Today the most important day for Theo Epstein?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
After watching video on Bryant, I really like his stance. Uses little movement. Should allow him to catch up to any fastball. You can see the tons of power that he has. Lets hope for the best for this guy.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
After watching video on Bryant, I really like his stance. Uses little movement. Should allow him to catch up to any fastball. You can see the tons of power that he has. Lets hope for the best for this guy.

I understand the pick. He is a power hitter with patience. Seems like a natural fit for what the Cubs want to do. The questions with him are does the bat transfer from college ball to pro ball and can he stick at 3B. If the answer to both is yes the Cubs hit a home run on this one. If the answer is no to the second one, it could still be a very good pick. If the answer is no to the first question it is Luis Montanez.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Let's hope the Bryant pick wasn't a waste.

Bryant SCREAMS bust to me.

Played in a weak Division I conference and did not hit for an impressive average considering playing in a weak conference. Not even in the top 250 college players with at least 120 AB's.

Plenty of concern about his ability to make contact even at the college level usually does not translate well to the professional level.

Funny how the same people who dismiss Mark Reynolds as an improvement to this team because of his lack of ability to make contact will praise this as a great pick.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

And yet the scouting report on him questions his ability to hit major league fastballs or breaking pitches.

From the player profile on CBS Sports draft tracker....

" but there are concerns about how his swing will work against high-end fastballs and big-league breaking pitches."

From the player profile on MLB.com.....

"There is a good amount of swing and miss to his game"

Ouch.

Hello Brandon Wood II

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Bryant SCREAMS bust to me.

Played in a weak Division I conference and did not hit for an impressive average considering playing in a weak conference. Not even in the top 250 college players with at least 120 AB's.

Plenty of concern about his ability to make contact even at the college level usually does not translate well to the professional level.

Funny how the same people who dismiss Mark Reynolds as an improvement to this team because of his lack of ability to make contact will praise this as a great pick.

Given that he was the best hitter on that team, you would think he wouldn't get many pitches to hit. Yet he was able to hit 31HR. Also, college has changed the style of bat that they are using. It isn't the same "ping" metal bats that we grew up with.

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2013/05/16/scouting-report-kris-bryant-3bof/

Mark Reynolds has k'd over 200 times in multiple seasons. Kris Bryant had more BB than K this year.

http://www.collegesplits.com/cgi-bin/csPlayer.cgi?pl=bryankr42

You are grasping at straws here.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And yet the scouting report on him questions his ability to hit major league fastballs or breaking pitches.

From the player profile on CBS Sports draft tracker....

" but there are concerns about how his swing will work against high-end fastballs and big-league breaking pitches."

From the player profile on MLB.com.....

"There is a good amount of swing and miss to his game"

Ouch.

Hello Brandon Wood II

This says different and from what I am seeing. I dont know how he wouldnt be able to cstch up to baseballs. That may be old because he changed his approach.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
I understand the pick. He is a power hitter with patience. Seems like a natural fit for what the Cubs want to do. The questions with him are does the bat transfer from college ball to pro ball and can he stick at 3B. If the answer to both is yes the Cubs hit a home run on this one. If the answer is no to the second one, it could still be a very good pick. If the answer is no to the first question it is Luis Montanez.

Luis Montanez? There is nothing alike between Luis Montanez and Kris Bryant.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Luis Montanez? There is nothing alike between Luis Montanez and Kris Bryant.

The possibility of them having the same amount of impact at the big league level was the comparison I was drawing. I am hopeful for Bryant due to his approach at the plate and his raw power, but he is far from a lock to be even just a regular guy at the big league level.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
This says different and from what I am seeing. I dont know how he wouldnt be able to cstch up to baseballs. That may be old because he changed his approach.

Nope.

Those quotes are from the draft tracker pages posted today.

His swing looks loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg which is how it could easily make it hard from him to catch up to higher end major league fastballs.

