Training Camp - Day 4

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you sure? You can't compare QB statistics across eras. This is a passing league and everyone's numbers are something that would have been all pro 30 years ago. You can only compare how good they were relative to other QBs at the time.

What was Trubisky's rate+ in 2018 compared to McMahon's in 1985? I'm pretty sure I remember reading that McMahon was top 10 in '85.

McMahon had 3 seasons with a better rate+ than Trubisky last year.

Cutlers first 2 years in Denver were slightly better, then all down hill.

Grossman was never close.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
No worries. I was assured that after a year in the system this wouldn't be an issue in 2019. It has nothing to do with Trubisky maybe just not being a very accurate passer beyond the chains. Should be fine.

Any updates on the rain?
Well, it seems the "journalist" tweeted after ONE short ball, and then proceeded to let us know the next three were on the money.

A tweet for every snap - WTF!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, it seems the "journalist" tweeted after ONE short ball, and then proceeded to let us know the next three were on the money.

A tweet for every snap - WTF!

Is that like a chicken in every pot?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
McMahon, from what I understand obviously I wasn’t alive back then, was a decent to good QB who just couldn’t stay healthy.
Edit: it’s also worth mentioning in the 3 seasons McMahon had a higher Rate+ he played in 9, 11, and 6 games those seasons. So it’s a relatively small sample size.

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Are you sure? You can't compare QB statistics across eras. This is a passing league and everyone's numbers are something that would have been all pro 30 years ago. You can only compare how good they were relative to other QBs at the time.

What was Trubisky's rate+ in 2018 compared to McMahon's in 1985? I'm pretty sure I remember reading that McMahon was top 10 in '85.

I'm sure because I watched every game of his Bear career. He played behind the best offensive line in football with one of the greatest players of all time but was still only pedestrian with limited arm strength. Plus, he could never stay healthy. They could have won in '85 with Fuller.

I felt he and Ditka were the reasons they only won one SB. I was hoping they would draft Marino in '83 with their second first round pick.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm sure because I watched every game of his Bear career. He played behind the best offensive line in football with one of the greatest players of all time but was still only pedestrian with limited arm strength. Plus, he could never stay healthy. They could have won in '85 with Fuller.

I felt he and Ditka were the reasons they only won one SB. I was hoping they would draft Marino in '83 with their second first round pick.
McMahon was drafted in 1982. It was impossible for Bears to draft 2 qbs in first round in a row. Especially the first rounder in 1983 was Jimbo Covert.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
McMahon had 3 seasons with a better rate+ than Trubisky last year.

Cutlers first 2 years in Denver were slightly better, then all down hill.

Grossman was never close.

You saw McMahon play. What did your eyes tell you?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
McMahon was drafted in 1982. It was impossible for Bears to draft 2 qbs in first round in a row. Especially the first rounder in 1983 was Jimbo Covert.

They had two first round picks in 1983. Marino was still on the board when they selected at 18.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Many posters here are "afraid" to say t his, but I'm not. Here it fucking goes:

If Trubisky is successful at all, I'm going to be pissed.
Why? At least an explanation is warranted.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I'm obviously quite a bit younger than you but from the extensive amount of McMahon's play that I've seen, I don't recall him missing as many open targets as Trubisky.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I'm obviously quite a bit younger than you but from the extensive amount of McMahon's play that I've seen, I don't recall him missing as many open targets as Trubisky.

The Bears could run the ball on anybody at will in those days. His receivers were always open.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think it is too early to compare the two. McMahon commanded the teams respect and knew defenses better.

Trubisky is more athletic but has a ways to go on reading defenses.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I think it is too early to compare the two. McMahon commanded the teams respect and knew defenses better.

Trubisky is more athletic but has a ways to go on reading defenses.

I absolutely agree that McMahon could read defenses and he knew were the ball should go.

Bort

Liked Posts:

I'm glad that we have a new training camp thread each day because they all go wildly off topic by mid afternoon.

Also, you're nuts if you think McMahon was the reason they only won one Super Bowl. With a healthy McMahon, they win again in 86, and it's not McMahon's fault that Charles Martin literally body slammed him on his throwing shoulder as he was walking back to the sidelines in that game in 86.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You mean like they beat Miami... Oh wait! How about the Vikings game Fuller started and McMahon talked his way into while injured? See what Fuller says about it. http://www.espn.com/chicago/85bears/regular?id=5401532