Update On The "Great Moves".

chibears55

Liked Posts:
i really dont understand why all the back n forth over what they have done the last 2 years...
its really simple if you just pay attention to what been talked about on all the sports networks ( TV and radio ) when they discuss what they have been doing over the past 2 yrs and why.

the combination of the ricketts lowering payroll, the minor league system being pretty limited with talent at all levels, and aging veterans nearing end of contracts is why they went the direction they took.

the lowered payroll tied epstein/hoyer hands in signing pricey FAs, and to get payroll down they needed to let go of or trade off their higher salaried players.

the best way to retool their system with quality and quantity is by having high draft picks, trading veterans for prospects, and by signing mid level FAs to 1-2 yr deals and hoping they have a good start to be able to flip them for prospects.

yea you can call it tanking seasons to get a high draft pick, but thats what teams have to do if their intention is to fix the minor league..
it wasnt a secret to what they were doing and all the baseball people talking about it knew what their intentions were and applauded them for taking that step to fix their organization, saying many GMs would like to do that but are afraid to take that chance.

they have also went out and brought in some of the top international talent to load up the system with..

the hard part of all this is to be patience in waiting for the prospects to come up and mature as major league ball players.
yea its going to suck seeing them play below .500 baseball for a couple of years while they go through the process.
instead of pissing and moaning about the bad baseball or some of the bad players, watch how their younger players develop and root for them to succeed not only because their a part of your team but also because the faster they develop and have success the faster the process goes and the parent team starts winning more games.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Which points to having a nice split of home grown players and free agents.... which is what everyone agrees should happen. Let's all just kiss and make up, already.

which is why i cant understand why the 2-3 on here keep blowing up threads with their pissing and moaning as we all agree they need to do both, and unless youve been on another planet or just blinded with hatred towards everything epstein, you can see that they didnt have much going for them on the Home Grown side.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
i really dont understand why all the back n forth over what they have done the last 2 years...
its really simple if you just pay attention to what been talked about on all the sports networks ( TV and radio ) when they discuss what they have been doing over the past 2 yrs and why.

the combination of the ricketts lowering payroll, the minor league system being pretty limited with talent at all levels, and aging veterans nearing end of contracts is why they went the direction they took.

the lowered payroll tied epstein/hoyer hands in signing pricey FAs, and to get payroll down they needed to let go of or trade off their higher salaried players.

the best way to retool their system with quality and quantity is by having high draft picks, trading veterans for prospects, and by signing mid level FAs to 1-2 yr deals and hoping they have a good start to be able to flip them for prospects.

yea you can call it tanking seasons to get a high draft pick, but thats what teams have to do if their intention is to fix the minor league..
it wasnt a secret to what they were doing and all the baseball people talking about it knew what their intentions were and applauded them for taking that step to fix their organization, saying many GMs would like to do that but are afraid to take that chance.

they have also went out and brought in some of the top international talent to load up the system with..

the hard part of all this is to be patience in waiting for the prospects to come up and mature as major league ball players.
yea its going to suck seeing them play below .500 baseball for a couple of years while they go through the process.
instead of pissing and moaning about the bad baseball or some of the bad players, watch how their younger players develop and root for them to succeed not only because their a part of your team but also because the faster they develop and have success the faster the process goes and the parent team starts winning more games.

Yet again, you cant say this. People pay money to watch the Cubs and if they are dissatisfied they have the right to say it. Watching bad baseball is never fun. I bitch about the product on the field because its a joke sometimes. Not even about the talent, its about how they go about losing games. It blows my mind on how little baseball IQ there seems to be on the team. I have the right to voice my displeasure. People know what the Cubs are doing and not all agree. But, you cant bitch about them bitching. Its their right. Just like its your right to agree with what Theo and them are doing.

