1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
As did Ryan Dempster himself.

So did Jed Hoyer.

So did Theo Epstein.

But continue to ignore those facts.
Bill Clinton is likely your hero, because all you are doing is arguing what the definition of "is" is. Dempster's action or in this case non-action stopped the trade from going through. He essentially vetoed it.

You know who also said it had nothing to do with Atlanta??

Ryan Dempster himself and Jed Hoyer.

Continue to ignore those facts.
What facts would those be? That Atlanta was so high on his list that he chose not to go there?

No one has disputed he wanted to go to LA. But because he wanted to go to LA first doesn't mean that he wouldn't have gone to Atlanta either.
Interesting analysis you have going on there. That very scenario presented itself and it turned out that he didn't go to Atlanta. I have no doubt you will "continue to ignore that fact."

Sorry that your little brain can only process one thing.
Ah, yes. The good ol' personal attack. Let's have some fairness here, Mods!! :lol:

That something else has to do with the fact he was blindsided by the deal being completed and the media bombarding him with questions before he had a chance to process it.
How can someone be blindsided by a potential deal that someone was made very aware of for days prior to premature media reports? This isn't about the media. This is about Dempster being so bent on going to LA that it took Epstein/Hoyer sitting him in their office watching them work before he realized that LA wasn't going to happen.

Theo can't really speak for how Dempster should feel either.
Sure he can. He has firsthand knowledge to the situation and is on record of how they kept Dempster in the loop for 2-3 days prior. Straight from Websters-
blind·side
transitive verb \ˈblīn(d)-ˌsīd\

Definition of BLINDSIDE

1: to hit unexpectedly from or as if from the blind side <blindside the quarterback>
2: to surprise unpleasantly

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blindside
Now, since it's a FACT that Dempster knew days before the trade in the media, the word doesn't really fit here.

If you do a Google search for 'Ryan Dempster blindsided by trade' you will probably come up with a dozen or so stories that reported that Dempster felt blindsided by the media.
Awesome. Media <> Epstein/Hoyer. It doesn't change that he's the one who held up the trade because he wanted to go to LA and not Atlanta. Dempster's denial of events as they were unfolding does not equal "blindsiding".

How convenient that you left the previous paragraph out from your quote where Epstein said that Dempster really didn't have the time to contemplate the deal before the media bombarded him.
I didn't leave out anything. I quoted what was necessary and nothing more. I don't wish to violate US copyright law when it isn't necessary to the subject at hand.

So out of one side of the mouth comes that Dempster didn't have any time to contemplate the deal and out of the other side of the mouth comes that he wasn't blindsided. Two statements that pretty much contradict themselves completely.
What he said was that he didn't have much time to contemplate the completed deal. That's a lot different than having days to contemplate a deal that is still in the works. The two statements don't contradict each other at all.

Kinda like how he said the rebuilding would take time but that the goal is to win the World Series every season and how precious every season was.
Tired schtick.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Bill Clinton is likely your hero, because all you are doing is arguing what the definition of "is" is.

And Obama must be your hero.

You talk a lot, point the blame at everyone but yourself, ignore requests to provide actual information to support your claims and in the end provide nothing of substance.

Like I said about one of your fellow trolls...

I am fully aware theire is a possibility that someday you might actually post something accurate and intelligent, but if it were ever to happen I would be absolutely blindsided by it.

Where does that fit into your little definition of the word?

Because something is possible doesn't mean it still cant be unexpected when it happens.

I didn't leave out anything. I quoted what was necessary and nothing more. I don't wish to violate US copyright law when it isn't necessary to the subject at hand.

You are a joke.

You didn't quote what was necessary according to your agenda and left everything out. Pretty obvious.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And Obama must be your hero.

You talk a lot, point the blame at everyone but yourself, ignore requests to provide actual information to support your claims and in the end provide nothing of substance.

Like I said about one of your fellow trolls...

I am fully aware theire is a possibility that someday you might actually post something accurate and intelligent, but if it were ever to happen I would be absolutely blindsided by it.

Where does that fit into your little definition of the word?

Because something is possible doesn't mean it still cant be unexpected when it happens.

You are a joke.

You didn't quote what was necessary according to your agenda and left everything out. Pretty obvious.

