The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His Spots

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I totally get that opinion. He is an insane risk, but he isn’t boring. I doubt they hire McDaniels, Nagy or flip are like draft picks or 2nd year college qbs, while McDaniels is like rg3.

Shurmur is like trading for Alex Smith.

I think if Shurmur can get a really good DC on board, they would be an extremely competitive team. One thing that I noticed from Shurmur offenses (apart from the last two years of the fast paced Chip Kelly offense he was apart of) is that his offenses generally don't turn the football over.

Other than his stint in his last two years Philly, the only other time his offense was in the bottom third in turnovers was his first year in St Louis which he rectified in his second year where they then ranked in the top 10. Shurmur offenses have ranked in the top 10 in giveaways 5 times and that was for the most part with QB's like Nick Foles, Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy and Case Keenum.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I’m assuming question one in the interview is about Trubisky. Can’t imagine anyone gets hired who isn’t all in on him.

I'm amazed it wasn't like that in Denver. Cutler just completed his 3rd year, 2nd year starting and was pro bowl and they were improving.

If he comes to Chicago it absolutely must be on the caveat that he is not the GM. Also, I don't think there is any chance he would be taking an interview or he would take this job if he didn't think very highly of Trubisky.

Sounds like he wasn't GM in Denver or even given GM powers, he was just pushy and demanding with everyone above and below him. The Cutler thing seemed more that he wanted Cassel than didn't want Cutler.

I don't have a good read on Pace's personality to know how that would go, but I'm sure HC gets input on players as they should.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aren't all of the coaching candidates having success under a really strong head coach?

My first choice is Toub because of leadership -

But I like Shurmur more and more than the other guys because of his experience - Just not sure of his leadership

McDaniels can just fuck off - That dude hasn't changed

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Easy decision. Give me Flip.

McDaniels wasn't just a failure in Denver, he was destructive, disrespectful and a poor leader.

People forget his OC stint with the Rams. "The Rams' offense was among the worst in the league in 2011. They scored only 193 points (12.1 points per game), last in the league, and 11th-fewest all-time for a 16-game season. Their −214 point differential was last in the league."

He took Shurmurs job on a 7-9 team and helped it become a 2-14 team. Bradford may have lost a few games but it's not enough to explain that away for someone that's supposed to be special.

Isn't it enough that he gave us Cutler?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
People forget his OC stint with the Rams. "The Rams' offense was among the worst in the league in 2011. They scored only 193 points (12.1 points per game), last in the league, and 11th-fewest all-time for a 16-game season. Their −214 point differential was last in the league."

He took Shurmurs job on a 7-9 team and helped it become a 2-14 team. Bradford may have lost a few games but it's not enough to explain that away for someone that's supposed to be special.

Isn't it enough that he gave us Cutler?
Bradford played on a high ankle sprain that year..

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will have to trust Pace's HC decision assuming it is only his decision.

I lol at the CCS posters who says he needs to hire this guy or he can't hire that guy. Didn't know you guys have sat down and interviewed all these candidates and have dug deep into their resumes and references like Pace will be.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I would love to be a fly on the wall if the Cutler topic comes up in McD's interview.

billwade

Liked Posts:
Bad head coach with the Browns.

BB was a bad head coach with the Browns.

Everybody is a bad head coach with the Browns.

Josh McDaniels puts up great years with the GOAT at QB.

Shurmur puts up a top 10 offensive season with Case Keenum, Jerick Mckinnon, Latavius Murray, Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs.

Players liked playing under Shurmur, nobody liked playing for McDaniels.

Shurmur has produced more with less on offense and is also not a trainwreck of a personality. Pretty easy if you ask me the decision between those two.

If you want the young hot shot over Shurmur I can understand that.

I agree with you. I'm leaning toward Shurmur because he's had success with guys like Case Keenum and Colt McCoy, which seems almost impossible to comprehend. Also, he worked for Cleveland, which means he understands how a dysfunctional FO works. That could be a big advantage for him with the Bears.

I have to admit a small part of me would like to see McDaniels in Chicago. I'm in the camp of the people who believe he's learned a great deal from the Denver debacle, and I value that experience. No organization is going to give him control over the roster after the shit he pulled in Denver when he treated the roster like a Madden video game, so that isn't going to be an issue. And I guarantee he's going to be on his best behavior. Still, I understand some people are just naturally assholes, and no one likes them. He could be one of those guys, but it seems like he's done well with Brady, coaches and the players on the offense.

