Turco Signed (1Y,1.3M), Hawks walk away from Niemi.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Re: WGN Reporting Turco signed for $1.75 per. Niemi also si

[quote name="Stu Grimson"]

Hahaha!

But seriously... do want Huet to commit suicide when Niemi steals an AHL gig away from him?

Although a Stanley Cup and Calder Cup in back to back years might raise his price!!!![/quote]

Best comment ever. Made my day thanks Stu.

whalerhawk

Liked Posts:

[quote name="Maiden"]

tHATS NOT DEMANDING? wtf ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.

ISNT SIGNING AN OFFER SHEET FROM ANOTHER CLUB SLIGHTLY WORSE THAN TAKING YOUR CURRENT CLUB TO ARBITRATION? ANYTIME YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT APPLES AND ORANGES BANANAS BULLSHIT, ILL JUST CONTINUE READING YOUR POSTS AND ITS SPEWS OFF THE PAGE.[/quote]

Signing an offer sheet is simply figuring out your market and using that to your advantage. Hammer had no arbitration rights, so he could have held out for more money until the cows came home, he wasn't going to get it from the Hawks unless someone else ponied up. He even said that he was surprised that San Jose got involved. What do you expect him to do, turn down more money from a very competitive team in a nice lifestyle market only to take $1 million less from the Hawks per annum? Are you crazy? If the Sharks didn't get involved, Hammer would have eventually had to realize that he needed to sign for what he could get, which would have been in the $2.5 million range, probably. That's not mercenary behavior.

Niemi's however, was. He thought he was worth $4 million per year (or his agent did) and instead of not filing for arbitration and waiting for his own offer sheet, he decided to push the Hawks by having an arbitrator determine his worth. In the end, it may come back to bite him, who knows? But I view what Niemi did as far worse than what Hammer did. Hammer just sat around and waited for something to happen. Niemi played his cards and forced his destiny.

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:

[quote name="Variable"]

Uhh, didn't he turn down more money from the Flyers?[/quote]

Yes - I said 'for the most part' in my post above. Keep in mind the Flyers approached him at the start of the free agent signing period. I think it more likely Turco thought he could get more money and turned down their $2.2M offer vs. turning it down soley to play for the BlackHawks. Now that the market has waned for his services $1.75M is probably the best he can get.

whalerhawk

Liked Posts:

[quote name="Kerfuffle"]

Yes - I said 'for the most part' in my post above. Keep in mind the Flyers approached him at the start of the free agent signing period. I think it more likely Turco thought he could get more money and turned down their $2.2M offer vs. turning it down soley to play for the BlackHawks. Now that the market has waned for his services $1.75M is probably the best he can get.[/quote]

The market has certainly dried up, but I wouldn't be so sure about that. There were a bunch of articles in CSN Philly over the weekend that had Turco going on the record as saying he would have "loved" to be a Flyer, but that they just couldn't get things done contract-wise. Not much other detail. My take on that is that Ton was right on this one. Turco wants a short deal to re-prove his worth and then hit UFA status again next year. He didn't want a 3 year deal that would lock him in at $2 million per year.

Did he take less money to come here? Yes, in year 1 he did. But if he signs a 3 year deal next summer for $10 million, then you have to say, no, he didn't leave money on the table by not signing with Philly.

Why Philly won't tender him a one-year offer is beyond me, especially if they have $2 million to spend.

bierboy

Liked Posts:

Kuc tweeting that the Hawks are walking away from Niemi's arbitration award and he's a UFA.

phranchk

Liked Posts:

They are now reporting the Turco signing as done and that they are letting Niemi become a UFA. I'm very surprised they didn't even sign and trade him.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="Maiden"]This whole fiasco and the way the fans are treating Niemi makes me sick to my stomach.

The son of a bitch won 16 games in the playoffs (including stealing 3 or 4 games) and is being treated like he is Adam Munro for Christ sake. Most of you wouldn't know a dog if it bit you in the ass.[/quote]

Damn Maiden, I share your frustration. WTF???