The Cubs are a big market team. It is time they start acting like it. They took two years and will have a top 3 farm next year. Now, its time to put a quality product on the field while adding depth to the farm. They have their first big wave of prospects, it would be suicide to wait until they came up and produced to buy a FA. You buy the FA now and when the prospects come trickling in over the years. You start to integrate them into the team. If you think in 3 year that the Cubs will be successful with a team full of rookies or 1 year players then I cant help you. Both is absolutely necessary and its how it should be done.

patg006

Liked Posts:
which is why i cant understand why the 2-3 on here keep blowing up threads with their pissing and moaning as we all agree they need to do both, and unless youve been on another planet or just blinded with hatred towards everything epstein, you can see that they didnt have much going for them on the Home Grown side.

Well, its the posters like this who once again, misinterpret the '2-3 on here''s position and opinion of which way the direction the team should go who spout off nonsense when once again, we virtually agree on everything. Josmin, who normally is on block--actually made a great point. We're on the same team, we should do both. I'm ready to chat on the topic, as we have not done properly recently, as we all have erred.

Silence nailed his post on the head.

The only thread "blowing up" is by the jag off who needs 8 paragraphs to do his whining.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Yet again, you cant say this. People pay money to watch the Cubs and if they are dissatisfied they have the right to say it. Watching bad baseball is never fun. I bitch about the product on the field because its a joke sometimes. Not even about the talent, its about how they go about losing games. It blows my mind on how little baseball IQ there seems to be on the team. I have the right to voice my displeasure. People know what the Cubs are doing and not all agree. But, you cant bitch about them bitching. Its their right. Just like its your right to agree with what Theo and them are doing.

im not saying you shouldnt be unhappy or complain about certain things.. these guys take it to the extreme on here where just about 99.9% of all their posts is pissing and moaning about them.. seriously if your that unhappy about the team and what direction their taking, its summer time.. step away from watching and getting aggravated, and spend more time outdoors..i have and im ok with the direction they took..
pissing,moaning, and venting on every thread of a message board isnt going to change anything..

The Cubs are a big market team. It is time they start acting like it. They took two years and will have a top 3 farm next year. Now, its time to put a quality product on the field while adding depth to the farm. They have their first big wave of prospects, it would be suicide to wait until they came up and produced to buy a FA. You buy the FA now and when the prospects come trickling in over the years. You start to integrate them into the team. If you think in 3 year that the Cubs will be successful with a team full of rookies or 1 year players then I cant help you. Both is absolutely necessary and its how it should be done.

i agree they need to spend, but they needed to fix their system before they can spend on long term players..
i dont care for ricketts drastic lowering of payroll, but it is what it is and i think it was done to get the benefit of high draft picks and more money to spend on such a long with the international signings.. agree with it or not, its probably the best and quickest way to get quality and quantity into their system.

do i expect them to start spending this off season and putting more core pieces onto the major league roster? YES
i never said i expect them to have a team full of rookies, nor have i seen anyone else mention that on here..
most of us have agreed that once they know which of their prospects are going to be a part of the parent club going forward, then they can start adding the long term FAs.. that basically what been echoed by many on here all along... i guess most of us understand its a process and realize it will happen when their ready, and a few just arent ready to accept what their doing and want to complain about it all day everyday.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The problem he is bring up is that every thread is the same different argument, we get that some people are on board and that some people are not.

I stated earlier that this off-season should be spent trying to improve the major league team. We are at that point where we could be around .500 with a little bit of retooling IMO (BR SRS has us at a -0.3, and there are several teams with worse ones that are hovering around .500 and are above us in standings, bullpen is just awful, but is usually the easiest part of the team to overhaul except for the unpredictability of relievers from year to year, and our offense has the 4th highest slugging in the league, all while Castro has underachieved and nobody hits with RISP). I'm not expecting the post-season, that's for sure, but I think this team, with some good moves, could be back into the category of not being a laughingstock (with the 103 championships drought ignored). Our Pythagorean Win-Loss is just 5 games under, so it may not be quite as bad as it seems, when the Pyth is 3+ wins over the real record, there are usually some relatively simple fixes. The farm system is already among the best in baseball, Top 3 more likely than not, so we've succeeded in the initial build-up phase of it, just need to continue it now of course.