Great he hit 30 HR's in a weak conference, he is a list of some of the other players who have hit 31 HR's at the college level.....

Jeff Ledbetter
Brandon Larson
Steve Hacker
Russ Spence
Daylan Holt
Nate Gold
Joe Dillon
Frank Fazzini
Billy Becher
Lance Shebelut
Casey Child
Mike Willis

Anyone hear of any of those guys? lol

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Exactly.

But idiots like willrust are ready to put him in the Hall of Fame already.

Nope, just not going to write off the guy most baseball people are calling the best bat in this years draft. But hey, at least you are consistent in shitting on Cub players ;)

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Nope, just not going to write off the guy most baseball people are calling the best bat in this years draft. But hey, at least you are consistent in shitting on Cub players ;)

Pedro Alvarez was also called the best bat in the draft the last year a college 3B went #2.

He has been very, very disappointing.

At least you are consistent in believing every single prospect will be an All Star major league player.

Maybe one of these years you will actually be right.

You haven't been close yet.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

Quotes from this unbiased opinion....

Has posted gaudy numbers against inferior pitching;

has feasted on inferior pitching in a weak college conference; will be forced to improve pitch selection, recognition at the next level; adjustment process will be tested against more advanced stuff; swing has some length and makes him vulnerable to plus velocity on the hands (hmmm, seems like someone else also mentioned a long swing)

contact rate and propensity to swing and miss will likely be challenged at the next level;

may struggle against improved secondary offerings as a professional;

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Pedro Alvarez was also called the best bat in the draft the last year a college 3B went #2.

At least you are consistent in believing every single prospect will be an All Star major league player.

Maybe one of these years you will actually be right.

You haven't been close yet.

Go find a single quote from me saying a minor league prospect is guaranteed to be an all star. Doesn't exist. I believe in building primarily through youth and supplementing that foundation through FA and trades doesn't equate to me believing that every prospect will become an All Star.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kris Bryant is going to be a stud!!

Willrust

Liked Posts:

Alvarez wasn't projected as an 80 power guy. Bryant is.

Shocked that a KC guy didn't mention Moustakas in 2007 or Gordon in 2005 as 3B taken with the #2 pick. Hell, in the history of the draft only 4 3B have been selected with the #2 pick. But does any of that matter? Nope. Cubs got Bryant and he is an intriguing prospect for the future.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Quotes from this unbiased opinion....

Has posted gaudy numbers against inferior pitching;

has feasted on inferior pitching in a weak college conference; will be forced to improve pitch selection, recognition at the next level; adjustment process will be tested against more advanced stuff; swing has some length and makes him vulnerable to plus velocity on the hands (hmmm, seems like someone else also mentioned a long swing)

contact rate and propensity to swing and miss will likely be challenged at the next level;

may struggle against improved secondary offerings as a professional;

I am reading that he is going to be tested by better stuff. No shit! So is everybody else taken in the draft. BTW, almost every player is vulnerable to fastballs on the hands.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Alvarez wasn't projected as an 80 power guy. Bryant is.

Your unbiased scouting report has Bryant at 70/80 in power.

Also I said that Alvarez was considered the best college bat.

Continue to strawman away crybaby.

Shocked that a KC guy didn't mention Moustakas in 2007 or Gordon in 2005 as 3B taken with the #2 pick.

Oh yeah, that Moustakas sure has turned into a great pro hasn't he?

And Gordon put up WAY better numbers in college against WAY better competition and until his remarkable, against the odds turnaround two years ago was considered a major bust.

Strawman away.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Go find a single quote from me saying a minor league prospect is guaranteed to be an all star.

Brandon Wood says hello.

You have overhyped every single prospect you have ever talked about and not even one has turned into a quality major league player.

Not one.

You have been wrong about every single prospect you have ever talked about.

100% wrong.

Those are the facts and that is the reality.

You are clueless.

But like I keep saying, maybe just maybe one day you will be right. It will be the first time.