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
OK I have a question...

A lot has been said about McDaniels wanting control of the roster and essentially being his own GM or bringing in his own guy (from what I've heard on radio and read in various articles, as well as discussion on this board) but has he actually made any statements regarding this or is it simply just assumed??? I'm not saying that it isn't true, I'm just wondering if that's information he has leaked out or if this is one of those things where someone had the idea, then someone else picked it up, then more and more people jumped on the idea and now it's become one of those things people all believe when it fact it was never true in the first place.

Part of the reason I'm asking is because if it's true, then why would he even meet with the Bears? Pace has made it clear that he is in charge of the roster and the new extension removes any chance of another GM....and I don't think he would spend his time interviewing with the Bears unless he actually intends on this being a serious possibility of becoming our HC.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bradford played on a high ankle sprain that year..

I'm aware and why I said he lost a few games as in didn't play. It's not enough of an excuse for a superior OC to only win 2 games. The year before, Shurmur won 7 and Bradford was a rookie.

billwade

Liked Posts:
OK I have a question...

A lot has been said about McDaniels wanting control of the roster and essentially being his own GM or bringing in his own guy (from what I've heard on radio and read in various articles, as well as discussion on this board) but has he actually made any statements regarding this or is it simply just assumed??? I'm not saying that it isn't true, I'm just wondering if that's information he has leaked out or if this is one of those things where someone had the idea, then someone else picked it up, then more and more people jumped on the idea and now it's become one of those things people all believe when it fact it was never true in the first place.

Part of the reason I'm asking is because if it's true, then why would he even meet with the Bears? Pace has made it clear that he is in charge of the roster and the new extension removes any chance of another GM....and I don't think he would spend his time interviewing with the Bears unless he actually intends on this being a serious possibility of becoming our HC.

No one is going to give him control of the roster after what he did in Denver. It's a moot issue. I'd bet serious money he never brings it up in an interview. He's going to have to do a lot of winning before anyone offers that kind of control to him again.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
No one is going to give him control of the roster after what he did in Denver. It's a moot issue. I'd bet serious money he never brings it up in an interview. He's going to have to do a lot of winning before anyone offers that kind of control to him again.

Quite aside from what happened with Denver, Pace just explicitly stated that the responsibility for the 53 rests solely with him.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
What I find interesting is that the Lions GM, who spent 6 years on the New England staff, has requested an interview with Matt Patricia, yet not Josh McDaniels. Maybe that is just a product of what he feels is the best fit for his team, his philosophy, yet it seems like he would have some decent insight into McDaniels.

Good point. That is interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I'm aware and why I said he lost a few games as in didn't play. It's not enough of an excuse for a superior OC to only win 2 games. The year before, Shurmur won 7 and Bradford was a rookie.
He played on the bad ankle for most of the year. If don't think playing on a bad ankle will affect how he plays then I don't know what to tell you.

Listen if you don't like him because of his failure in Denver then that's fine. And a legitimate concern. But to say he failed as a OC for 1 year, when his starting QB was playing on a high ankle sprain is a terrible argument..

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
Put it this way, he'll have to really impress in the interview considering the questions he needs to answer about his first head coaching stint if he is to get offered the job.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Put it this way, he'll have to really impress in the interview considering the questions he needs to answer about his first head coaching stint if he is to get offered the job.

I think he's screwed no matter how he answers.

Did you intentionally chase Cutler away or was that by accident? Did you think you were sticking it to the Bears with the trade deal, Orton and picks or did you think that was a fair price?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are hiring a defensive guy and keeping Cooter and the system in place. They don’t want Stafford to have to learn a new system and lose the momentum
They have.

I don't think that is set in stone, depending on who they hire, but they are leaving that option open, yes.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Absolute power corrupts, absolutely. McDaniels is fine now, because he exits under the BB umbrella. I am not buying in to the fact he has changed, nor do I think he could pull any of the top assistants along with him. You just spent three years with Fox, who was brought in to "change" the culture. Now you want to destroy it?