We are back at the #6 overall pick, and I honestly wouldn't mind holding onto it, since this season is already over, so as you've said, "do both", right?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Well, its the posters like this who once again, misinterpret the '2-3 on here''s position and opinion of which way the direction the team should go who spout off nonsense when once again, we virtually agree on everything. Josmin, who normally is on block--actually made a great point. We're on the same team, we should do both. I'm ready to chat on the topic, as we have not done properly recently, as we all have erred.

Silence nailed his post on the head.

The only thread "blowing up" is by the jag off who needs 8 paragraphs to do his whining.

i guess you consider yourself part of the 2-3 and you would be correct..

you dont care for what i post then block me ASSCLOWN, as i will now have you on Block so i dont have to continue looking at the whiny, crying posts you write or your ass licking post to defend your buddies KB and salami..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The problem he is bring up is that every thread is the same different argument, we get that some people are on board and that some people are not.

exactly.. and you can easily tell who the jerk offs are that constantly piss and moan and have nothing worth while to post, are the ones that are defensive and responds with insults ...

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Texiera, Sabathia, Burnett, ARod, Swisher, Matsui, Damon, Chen Ming-Wang, Gaudin, etc. weren't all home grown.

Yes! And which is what has been said all along, a mix of home grown and free agents. Many of those players obtained were also done because they traded other home grown guys to get them.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Anti-Troll Patrol Patrol is a Troll Patrol.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
If you talking all FA, but the Cubs in 2007 and 2008 weren't built on all FA. So, if your point is the 2007 and 2008 model of the Cubs being all FA then def. the 97 Marlins were built of mostly FA.

2007 and 2008 was a mix, ARAM and DLEE were got by trading prospects. Most everything else besides Z was built by free agency. Which gave us such a small window once DLEE couldn't cut it anymore and we had no one else coming up from the minors for him.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
People sure type a whole lot of nonsense and don't back things up with simple facts here.

People sure type a whole lot of stupidy and ignore the simple little facts that have been provided here.

Simple fact, no one has ever said that the team should be built entirely through FA. Not once. In fact it has been stated simply and clearly multiple times on this very thread that is not the case.

Which team has ever been built on free agency?

ZERO

Some one already mentioned the Marlins in 1997 and the Yankees in 2009.

You can also add the 2001 Diamondbacks with Grace, Bell, Finley, Sanders, Big Unit and Kim signed as FA.

The 2004 Red Sox were built more on FA than from the system. Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon, Mueller, Ortiz, Foulke were all FA signings.

The 2005 White Sox were built largely on FA.

So there are some more teams built largely on FA.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
People sure type a whole lot of stupidy and ignore the simple little facts that have been provided here.

Simple fact, no one has ever said that the team should be built entirely through FA. Not once. In fact it has been stated simply and clearly multiple times on this very thread that is not the case.

You can also add the 2001 Diamondbacks with Grace, Bell, Finley, Sanders, Big Unit and Kim signed as FA.

The 2004 Red Sox were built more on FA than from the system. Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon, Mueller, Ortiz, Foulke were all FA signings.

Not one of those teams were all FA's, none of them, lol, and they were also one and done teams that never came close to sniffing a WS again.

All of them had a pretty good mix of home grown and FA's.

Right now after 2 years the Cubs have about 3 capable of being home grown, Rizzon, Castro, Shark, Wood and Lake. We can't really build off of that yet and also have it be sustainable.

patg006

Liked Posts:
i guess you consider yourself part of the 2-3 and you would be correct..

you dont care for what i post then block me ASSCLOWN, as i will now have you on Block so i dont have to continue looking at the whiny, crying posts you write or your ass licking post to defend your buddies KB and salami..

exactly.. and you can easily tell who the jerk offs are that constantly piss and moan and have nothing worth while to post, are the ones that are defensive and responds with insults ...

I love how I'm the one 'crying and defending my buddy' when now thrice in an hour you've deviated from topic and added zero to the discussion while no spouting out 13 paragraphs of nothing.

But we're the problem. This is simply fascinating rationale....

Denial + Hypocracy = board's new resident wizard with extra chromosome! Beat your chest on this one, tough guy. You took the award from someone nobody though could be outsmarted. You were just a determined little trooper, weren't you?