Your post = 0% baseball

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Neither Baltimore or Oakland has the resources to spend consistently on expensive FAs, so it is ridiculous to compare them to the Cubs. The use of Baltimore and Oakland were not a comparison of how they were built, but how WAR was broken. Yet instead of just saying yes, your examples do show how WAR is not as accurate as most people think it was, you straw manned it into a complete different topic.

I don't get why you're still trying to argue about WAR. I've repeatedly stated it isn't 100% accurate. The fact of the matter is comparing how players would fair on different teams will never be an exact science. You can't account for every variable. But the entire point of this is that just saying a team would be better by adding x, y and z players is opinion not fact. WAR attempts to remove opinion bias by using a bunch of stats including defense rather than just HR/RBI/AVG. So, if you have a better metric than WAR feel free to point it out but just panning metrics and using your gut because it's not 100% accurate is ridiculous. If you have issue with a specific instance than fine bring it up. For example, I have no problem with people bringing up the high WAR barney had with crappy offensive stats last year. That's questionable how much his defense helped the team vs his poor offense. But more often than not players have more balanced offense/defense. At that point it's as good if not better than comparing HR/RBI/AVG.

Your assertion that the cubs should build like Yankees, Boston, Philadelphia and the LA teams yes? They should be in the $125 mil + payroll range? The white sox sit at $124,065,277 and have 40 wins. San Francisco sits at $142,180,333 49 wins. The yanks have $228,995,945 in payroll sit at 56 wins and are 8.5 back in the division. The angles currently have 50 wins and $142,165,250 payroll. Philly has 50 wins too and $159,578,214 in payroll. Other high payroll teams include Toronto(50 wins $118,244,039 payroll), Washington(53 wins $112,431,770 payroll), Cubs(49 wins $104,150,726 payroll). That accounts for 8 of the top 15 payrolls who probably aren't in playoff contention.

In the bottom half of payrolls Arizona(56 wins $90,158,500) 3.5 back in division, Atlanta(65 wins $89,288,193), Baltimore(61 wins $91,793,333) 4.5 back, Cleveland(60 wins $82,517,300), Tampa(64 wins $57,030,272), Oakland(63 wins $68,577,000), Pittsburgh(65 wins $66,289,524). So, there's as many teams in the bottom half of the league in payroll as their are in the top half. So my question is why is how Oakland and Baltimore build off limits? Clearly paying to win doesn't work out as well as you're suggesting. At best its a 50/50 proposition. What you're suggesting is how Theo ran the Red Sox and ended up with Crawford and that team that basically lead to him being removed.

If you're going to model after any team it should be the Cardinals. They contend every year. They almost never go crazy in FA but instead try to find quality bargains. For example, they let Fielder and Pujols go and instead signed Beltran relatively cheaply at $13 million a season instead of the 20-25 Pujols and Fielder got. And most importantly, they typically have a strong farm system. It is a sustainable system because they have the talent in their farm system and because they rarely get stuck in bad contract hell like a lot of the teams mentioned previously. They are neither too invested in prospects nor are they heavily invested in older talent. They are the happy medium.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If you're going to model after any team it should be the Cardinals. They contend every year. They almost never go crazy in FA but instead try to find quality bargains. For example, they let Fielder and Pujols go and instead signed Beltran relatively cheaply at $13 million a season instead of the 20-25 Pujols and Fielder got. And most importantly, they typically have a strong farm system. It is a sustainable system because they have the talent in their farm system and because they rarely get stuck in bad contract hell like a lot of the teams mentioned previously. They are neither too invested in prospects nor are they heavily invested in older talent. They are the happy medium.

you could probably say the same about the braves too...
they have a good flow of prospects that they bring up or use in deals, and they are also able to go out and sign one or two FAs that fits their needs..

i was watching chicagosportstalk and they were talking about how for the first time, the cubs are starting to get good players depth at each position through out the organization.. having depth from A ball on up, will allow them to keep the best player they need and also allow them to use players in deals to get back a quality major leaguer iin return.. that is what the cubs has been lacking for quite a while, and why they needed to spend the last couple of years fixing their system before they went on a spending spree..

i know some will spout off that they could do both, but in reality you really cant...
if your system is poor , the best way to retool it is through the draft and by trades for other teams prospects..
unfortunately, the trade off for doing it like that is by going thru a couple of crappy seasons in order to get a top draft pick and you have to sign average players to 1-2 yr deals and hope they have a good first couple of months so you can flip them in deals.

we have heard a lot of current and former GMs,managers,baseball people applaud epstein for taking the route he is taking to fix this team and has said many GMs would like to be able to do what he doing but dont have the guts to do it..

