They're starting to post stuff like this and it's making me nervous

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can assure you that I'm me and no one else.

I see that this comment board is full of juvenile Theo Cultists and are far beyond capable of thinking "outside the box".

Any Cub's fan that doesn't like the direction of the team is a troll.

Idiots.
And I see that any Cubs fan that is okay with the team following the model of many of the most successful teams in baseball including the best team in the division is a "juvenile Theo Cultists and are far beyond capable of thinking "outside the box".

Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

I see that this comment board is full of juvenile Theo Cultists and are far beyond capable of thinking "outside the box".

Idiots.

Conversely, you are a Hendry-Trub cultist who wants to spend for the sake of spending and get piled up with back-loaded contracts to have a one-or-two year window of opportunity before falling on our asses like 2010.

Boston builds through the farm and supplements it with free agents, New York does the same. Spending wildly and disregarding the rebuilding process and being stuck with nearly un-tradeable Sorianos to block whatever talent you develop is such a great plan. You are a fucking genius, you know that? We should just fire Theo, Hoyer, and McLeod and let you and d3a run everything. :clap:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I could care less if you don't like it.

Continue with your waterworks and adding nothing of substance to the conversation.

Which is essentially what you're doing with your baseless, nonsensical estimation that the Cubs pissing away money on this below-average free agency class would bring the team closer to a World Series championship. Let's pretend for a minute that we signed two of the top five free agents (let's use Greinke and Michael Bourn, for example). Imagine that we gave Greinke the same deal the Dodgers handed him (six-years at a horrific $147 million) and Bourn got a 'discounted' signing of four-years at $64 million.

How much closer is that $211 million getting us to a World Series? We still have a glaring weakness at third base, behind the plate, we have question marks at closer, no immediate future at either corner outfield spot unless Brett Jackson proves early on that his revamped swing is ready to handle major league pitching. All these signings would do would create buzz among fair-weather fans and give the media some bits to chomp at.... and then the Cubs would still slide into a third or fourth place finish in the Central. Building a team capable of winning takes time -- forget the whole sustainable roster and building a farm system. Getting players that come together and play well as a unit for 162 games takes several years. You simply won't solve all of a teams' problems in one off-season. It simply can't be done.

I'm getting the impression that you'd be much happier with how the Dodgers or Blue Jays' off-season went as opposed to the Cubs for the simple fact that they both took on a ridiculous amount of salary. How do you think their fans will feel if both teams miss the playoffs or get swept in the first round? All they'll have to show for it is a horrible payroll that locks them into a bunch of injury-riddled, over-the-hill players. We all understand that there's no guarantee with prospects, but you can say the same for signing a guy to a lengthy contract. He may never live up to the money you're giving him. So, again.... if signing one or two guys gets you no closer to a World Series, why should a team tie up their payroll when they could give themselves a better chance to compete for a longer period of time?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
And I see that any Cubs fan that is okay with the team following the model of many of the most successful teams in baseball including the best team in the division is a "juvenile Theo Cultists and are far beyond capable of thinking "outside the box".

Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg

But this guy getz it and stuffzzzz

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:

Idiots.
I would argue we're thinking outside of the box considering the "buy the best team out there" strategy has been used since the advent of free agency. Teams that build through the draft are far more successful and allocate their money much more wisely so they can sign that big free agent when they need him. The draft, although banking on the lottery is more cost effective. I'd rather sign 10 guys who have the possibility of being Albert Pujols than signing the actual Albert Pujols after he has had his best year. A) Because it's more cost effective B) Because it won't hamper my team when it turns out that Pujols doesnt have it anymore, or it turns out Pujols wasnt the only missing piece.

I can tell I've lost you already, so really I am just contributing to the discussion with Rice, Dabs, Roobz, and J. Hope you got something out of that. Cheers

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which is essentially what you're doing with your baseless, nonsensical estimation that the Cubs pissing away money on this below-average free agency class would bring the team closer to a World Series championship. Let's pretend for a minute that we signed two of the top five free agents (let's use Greinke and Michael Bourn, for example). Imagine that we gave Greinke the same deal the Dodgers handed him (six-years at a horrific $147 million) and Bourn got a 'discounted' signing of four-years at $64 million.

