Today the most important day for Theo Epstein?

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Brandon Wood says hello.

And yet there is not a single quote of me every saying that he would be a guaranteed all star.

You have overhyped every single prospect you have ever talked about and not even one has turned into a quality major league player.

Examples??? Nope. Just your bullshit "facts" that are entirely fabricated. Just because a person has a discussion about a Cub prospect, doesn't mean that person thinks the prospect will become an All Star or even a major league regular. I have never guaranteed either from any prospect that I have discussed. I have discussed players' ability based upon their current production whether in the minors or in college, video of the players and what scouts and baseball people project them to be.

But that will never stop you from your silly youthful tantrums and lies....err "facts"...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is dumb. Kris Bryant has monster power potential. Every prospect has flaws. He actually has a pretty high floor according to scouts. He could easily bust, but its foolish to say he is a bust before he ever plays in the minors. He is one of the top prospects in this draft. I dont understand what is there to be mad about. We will see what he becomes just like with the rest of our prospects but I will say this. The Cubs have some serious position players in their top 10 that should allow for a big trade in the near future. We have 4 guys in our top 10 with 30 plus home run potential. Not many clubs can say that.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
For me, I think the Bryant selection could potentially point to the Cubs deciding to flesh out their rotation either VIA free agency or trading away some of their fodder for pitching prospects. When Appel went first, I was fairly confident they would've jumped on Gray. Between Gray, Bryant, and Appel, I honestly felt like the Cubs were getting a quality prospect that brings varying attributes to their system. Appel is obviously closest, in terms of being able to make a big league impact (more than likely the start of 2014). Gray and Bryant are obviously farther away, but both have equally high ceilings.

My real concern is Bryant sticking at third. It's a mixed bag among talking heads that he'll stay at third (where he's shown adequate range and an average arm) or shift to right field. Obviously, his offensive impact takes a dip if he moves to the outfield, along with his value. Like I had mentioned earlier, I would assume the Cubs look at Bryant as their third baseman of the future and they can shift their attention to acquiring pitching over the next two offseasons, whether that's VIA trade or free agency.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
For me, I think the Bryant selection could potentially point to the Cubs deciding to flesh out their rotation either VIA free agency or trading away some of their fodder for pitching prospects. When Appel went first, I was fairly confident they would've jumped on Gray. Between Gray, Bryant, and Appel, I honestly felt like the Cubs were getting a quality prospect that brings varying attributes to their system. Appel is obviously closest, in terms of being able to make a big league impact (more than likely the start of 2014). Gray and Bryant are obviously farther away, but both have equally high ceilings.

My real concern is Bryant sticking at third. It's a mixed bag among talking heads that he'll stay at third (where he's shown adequate range and an average arm) or shift to right field. Obviously, his offensive impact takes a dip if he moves to the outfield, along with his value. Like I had mentioned earlier, I would assume the Cubs look at Bryant as their third baseman of the future and they can shift their attention to acquiring pitching over the next two offseasons, whether that's VIA trade or free agency.

We need to see if Bryant will make the team first, and when. Let him play at 3rd base then and see what he has skill wise and how he handles major league pitching. A lot can happen between now and then. In other words, lets cross that bridge when we get to it.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Has posted gaudy numbers against inferior pitching in a weak college conference
And? Teams have drafted players in the first round straight out of high school!! Nothing ferior about the high school level. A lot of your average joe's can hit that and yet some MLB teams draft right outta that. Bryant will need to take some time in the minors to develop but so what, most all players including high picks do anyways.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Some here continue challenging or asking the same things over and over, which out of consistancy, requires the same answer over and over.

It's not just one way as I believe you are insinuating. The facts are that there are more diffferent people asking or challlenging our position, which we are fewer, with the same bullshit worded differently.

So the few that you might be tired of reading the same things over and over about may naturally come to the forefront in your mind. If you are lazy, it's just easier.

Or the "guilty party" are just randomly responding to nothing, while the others can quote our text and argue it at the same time.

Forgive me for insinuating that. I don't find either party right or wrong. I just don't understand it. I agree that it's on both sides of the Theo fence. :shrug:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
And? Teams have drafted players in the first round straight out of high school!! Nothing ferior about the high school level. A lot of your average joe's can hit that and yet some MLB teams draft right outta that. Bryant will need to take some time in the minors to develop but so what, most all players including high picks do anyways.

And most of those players are never successful at the major league level, even those drafted in the first round.

That is the reality of the situation.

This isn't the NFL where your top 5 picks often make the Pro Bowl or better. This is baseball where only a very small percentage of even the high draft picks become above average major league players.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
but its foolish to say he is a bust before he ever plays in the minors.

I have not said he is a bust.

I have said he has a lot of red flags to me that I have seen many busts have.

The low average and the high swing and miss rate against a low level of college competition should be a warning to everyone with a brain who is able to think for themselves.

Sadly that eliminates many around here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
CHICAGO -- Kris Bryant, the Cubs' first-round Draft pick, was so confident in his ability, he said he was ready to play in the big leagues now. That prompted manager Dale Sveum to check with the team's traveling secretary to see if the third baseman was headed to Chicago for Friday's game.

"I was looking for a flight manifest to see if we could get him in the lineup today," Sveum said.