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I don't get why you're still trying to argue about WAR. I've repeatedly stated it isn't 100% accurate.

Because you continue to insist on using it to 'prove' if the Cubs had spent money how they still wouldn't have made the playoffs.

The fact remains is that the Cubs could have spent money on better players the last two seasons attempting to have a successful major league team (how awful that would be) without significantly impacting the attempt of building a strong farm system.

The still would have had Javier Baez, they still could have signed Jorge Soler, they still could have drafted Albert Almora, they still could have signed their international signings this offseason. Maybe they wouldn't have gotten Pierce Johnson or Kris Bryant, but to have lost out on Johnson it would have taken a significant FA signing like Prince Fielder and if you have Fielder you don't need to trade Cashner. So that becomes an option of Fielder and Cashner vs Rizzo and Johnson. Odds are overwhelming that Fielder and Cashner will end up the more productive duo over the next 8 or so seasons. If you don't get Bryant that means that you actually had a decent to good major league season. Oh the horror of that and guess what?? You still get to draft in the first round. There have been plenty of great major league players drafted in the middle to late of the first round.

Your assertion that the cubs should build like Yankees, Boston, Philadelphia and the LA teams yes? They should be in the $125 mil + payroll range?

Yep. They have the resources to spend the maximum for the draft and international market and still field a payroll of $140-150 million.

No one has said that the Cubs shouldn't spend the maximum on the system. Not one person.

The white sox sit at $124,065,277 and have 40 wins. San Francisco sits at $142,180,333 49 wins.

The Giants have also won the World Series 2 of the last 3 seasons.

But by your cherry picking of them this season, I guess we shouldn't try to duplicate what they have done right?

Yes the White Sox are in a tough spot this season, but I bet they have a winning season again before the Cubs do, cause the Sox will do that silly little both thing. Try to build their system while trying to field a competitive major league team.

The yanks have $228,995,945 in payroll sit at 56 wins and are 8.5 back in the division.

And the Yankees have been to the playoffs 17 out of the last 18 seasons.

Easy to cherry pick this season when most of their top players have been hurt.

The angles currently have 50 wins and $142,165,250 payroll. Philly has 50 wins too and $159,578,214 in payroll. Other high payroll teams include Toronto(50 wins $118,244,039 payroll), Washington(53 wins $112,431,770 payroll), Cubs(49 wins $104,150,726 payroll). That accounts for 8 of the top 15 payrolls who probably aren't in playoff contention.

And most people were picking Toronto and Washington to be in the WS this year. There isn't one reasonable fan around who wouldn't have traded places with either one of those teams in Spring Training. Revisionist history.

Also in the spring all the slurpers were pointing to the Nationals as they way to build a team. Now after 3/4 of an unsuccessful season they are now the poster child for how to not build a team?? Convenient.

In the bottom half of payrolls Arizona(56 wins $90,158,500) 3.5 back in division, Atlanta(65 wins $89,288,193), Baltimore(61 wins $91,793,333) 4.5 back, Cleveland(60 wins $82,517,300), Tampa(64 wins $57,030,272), Oakland(63 wins $68,577,000), Pittsburgh(65 wins $66,289,524). So, there's as many teams in the bottom half of the league in payroll as their are in the top half.

So we are now using Pittsburgh as an example of how to run a franchise? Really??

The Pirates who havent had a winning season since 1992??? That is how you want this franchise run??

Arizona is going to come up short and miss the playoffs finishing probably about .500. You know they same kind of results you and the prospect worshippers say is a worthless result and a position that is impossible to build long term success from.

Atlanta is convenient to use again this year now that they are in first place. Facts show that over the last 8 seasons the Cubs have been more successful than the Braves. Braves have two Wild Card berths while the Cubs have two Division Titles. Yes Division Titles matter.

We will see with Cleveland.

Tampa has better people running their plan and don't have the resources to run it any other way. You don't think the Front Office there wishes they could go out and add some quality, high dollar free agents?? If you say yes, you are completely delusional.

We will get to Oakland and Baltimore in a moment.

So my question is why is how Oakland and Baltimore build off limits? Clearly paying to win doesn't work out as well as you're suggesting. At best its a 50/50 proposition. What you're suggesting is how Theo ran the Red Sox and ended up with Crawford and that team that basically lead to him being removed.