And I love how I'm an assclown, but the jerkoffs who constantly piss and moan while having nothing worth while to post are the ones that are defensive and respond with insults.

Straight from the horse's ass---errr--mouth

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
What an awesome start to a post. I'm sure you're here looking for genuine conversation.

The 2004 Red Sox were built more on FA than from the system. Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon, Mueller, Ortiz, Foulke were all FA signings

So 97, 04, 05 and 09. Well, I'll even give 01 although I don't see one FA position player there who equates to a Fielder, Hamilton or Pujols in th lineup. Since 1997 that means out of 16 WS winners less than 1/3rd of them appear to be "built largely on FA". It appears teams that don't build themselves "largely on FA" seem to have better odds...unless and/or until further details emerge here.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
In other words, payroll is not a predictor of success.

No one has ever said it was.

But I bet if you go over the last 20 seasons, you will find most of the WS winners and playoff teams in the top 10 of payroll than the bottom 10.

As has already been stated it gives you a greater margin for error. Not spending money on the major league roster and relying mostly on the farm system leaves you no room for error. For it to be successful, you have to hit on a far greater percentage of success than what the law of averages historically shows you can expect from the farm system.

They have 19 out of 24 seasons above .500 since 1990. Pujols and Carpenter weren't even around for half that.

The point was that they won both their World Series with them.

Pujols played for the Cardinals for 11 seasons and they were above .500 for 10 of those 11 seasons. Over half their winnings seasons were with Pujols.

Before Pujols arrived, they did have a bunch of winning seasons but few playoff trips. The same winning seasons and missing the playoffs that people like you have said are dumb and hurt the building of a ball club cause you can't draft high enough.

It's not luck. It's smart development of players(Molina, Wainwright, Miller, Jay..etc), signing "flawed" players and turning them into good players(Penny, Lohse, Pinero...etc), and good trades(Holliday, Rolen, Edmonds, and McGwire). Very rarely do they spend heavily in FA from outside the organization. Since 2006 they have only spent more than $10 mil per year on one FA(Beltran). Holliday was re-signed not bought in as a FA. So simply stated yes, I want the cubs to follow the cards plan.

So you want the Cubs to draft the best hitter of the next generation in the 13th round and find an injured pitcher on the trash heap that turns into one of the top Aces of the last ten years?

Glad to see you have a fool proof plan.

And how is that not luck or the fact they signed 'flawed' players and have a far greater success rate with them than every other team?

Yes they have developed some nice players. Most every team has the last decade. There are plenty of teams who have developed as much talent as the Cardinals have but they didn't luck out on players like Pujols and Carpenter. Had the Cards not won the two WS, far less people would be gushing over them.

Hell take out Pujols and the Brewers have developed probably more talent than the Cards have the last decade or so in Braun, Fielder, Gallardo, Weeks, Hardy, Cory Hart, Ben Sheets, Geoff Jenkins etc.

And to not count Holiday as a FA is inaccurate and pushing an agenda. Yes he was on the Cardinals the year before but he was NOT resigned prior to becoming a free agent. He hit the free agent market as was available to negotiate and sign with any team he wanted to, just like if he had been on another team the prior year. That is 100% a free agent signing.

I don't know where you are getting that I'm against adding players via FA. I'm all for bringing in FA's if they are a value. However, I've been pretty clear that my problem was in 2012 it would have made no difference and as such spending lots of money was a waste. There are any number of other statistics other than WAR(including the 71 win season prior) that will say the same thing but you seem convinced otherwise for reasons that are beyond me.

The problem is that people like you rarely see 'value' in free agents and ignore the fact that you generally have to overpay for free agents.

Because you don't get production equal to every penny spent does that make it a bad thing.

This is not the NFL or NBA or even NHL where there is a salary cap and the production for dollar spent is far more important.

The biggest whining over Soriano is that he didn't produce every dollar he was played which totally ignores that his time with the Cubs was largely productive.

