The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His Spots

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Do the Pats not run the ball? I think any OC can find a way to work in a 1000 yard rusher.

Lol, no they don’t run the ball at all... /s

The Pats generally cycle through no name RBs. They definitely aren’t a power running offense, which is what Howard is. Furthermore, the Pats use the RB to catch a lot of short passes, which is what Howard is terrible at.

Mitchapalooza

Anyone know if there's rumors of who McDaniels is connected to for his OC/DC staff?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

The Pats generally cycle through no name RBs. They definitely aren’t a power running offense, which is what Howard is. Furthermore, the Pats use the RB to catch a lot of short passes, which is what Howard is terrible at.

there 3 RB have racked up 1543 yards and 16TD this year. So i think the running game will be fine. But Howard does need to work on his pass catching regardless who the new HC is

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Orton was a slow QB with a weak arm and pretty inaccurate passer. And McDanials turned him into a mid level QB.. What do you think he could do with a QB that has all of the natural talents of Trubisky?

this is a QB driven league. If you want to be competitive year after year and go deep in the playoffs and actually win multiple Superbowls then you are going to need a great QB. So for me the most important aspect is developing Trubisky.

Yes we have a great "culture" now.. so what that has done nothing to rack up the wins..

In 3 years (the time they will probably give McDanials before firing him if he fails) would you rather have..

A mid level QB and great Culture but maybe backdoor a wildcard spot. (lower risk lower reward HC hire)
OR
A top 5 QB but the "culture" is ruined and no playoffs and you are looking for a New HC? (McDanials hired and worst case)

For me its simple.. give me that top 5 QB and now you have something to build on going forward.

Give Josh M Tim Tebow.......

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Does the running back have to be a no name....can't he be good and get the ball. Also Cohen.

The Patriots run where the matchup on the dline is best. During the Superbowl most runs were up the middle on the Falcons defense.

Also, the Pats had 16 rushing TDs between the top three backs this year. All the NE running backs were in the top 20 of rushing TDs in the league....

So somehow they find a way to run the ball.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
there 3 RB have racked up 1543 yards and 16TD this year. So i think the running game will be fine. But Howard does need to work on his pass catching regardless who the new HC is

this....

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
But he does.

What I said had nothing to do with the Lions, rather Josh Mcdaniels and his ability to develop a young QB, all while assuming HC duties. I am sure he deserves some of the credit for developing Garapolo, but let us not forget JG also had the benefit of learning from Brady himself. McDaniels handling of Qb's was questionable at best when he was a HC in Denver. Head coach's don't develop QB's, and the bears aren't interviewing McDaniels to be the OC or QB coach. That will be the job of his staff (should he get the job). My question is, how well liked is McDaniels, and what quality of assistants could he attract to work under him?

Oh, and another thing that has not been mentioned, Josh M was a big part of the video tape scandal that happened to New England.

Didn’t he also do something similar in London with the Broncos?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:

Catching the ball is a fundamental part of the RB job description in most offences these days. Got to get better at it.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Give Josh M Tim Tebow.......

well as pace had said before the new HC will not be in charge of the roster. That is paces job. So one of McDanials biggest failures and weakness is a non issue. Pace will stack the roster and McD will coach..

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

Exactly, they don’t use a feature back, which is what Howard is. Also, those numbers don’t really compare because CHi and NE are about as far apart as you can get in offensive productively. My point isnt that I’d be worried that they are going to cut Howard, but would they pony up big bucks for a new contract for a system where they use a stable of cheap RBs?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Does the running back have to be a no name....can't he be good and get the ball. Also Cohen.

The Patriots run where the matchup on the dline is best. During the Superbowl most runs were up the middle on the Falcons defense.

Also, the Pats had 16 rushing TDs between the top three backs this year. All the NE running backs were in the top 20 of rushing TDs in the league....

So somehow they find a way to run the ball.
I never said anything about Cohen fitting into the offense, that’s not an issue.

And no name RBs don’t get paid big contracts, which is what I’m getting at. Would Howard be re-signed to a big new deal here if McD’s offense doesn’t utilize him?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Exactly, they don’t use a feature back, which is what Howard is. Also, those numbers don’t really compare because CHi and NE are about as far apart as you can get in offensive productively. My point isnt that I’d be worried that they are going to cut Howard, but would they pony up big bucks for a new contract for a system where they use a stable of cheap RBs?

Pace is in charge of the roster not McD

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Pace is in charge of the roster not McD

Yeah, and Emery was in charge of the roster when Martz was the OC. What’s your point?

Do you really think Howard is an ideal fit for the NE offense?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never said anything about Cohen fitting into the offense, that’s not an issue.

And no name RBs don’t get paid big contracts, which is what I’m getting at. Would Howard be re-signed to a big new deal here if McD’s offense doesn’t utilize him?

If McD does not utilize Howard and he is losing, he'll be gone. If he does not utilize him and the Bears start winning, who cares.

But I have a feeling Howard will be getting the rock often enough.

Are we pining for the run run pass days already?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
If McD does not utilize Howard and he is losing, he'll be gone. If he does not utilize him and the Bears start winning, who cares.

You forgot the punt part: run run pass punt.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Yeah, and Emery was in charge of the roster when Martz was the OC. What’s your point?

Do you really think Howard is an ideal fit for the NE offense?

emery was an idiot who got fired. We can all just hope that Pace is much smarter. And if Howard works on his pass catching. like he really needs to do then it will be a non issue.

Or Pace drafts another RB and if the new RB and Cohen are producing in the run game and the pass game then its a non issue. Trade Howard at that point..

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Orton was a slow QB with a weak arm and pretty inaccurate passer. And McDanials turned him into a mid level QB.. What do you think he could do with a QB that has all of the natural talents of Trubisky?

this is a QB driven league. If you want to be competitive year after year and go deep in the playoffs and actually win multiple Superbowls then you are going to need a great QB. So for me the most important aspect is developing Trubisky.

Yes we have a great "culture" now.. so what that has done nothing to rack up the wins..

In 3 years (the time they will probably give McDanials before firing him if he fails) would you rather have..

A mid level QB and great Culture but maybe backdoor a wildcard spot. (lower risk lower reward HC hire)
OR
A top 5 QB but the "culture" is ruined and no playoffs and you are looking for a New HC? (McDanials hired and worst case)

For me its simple.. give me that top 5 QB and now you have something to build on going forward.

While I tend to agree with you, a good OL and catchers had a lot to do with it as well. The O was also clearly a better system than the Bear were running and we can acknowledge MD for it but it was not special compared to other good OCs. Cutler's efficiency dropped more than Orton's increased in the change of venues which would indicate that MDs O was not special compared to his predecessor and jay's situation deteriorated significantly.

Mitchapalooza

I didn't realize McDaniels was caught cheating (videotaping) his opponent in London while with the Broncos.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I doubt Howard will ever command star money.