How much closer is that $211 million getting us to a World Series? We still have a glaring weakness at third base, behind the plate, we have question marks at closer, no immediate future at either corner outfield spot unless Brett Jackson proves early on that his revamped swing is ready to handle major league pitching. All these signings would do would create buzz among fair-weather fans and give the media some bits to chomp at.... and then the Cubs would still slide into a third or fourth place finish in the Central. Building a team capable of winning takes time -- forget the whole sustainable roster and building a farm system. Getting players that come together and play well as a unit for 162 games takes several years. You simply won't solve all of a teams' problems in one off-season. It simply can't be done.

I'm getting the impression that you'd be much happier with how the Dodgers or Blue Jays' off-season went as opposed to the Cubs for the simple fact that they both took on a ridiculous amount of salary. How do you think their fans will feel if both teams miss the playoffs or get swept in the first round? All they'll have to show for it is a horrible payroll that locks them into a bunch of injury-riddled, over-the-hill players. We all understand that there's no guarantee with prospects, but you can say the same for signing a guy to a lengthy contract. He may never live up to the money you're giving him. So, again.... if signing one or two guys gets you no closer to a World Series, why should a team tie up their payroll when they could give themselves a better chance to compete for a longer period of time?
And that neglects the fact that the Dodgers and Blue Jays had way more impact players than the Cubs do at the time they made those moves.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
I would argue you're thinking outside of the box considering the "buy the best team out there" strategy has been used since the advent of free agency. Teams that build through the draft are far more successful and allocate their money much more wisely so they can sign that big free agent when they need him. The draft, although banking on the lottery is more cost effective. I'd rather sign 10 guys who have the possibility of being Albert Pujols than signing the actual Albert Pujols after he has had his best year. A) Because it's more cost effective B) Because it won't hamper my team when it turns out that Pujols doesnt have it anymore, or it turns out Pujols wasnt the only missing piece.

I can tell I've lost you already, so really I am just contributing to the discussion with Rice, Dabs, Roobz, and J. Hope you got something out of that. Cheers

It is quite sad that a Sox fans knows and understands the plan better than a Cub fan does.

He wont ever chance off his "spend spend spend" thought process.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

And he not only may not, he in all likelihood WILL not, as elite players tend to get long-term contracts with back-loaded salaries during their final years in the league as replacement-level players.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Payroll has been dropped about $50M since the 2010 season. That is FACT.

The Cubs lost 101 games last year. That is FACT.

Most of the moves made the last two years have not been geared towards the long term success of the franchise, it is been geared more towards band aids or trying to catch lightning in a bottle. That is FACT.

Please, in your expert opinion, outline all the moves made the last two offseasons that were intended to field a winning team last year and now this year.

I will anxiously await this analysis.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is quite sad that a Sox fans knows and understands the plan better than a Cub fan does.

He wont ever chance off his "spend spend spend" thought process.

I know the plan, and I appreciate the plan, and I wish and hope our GM attempts to build our farm as well, the talent on the White Sox 40-man roster built through the draft is quite saddening

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Most of the moves made the last two years have not been geared towards the long term success of the franchise, it is been geared more towards band aids or trying to catch lightning in a bottle. That is FACT.

Please, in your expert opinion, outline all the moves made the last two offseasons that were intended to field a winning team last year and now this year.