My problem is with the people who say the Cubs only won 71 games last year so it would be dumb to spend any money because there is no chance the Cubs could have made the playoffs the last two years.

That is a complete loser mentality.

To not even try because the task appears to be too hard to complete is a total loser mentality.

You never know what can happen if you try. Look at the Orioles and A's last year. No one would have said they had a chance of making the playoffs before the year began and yet they tried to field a quality team and were rewarded for it.

The Cubs havent even tried to field a quality team the last two years and therefore guaranteed themselves no chance of succeeding.

I would rather see the team try and fail.

You would rather see the team not even try and fail.

Honestly what bugs me is your complete unwillingness to admit anything the cubs have done was good.

Look at the standings and let me know what there is good to point to?

Signing Nate Schierholtz for $2,250,000 was arguably the best FA OF this off season but you don't seem to care. His 14/43/.265 is a significantly better value than B.J. Upton's($13,050,000) 8/20/.177, Josh Hamilton's($17,400,000) 16/51/.224, Angel Pagan's($8,250,000) 3/24/.262, Shane Victorino's($13,000,000) 2/33/.286, Michael Bourne's($7,000,000) 4/33/.284/16 SB, Melky Cabrera's($8,000,000) 3/30/.279, and Nick Swisher's($11,000,000) 11/33/.244. Maholm was one of the best FA SP signings putting up numbers similar to Mark Buehrle at 1/3 his cost. Scott Feldman was in a similar vein. They got Kevin Gregg for nothing and he's put up 22 saves with a 2.98 ERA. Lake is playing well as a replacement for Soriano despite many here lamenting the loss. Rizzo is on pace for something like a 25/85/.240 season as a 23 year old. Wood has a 3.05 ERA as a 27 year old lefty under team control for several seasons. All of these players have improve the major league team and did so at a cheap price

Schierholtz is not a long term solution. That is why I don't get all gushy over it.

He is a platoon 4th OF who has played decently. Not a long term solution.

You seem to think that signing average players for a good price is a better thing than above average players that you might overpay for. You seem to think there is some modifier added onto runs scored or driven in by players who make less money or at the end of the game they divide the number of runs scored by the payroll of the team on the field to determine the winner.

Yes the Braves overspent and arent getting great production from BJ Upton. Yet they are in first place.

Yes the Indians might not be getting the production they thought they would get from Swisher and Bourne, but they are in the midst of the playoff hunt.

The Red Sox aren't getting what they thought from Victorino, yet they are in the playoff hunt.

Answer this question.

What benefit as a fan do you get by the Cubs saving payroll the last couple seasons and losing all these games?

Are you getting a check from the Cubs based on their savings?

Or do you really think that money saved from these last two years will be added onto payroll in the future above what they budget for the year based on expected revenue? Using the money saved the last two years to operate at a loss in an upcoming season?

And even the big trades(Garza Dempster and Soriano) they did make for prospects weren't during the winter meetings. They were done after they had already failed to contend with 2 of the 3 being impending FA and Soriano blocking prospects from seeing playing time. So, if you can't or are unwilling to see that then I'm not sure what else there is to talk about.

The lack of moves in the offseason is what led to the big trades the last few years.

If you can't or are unwilling to see that, then I am not sure what else there is to talk about.

I'll happily talk about some of the legitimately bad moves the cubs have made such as signing Kyuji Fujikawa or trading for Stewart. But most of this crap is complaining they aren't winning fast enough as though it's simple to put together a good team that competes yearly in 2 years.

No one has ever said it would be simple to put together a good team the last two years. Not even once.

People have said it would probably be easy to put together a better team than what the Cubs have fielded the last two years.

People have also said they would have liked to see the Cubs at least try to field a competitive team or even just the appearance of trying to field a quality team instead of knowing already when spring training started that there was very, very, very little chance of even a .500 ball club.

Sorry that asking your team to try and at least be respectable while doing the build of the farm system is such a unreasonable expectation and makes someone a troll.

Guess what?? Probably that would make probably at least 90% of all baseball fans unreasonable and trolls.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
What an awesome start to a post. I'm sure you're here looking for genuine conversation.

