten to move again.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Couple of things,

Welington Castillo is absolutey crushing for the DBack. He is probably going to a top 5 hitting catcher this season. Cubs sold way to low on him for Ross.

Yasiel Puig is not very good this season. I have caught a good bit of his plate appearances lately. Looks like he give no fucks up there and just whiffs at everything. He looks as bad as Castro has looked.

Solar may be the better player in the long run.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Couple of things,

Welington Castillo is absolutey crushing for the DBack. He is probably going to a top 5 hitting catcher this season. Cubs sold way to low on him for Ross.

Yasiel Puig is not very good this season. I have caught a good bit of his plate appearances lately. Looks like he give no fucks up there and just whiffs at everything. He looks as bad as Castro has looked.

Solar may be the better player in the long run.

I am not sure people were beating down the door for Castillo in the off-season, or else he would not have been on the team at all this year.

As far as crushing the ball? Good for him. Hope he makes it.

Who knows? If Contreras still keeps doing what he is doing in AA for the Smokies, we may have another player like Castillo for a while.

The Dodgers will have a lot of trouble getting rid of Puig if they choose to. Of course, the Cubs may be in the same boat with Castro.

As far as Soler, he needs to really become that fourth guy around Rizzo, Bryant, and Schwarber for the Cubs. Then if Baez, Russell or both add to it, it just makes it that much better.