Once again, the Blackhawks losing history when it comes to goalies continues.

A fucking rookie wins the first Stanley Cup since 1961 and we are losing him.

Blame it on the cap, blame it on Zito, blame it on there not being enough snow in Chicago for a Fin but WTF are we doing losing this guy?

I don't think I can post anymore today because I will get out of hand in here.

[quote name="Kerfuffle"]

Careful what you wish for. Turco didn't sign on the cheap because it was the Hawks. He signed on the cheap because for the most part there was no demand out there for him. I was convinved these past 2 seasons watching Turco that his NHL playing days are over. You better pray he has something left in the tank or this is going to be a very long season.[/quote]

Really? It's been reported SEVERAL TIMES that the Flyers offered him well over 2 mil. No demand? You sure?

You read or follow anything here? Yikes!

[quote name="IceHogsFan"]

Damn Maiden, I share your frustration. WTF???

Once again, the Blackhawks losing history when it comes to goalies continues.

A fucking rookie wins the first Stanley Cup since 1961 and we are losing him.

Blame it on the cap, blame it on Zito, blame it on there not being enough snow in Chicago for a Fin but WTF are we doing losing this guy?

I don't think I can post anymore today because I will get out of hand in here.[/quote]

Helped win the first Stanley Cup.

DBQHawkFan

Liked Posts:

[quote name="phranchk"]They are now reporting the Turco signing as done and that they are letting Niemi become a UFA. I'm very surprised they didn't even sign and trade him.[/quote]

This may be the stupidest move they made all summer. If they decide that they need to let him go, then they should have at least done the sign and trade to get some assets back in exchange. Terrible move if it is true!

[quote name="phranchk"]They are now reporting the Turco signing as done and that they are letting Niemi become a UFA. I'm very surprised they didn't even sign and trade him.[/quote]

I am as well. I wish the true Cap number was really out there.

bierboy

Liked Posts:

[quote name="IceHogsFan"]....A fucking rookie wins the first Stanley Cup since 1961 and we are losing him.....[/quote]

Sorry, Chris, but Niemi didn't win anything, the TEAM won the Cup.

bierboy

Liked Posts:

[quote name="phranchk"]...I'm very surprised they didn't even sign and trade him.[/quote]

As am I. We could have gotten at least something for him you would think...

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="bierboy"]

Sorry, Chris, but Niemi didn't win anything, the TEAM won the Cup.[/quote]

Sorry, I call BS.

You think it was won with Huey in the pipes? Not a chance.

bierboy

Liked Posts:

Sorry, I call BS.

You think it was won with Huey in the pipes? Not a chance.[/quote]

We'll never know, will we?

phranchk

Liked Posts:

Holy shit,

From Kuc:

Goaltender Marty Turco's deal with #Blackhawks is one year for somewhere between $1 million and $1.5 million. Good cap hit for the Hawks.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="bierboy"]

We'll never know, will we?[/quote]

Likely wouldn't have gotten out of the Nashville series with Huet with how poorly the team played early in that round... Niemi was HUGE in that series.

Sorry, I call BS.

You think it was won with Huey in the pipes? Not a chance.[/quote]

you know what happens to players strong arming the hawks. Ask any number of them.

Sorry, once I heard "arbitration" there was a little place that said good bye.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Does letting him walk as UFA benifit or hurt Niemi's chance at 2.75 million? Is there a team willing to sign him for that?

How funny would it be if he signs for less than the 2.2 million the Blackhawks offered?

On the down side this gives multiple western conference contenders a chance to sign Niemi.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Lets say that Turco is stellar this coming season. After that he is more then likely gone

with who next in line? Crawf, Toivonen? Not a chance. So next year we go through this all over again playing for another starting goalie when we have a rookie goalie (who won the CUP) that has the long term potential to be like any of those you are discussing. Instead we are going to be chasing vets at the end of their careers.

Yep, nice moves by our back office and if the rumors of Niemi just becoming an UFA then this is an EPIC failure by the Chicago Blackhawks.