Not yet. Bryant was taken second overall in Day 1 of the First-Year Player Draft on Thursday. The 20-year-old infielder led the nation with 31 home runs for San Diego.

"We got the best hitter in the Draft," Sveum said. "He's an athlete -- 6-foot-5, great body, can run, throw. And obviously, we know about his power. Watching all the video on him, I loved his mechanics hitting, and his strength and ability to hit the ball to center field and right-center field is a plus.

"Whenever you get the best hitter in the Draft, one thing, knock on wood, is that they hit in the big leagues."

Watching video, Sveum could also tell Bryant has the athleticism to handle third base. Seeing Bryant hit got Sveum excited about the future.

"Just watching him, he has pretty good mechanics that usually last and will play well in the big leagues," Sveum said. "It's nice to have a guy who outhomered 200 major college teams."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...tebook_id=49921736&vkey=notebook_chc&c_id=chc

I'm happy with the pick.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Forgive me for insinuating that. I don't find either party right or wrong. I just don't understand it. I agree that it's on both sides of the Theo fence. :shrug:

When you start a sticky thread claiming all things Ricketts/Theo need to be placed here........

It definitely points the finger at a few of us that are making our points backed with factual evidence most of the time.

I wonder if you have skipped over others posts just to read ours. Which I don't blame you because the group here from CBS is very opinionated, intelligent,, mostly rational, and to be honest very entertaining.

As you can see willrust gets bashed quite often. But there is a reason why he voluntarily came here. It's because he loves it. So keep that in mind.

The main point of my response to you is that there are no hard feelings. It is just a message board and you seem to be a stand up guy. Hope I've been able to enlighten you a bit.

patg006

Liked Posts:
When you start a sticky thread claiming all things Rickets/Theo need to be placed here........

It definitely points the finger at a few of us that are making our points backed with factual evidence most of the time.

I wonder if you have skipped over others posts just to read ours. Which I don't blame you because the group here from CBS is very opinionated, intelligent,, mostly rational, and to be honest very entertaining.

As you can see willrust gets bashed quite often. But there is a reason why he voluntarily came here. It's because he loves it. So keep that in mind.

The main point of my response to you is that there are no hard feelings. It is just a message board and you seem to be a stand up guy. Hope I've been able to enlighten you a bit.

Will is a sport though--I'll give him that. And theres still a couple missing......though I believe a few walk among us......

Back on topic. Theo gets a C- from me for this draft. Bryant was an A, Zastrysynsky gets a B. Everything else C's and D's. I believe Jon Denney was the best all-around catcher on both sides of the game, and the cubs passed on him and he got stolen by Boston.....

Puk is still available.....guess he's demanding money......so I expect another 'pass' from the brass. Compared to Josh Johnson with his pitches as he's got the same 3 (plus 4 seam, jaw-dropping 12-6, and circle change that needs work) and throws very similarly, except hes left handed and Josh is right......

Horrible memories to the Bears draft this past April......with some of these.

But, thats why they're the experts, thats all i got.....I go on what common sense tells me.

patg006

Liked Posts:
The shit he pulled on KB at CBS is beyond pathetic and downright disgusting. He tried his bullshit with me also.

A normal person would have owned up to their stupidity by now.

Having never gunned for me, I wouldnt know. I meant wills a sport for taking all of the abuse in the world....hope hes ready for more.

I know Jeff was a pos, czman was too.....stupid on top of being stalkers and all out fucking retards.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I go on what common sense tells me.

Unfortunately common sense tells me that a low BA for an 'elite' college player against weak competition and questions about his ability to make consistent contact and a very long swing translates to big time struggles as a pro.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately common sense tells me that a low BA for an 'elite' college player against weak competition and questions about his ability to make consistent contact and a very long swing translates to big time struggles as a pro.

He screams right handed Adam Dunn 2.0 to me too.....we should be so lucky if he can bop 45 bombs. But I'll give him a shot in the minors to prove me wrong. I dont think he should get special treatment if he struggles at all. I saw him get taken over a top pitcher, and people (Levine and Jesse Rogers) are saying up in 2014 contributing. I'm holding him to that.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Having never gunned for me, I wouldnt know. I meant wills a sport for taking all of the abuse in the world....hope hes ready for more.

I know Jeff was a pos, czman was too.....stupid on top of being stalkers and all out fucking retards.

I can say with great accuracy that the dumbass reported over three hundred of my posts within a six-month time frame.That would have been almost every one.

I would hate to guess how many of KB's within that timeframe.

He would be banned from just about everywhere else for doing that.

CBS mods weren't anywhere close to being as good as the ones here.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
As will I.

I'm just not going to use up a vat of Vaseline over him immediately like many others are.

If he produces at an above average level, I will be on-board.

If he ends up as good as Mark Reynolds, I'd be okay with it.

Would like to sign Mark Reynolds if he's available anyway.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
He screams right handed Adam Dunn 2.0 to me too.....we should be so lucky if he can bop 45 bombs. But I'll give him a shot in the minors to prove me wrong. I dont think he should get special treatment if he struggles at all. I saw him get taken over a top pitcher, and people (Levine and Jesse Rogers) are saying up in 2014 contributing. I'm holding him to that.

Really wanted Gray. The kid may have been able to step into the closer role right away on this pathetic team, just for starters.