Ah yes and yet you apparently had no problems with start to a post???

People sure type a whole lot of nonsense and don't back things up with simple facts here.

Glad to see that you are consistent.

So 97, 04, 05 and 09. Well, I'll even give 01 although I don't see one FA position player there who equates to a Fielder, Hamilton or Pujols in th lineup. Since 1997 that means out of 16 WS winners less than 1/3rd of them appear to be "built largely on FA". It appears teams that don't build themselves "largely on FA" seem to have better odds...unless and/or until further details emerge here.

And yet you seem to still miss the point that not one person has stated that they think the Cubs should be built largely on FA despite the repeated statements, clearly stating that.

Not sure why that is so hard for you to figure out the dozens of times it has now been stated.

Some of us would like to see the attempt at fielding a competitive team while building the farm system. Maybe you will understand it this time.

And I never said that building a team largely on FA gives better odds.

Just pointed out that teams HAVE won a WS built largely on FA to the people who falsely claim it has never happened.

I have said using all available resources, BOTH the farm and FA will give you better odds.

We agree that 5 WS winners have been built largely on FA the last 16 years. You can probably point to a couple teams that won the WS largely based on the core they developed from their system.

That would leave about half the teams winning doing a mixture of FA and player development. That complicated little BOTH thing you seem to have trouble understanding.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Ah yes and yet you apparently had no problems with start to a post???

Glad to see that you are consistent.
Well, since your quote comes from a different poster, I wouldn't expect to be consistent with that poster.

And yet you seem to still miss the point that not one person has stated that they think the Cubs should be built largely on FA despite the repeated statements, clearly stating that.

Not sure why that is so hard for you to figure out the dozens of times it has now been stated.
Strawman. A big one at that. Pat yourself on the back. You one an argument you created to which I wasn't responding.

Some of us would like to see the attempt at fielding a competitive team while building the farm system. Maybe you will understand it this time.
Some of us feel that same way. Some of us don't care for your BS.

And I never said that building a team largely on FA gives better odds.

Just pointed out that teams HAVE won a WS built largely on FA to the people who falsely claim it has never happened.
Well, Captain Defensive, you are the one constantly bringing up FA signings and spending money on them. If you're going to go out of your way to point which teams were built "largely on FA" it's equally justified to point out in the context of the conversation how often or how little those teams actually win the WS.

I have said using all available resources, BOTH the farm and FA will give you better odds
Wow. This is earth-shattering news. No one here has thought of that or supports that.

We agree that 5 WS winners have been built largely on FA the last 16 years. You can probably point to a couple teams that won the WS largely based on the core they developed from their system.

That would leave about half the teams winning doing a mixture of FA and player development.
Um. no. That would indicate the rest rely on a mixture. Not a few, not half. The rest. Not one team has won the WS in that time with just home grown talent.

That complicated little BOTH thing you seem to have trouble understanding.
Look, Ma. Another strawman! You're such a peach.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Well, since your quote comes from a different poster, I wouldn't expect to be consistent with that poster.

Never said you should be consistent with another poster.

Said you should be consistent in your whining as you ignored almost the exact same thing said by another poster yet throw your sippy cup when I say it.

Some of us feel that same way. Some of us don't care for your BS.

And yet when some of us say the thing you claim you feel, you are here arguing against it.

Well, Captain Defensive, you are the one constantly bringing up FA signings and spending money on them. If you're going to go out of your way to point which teams were built "largely on FA" it's equally justified to point out in the context of the conversation how often or how little those teams actually win the WS.

Those teams were brought up in response to the point that ZERO teams have been successful using FA.

Keep up with the conversation.

Wow. This is earth-shattering news. No one here has thought of that or supports that.

Never said no one here doesn't support that.

Just that most don't.

Um. no. That would indicate the rest rely on a mixture. Not a few, not half. The rest. Not one team has won the WS in that time with just home grown talent.

What part of the phrase "You can probably point to a couple teams that won the WS largely based on the core they developed from their system" equals not one team has won the WS in that time with just home grown talent??