:obama:

Only cares about the short-run, would bitch in three years when all the moves bite us in the ass and he wants that GM fired for the moves he wanted made

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
A) Last season, Theo said the Cubs probably wouldn't be competitive, he knew that, the fan knew that.
B) This season hasn't even been played yet, the Sox were expected to finish 4th last year on paper, and we finished 2nd and almost won the division, who's to say the Cubs can't do the same. Especially considering the end of the year success they had last year.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
A) Last season, Theo said the Cubs probably wouldn't be competitive, he knew that, the fan knew that.
B) This season hasn't even been played yet, the Sox were expected to finish 4th last year on paper, and we finished 2nd and almost won the division, who's to say the Cubs can't do the same. Especially considering the end of the year success they had last year.

Well, nobody, except you know, the odds.

Or maybe Theo has a plan to suck forever guys (cue article disproving this). He is sabotaging us and then trading Castro and Rizzo to Boston.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Yeah, you're right -- all of those lucrative free agent deals the Cubs handed out (Uh... there were none) and their desire to search for international talent like Soler (who's at least a season and a half away from making his MLB debut) sounds dead up like the team trying to catch lightning in a bottle! Couple that with stockpiling through the draft and signing free agents who could be used as trade chips for sure-fire contenders later this season (Baker, Villaneuva, Fujikawa, etc), and yeah, you're right -- we were totally trying to go for 110 wins this season. Scott Baker and Edwin Jackson -- CHAMPIONSHIP.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, nobody, except you know, the odds.

Or maybe Theo has a plan to suck forever guys (cue article disproving this). He is sabotaging us and then trading Castro and Rizzo to Boston.

And then he's gonna take all the money has saved by not spending $200 million on the team the past two years and BUY the Red Sox :bizarro:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
And then he's gonna take all the money has saved by not spending $200 million on the team the past two years and BUY the Red Sox :bizarro:

He should buy all the Boston sports teams, the Revolution need a real soccer stadium.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
He should buy all the Boston sports teams, the Revolution need a real soccer stadium.

haha always gotta bring the MLS into it :rolleyes:
plus how much could the Revolution possibly be? $10? Most likely

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And lol @ Dewey thinking this guy gets it...
*Dewey's though process: Hmm... he criticized the Cubs... OMG this guy iz a geniuzzz and stuffffzzzzz... Finallyzzzz someonezzzz getzzzzzzz thatzzz nothingzzzz the Cubzzz dooo izzzz gooooodddzzzzz*

have I not been against this whole plan of theos?

lets bank on prospects. hows that working? jackson,vitters etc etc.

Some of you assume that due to the prospect rankings and the fact that theo has them they will all turn out to be studs. that is the delusion some of you have.

So what if some of the prospects fail? you have zero major league talent that can be dealt to replace flop specs outside of garza.

the system is soooo dry of pitching that your lover signs: feldman,baker and that dumb contract of jacksons....and than to top it off due to sharks one year he is all of a sudden untouchable.

whateverzzz teh theoszz doeszz isz teh bestz

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Yeah, you're right -- all of those lucrative free agent deals the Cubs handed out (Uh... there were none) and their desire to search for international talent like Soler (who's at least a season and a half away from making his MLB debut) sounds dead up like the team trying to catch lightning in a bottle! Couple that with stockpiling through the draft and signing free agents who could be used as trade chips for sure-fire contenders later this season (Baker, Villaneuva, Fujikawa, etc), and yeah, you're right -- we were totally trying to go for 110 wins this season. Scott Baker and Edwin Jackson -- CHAMPIONSHIP.

I figured as much.

Let's wait on Soler and "stockpile" draft picks that we already are entitled to whether or not a competitive team is placed on the field.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
have I not been against this whole plan of theos?

lets bank on prospects. hows that working? jackson,vitters etc etc.

Some of you assume that due to the prospect rankings and the fact that theo has them they will all turn out to be studs. that is the delusion some of you have.

So what if some of the prospects fail? you have zero major league talent that can be dealt to replace flop specs outside of garza.

the system is soooo dry of pitching that your lover signs: feldman,baker and that dumb contract of jacksons....and than to top it off due to sharks one year he is all of a sudden untouchable.

whateverzzz teh theoszz doeszz isz teh bestz

:obama: