The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His Spots

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you’re going to give McDaniels all the credit for Godroppolo’s success, you have to give him some credit for any shortcomings.

The Patriots offense did not miss a beat between 2009-2011. In fact, Brady got Bill O’brien a couple of head coaching gigs because of those specific seasons.

The numbers tell you there was a drop off with O’Brien, even if he got a head coaching job.

Phibbulous

Thread Killer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Toronto Blue Jays
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  1. Michigan Wolverines
[video=youtube;0EYtJs12k_Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EYtJs12k_Y[/video]

I'm on the fence about McDaniels, but I found this encouraging for the Bears as an organization that McD would even take the interview.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are some warts on McDaniels.

But in terms of actual offensive and play calling success he has the best resume. Even in games without Brady.

Now does that success and experience outweigh concerns that may exist about his personality,

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I find it interesting that he would consider the job with Pace firmly planted as the GM. Word was McDaniels wanted to bring Caserio with him as his GM.

There still might be some hope for this franchise. He must be high on Trubisky.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This has some interesting numbers about McDaniels and The Patriots.

It looks at the assumption that McDaniels benefits from the Pats, but every year he was not there the Pats and Bradys numbers go down.

https://t.co/HoQGDkLG7P?amp=1

They only lost 5 games in 2010 and 2011 combines without Josh and 2 of those were playoff games, one a SB. Brady also had 107 and 111 ratings in those years. McDaniels may be a great OC but NE was fine without him. It's not every year that josh wasn't there that's the issue, it's the one year Brady came back from a year off due to injury that his #s were down and it pulled the average with it. Brady also had a few worse years than that with McDaniels as his HC.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
How did Sam Bradford do with Josh McDaniels? And Jimmy Garoppolo is still displaying awful mechanics going into his 5th professional season...

[video=youtube_share;ymIOgCfa9pY]https://youtu.be/ymIOgCfa9pY[/video]

well Bradford had a high ankle sprain for most of the year under McDaniels so using his stats that year is dumb..
And Garoppolo is playing very well for not having a lot of game experience

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
You know I’ve never thought that McDaniels would work here but after reading some of this thread......................Maybe it happens.
A fiery, arrogant, immature coach who likes to throw his players under the bus. Hmmm, who does that remind me of? Does he chew big wads of gum? Respond to hecklers?
There’s also another coach known to be an arrogant a**hole currently coaching in the league.
Sean Peyton. Pace’s mentor, the guy he used to talk with daily about football.
The fact of the matter is that most HC have big egos and are full of themselves. The question is has he developed some of the people skills he needs to do the job. “Da Coach” at least could charm people when he wanted to, can McDaniels?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
Wow just read so much shit on him...no way we can hire this head case. I always thought he was a prick but didn’t realize how much.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is a tough call.

What is more of a risk

McDaniels failures as a HC or Nagy/DeFilippos lack of experience. I honestly don’t know.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The numbers tell you there was a drop off with O’Brien, even if he got a head coaching job.

2005 - 4110 yards 26 TD/14 INT 92.3 QB rating
2006 - 3529 yards 24TD/12 INT 87.9 QB rating
2007 - 4806 yards 50 TD/8 INT 117.2 QB rating (Randy Moss season) (MVP)

2009 - 4398 yards 28 TD/13 INT 96.2 QB rating (comeback player of year from ACL)
2010 - 3900 yards 36 TD/4 INT 111.0 QB rating (MVP)
2011 - 5235 yards 39 TD/12 INT 105.6 QB rating

2012 - 4827 yards 34 TD/8 INT 98.7 QB rating
2013 - 4323 yards 25 TD/11 INT 87.3 QB rating
2014 - 4109 yards 33 TD/9 INT 97.4 QB rating

LMFAO! What drop off?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
It is a tough call.

What is more of a risk

McDaniels failures as a HC or Nagy/DeFilippos lack of experience. I honestly don’t know.

Easy decision. Give me Flip.

McDaniels wasn't just a failure in Denver, he was destructive, disrespectful and a poor leader.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
2005 - 4110 yards 26 TD/14 INT 92.3 QB rating
2006 - 3529 yards 24TD/12 INT 87.9 QB rating
2007 - 4806 yards 50 TD/8 INT 117.2 QB rating (Randy Moss season) (MVP)

2009 - 4398 yards 28 TD/13 INT 96.2 QB rating (comeback player of year from ACL)
2010 - 3900 yards 36 TD/4 INT 111.0 QB rating (MVP)
2011 - 5235 yards 39 TD/12 INT 105.6 QB rating

2012 - 4827 yards 34 TD/8 INT 98.7 QB rating
2013 - 4323 yards 25 TD/11 INT 87.3 QB rating
2014 - 4109 yards 33 TD/9 INT 97.4 QB rating

LMFAO! What drop off?

Yea Windy WTF if those numbers are correct???

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Easy decision. Give me Flip.

McDaniels wasn't just a failure in Denver, he was destructive, disrespectful and a poor leader.

How can you make that decision so easily?!?!?!?! I like DeFelippo but come on... he has been an OC for what 1 year? QB coach for the vast majority of his career and you just want to hand him the HC position. It can't be that easy.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
How can you make that decision so easily?!?!?!?! I like DeFelippo but come on... he has been an OC for what 1 year? QB coach for the vast majority of his career and you just want to hand him the HC position. It can't be that easy.

It is that easy when you see what McDaniels did in Denver, how crappy he was in St Louis and how he really hasn't made that much of a difference in NE.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Also,

Pat Shurmur took rookie Sam Bradford, he won ROY and the offense ranked 26th (unspectacular obviously but actually an improvement from the previous year).

McDaniels took over the next year when Shurmur left for Cleveland and Bradford regressed and the offense was 31st in the league.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
It is that easy when you see what McDaniels did in Denver, how crappy he was in St Louis and how he really hasn't made that much of a difference in NE.

McDaniels didn't like Cutler and it caused a huge fucking shit show. Was he wrong on Cutler? Pretty obvious to say that he wasn't wrong in wanting to replace the guy that led this very franchise to mediocrity for multiple seasons.

Yes I understand that he was an epic level douchebag as well, but you have never had a conversation with him. I don't care so much about all these interviews that come out about how much of a prick he was that was like 8 years ago. Gotta think some things can change for a person in 8 years.

Also, i'm fairly certain the Rams offense was completely void of any talent aside from maybe Bradford and I dont see how you can pin that all on one guy, much like I wouldn't pin the entire success of a team on 1 guy.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Assuming he is still an asshole.

Spectacular public failure can often change someone.

It can. But others tend to rationalise it away.

Obviously the interview would be critical if they go down this route. My opinion is that his behaviour towards everyone he encountered in Denver shows a worrying personality trait that doesn't tend to ameliorate. But who knows. He is certainly the clubhouse leader in terms of Xs and Os.

Rise

Liked Posts:
You can’t use stats to determine who is going to be the better head coach. You can use that to determine who is the best coordinator. Head coach is about being a leader, and hiring the right staff. Then balancing your team with your business.

Pat Shurmur was a bad head coach, 10-23. He won’t crash and burn your organization, reminds me a lot of Dick Jauron. Safe, but nothing to write home about. The typical Bears hire.

Josh Mcdaniels was a disaster as head coach. Huge risk, probably not worth it. His players did say they were never more prepared, but also never had fun. He was horrible with the business side. He was young, but can a person really change? Could be a super bowl winner or completely destroy your franchise.

Defillipo - complete unknown, is he the next McVay or mcdaniels? Odds are neither somewhere in between.

Nagy - see DeFilippo.

The reality is this years candidates are bad, no clear answer in the bunch. We need a miracle and to get lucky, we are for sure due for that. Wish we looked last year for a coach.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
It is a tough call.

What is more of a risk

It's a tough one for sure. Those Denver beat guys said it best - to paraphrase...

He was such a catastrophic failure in Denver that I don't know how he improves to good even if he has matured. And even if he achieves the best case scenario of resembling a functioning human being, there are still large chunks of the job that he has no interest in. Dealing with players' personal problems, talking to media, basically anything outside of the Xs and Os. Can a head coach function like that?

I would worry that even if he does show improvement, sooner or later and particularly under stress, he will regress to his baseline of being a major asshole.

Reactions: Myk