Oakland and Baltimore's build's are not off limits.

They are just being run by smarter and better people.

Billy Beane and Dan Duquette are better GM's and team builders than Epstein and Hoyer.

Beane might be the best GM in the history of baseball despite not winning a WS yet.

Duquette has now had success at two different franchises.

Epstein hasn't had success anywhere that Duquette didn't hand him a loaded toy box.

Epstein also got run out of town because Kevin Youkilis got old and injury prone and the system didn't develop anyone to take over for him. Because Lester went from one of the top young pitchers in the league to an average starter that the system didn't develop a replacement for. Because Buchholz hasn't been healthy or consistent enough. Same with Ellsbury.

The down turn of the Red Sox the last couple years can be pointed as much to the failure of the home grown players at the major league level and the absence of quality players in the minors to step in.

How did the Red Sox turn themselves around this year? Yes some of the home grown players have rebounded like Ellsbury, but they also went out and spent money to bring in Napoli, Victorino, Drew and Dempster and benefitted from a rebound season from John Lackey.

Yes trying to do the both this might be a 50/50 proposition, but building a core of a long term successful team only using the farm system is likely a 1/50 proposition.

If you're going to model after any team it should be the Cardinals. They contend every year.

Yes the Cardinals have been consistently successful but they have also had some unbelievable luck in the drafting of Albert Pujols and the FA signing of Chris Carpenter. Probably the two biggest contributors to the 2 World Series the Cards have won recently.

So I guess you are saying the Cubs should base their rebuilding plan on drafting the best hitter of our generation in the 13th round and picking up a starter off the scrap heap who had serious arm problems who turned it around into being one of the top Aces of the last decade??

Yeah, that is a reasonable plan.

They almost never go crazy in FA but instead try to find quality bargains.

They also don't have the resources that the Cubs have.

They also spend more in the FA market than people want to admit.

They spent heavily on Matt Holiday

For example, they let Fielder and Pujols go and instead signed Beltran relatively cheaply at $13 million a season instead of the 20-25 Pujols and Fielder got.

And you and most other Cub fans would have shit all overthemselves had the Cubs spent $13 million a season on Carlos Beltran at the age of 35.

But it has worked out well so you can now point your revisionist history finger at it as a great move.

And most importantly, they typically have a strong farm system.

Not always.

A couple years ago when they won the WS they had one of the 5 worst systems as ranked by Baseball America.

It is a sustainable system because they have the talent in their farm system and because they rarely get stuck in bad contract hell like a lot of the teams mentioned previously. They are neither too invested in prospects nor are they heavily invested in older talent. They are the happy medium.

It is a sustainable system because they make every effort to field a quality major league team so they don't have to rely on a heavy influx from the farm system like the Cubs are currently.

The Cards find quality major league players so they only need to find one or two players every few years to plug into their lineup, not develop the entire core at the same time like the current plan is for the Cubs.

No matter how much you wish to believe it, the so called 'bad contract hell' doesn't significantly impact the development of the farm system. You can only spend about $15 million a season on the draft and international signings and until the Cubs get into the $160M payroll range, there shouldn't be any impact on the spending they can do at the minor league level.

That happy medium you suggest is the thing called doing BOTH that you so consistently argue against doing.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
you could probably say the same about the braves too...
they have a good flow of prospects that they bring up or use in deals, and they are also able to go out and sign one or two FAs that fits their needs..

And the Cubs have had more success the last 8 seasons than the Braves have.

2 Division Titles for the Cubs and 2 Wild Card berths for the Braves.

Yes the Braves had a great run in the 90's and mid 2000's.

But it is a run that would not have been sustained without significant FA signings.

And it also took the Braves decades to develop the core of the team that they had in the 90's. The Braves were bottom feeders for most of the 60's, 70's and 80's. People choose to forget that.

i was watching chicagosportstalk and they were talking about how for the first time, the cubs are starting to get good players depth at each position through out the organization.. having depth from A ball on up, will allow them to keep the best player they need and also allow them to use players in deals to get back a quality major leaguer iin return.. that is what the cubs has been lacking for quite a while, and why they needed to spend the last couple of years fixing their system before they went on a spending spree..

Complete revisionist history bullshit.

In the early 2000's the Cubs had a much more highly regarded farm system than they do right now. They had one of the highest ranked farm systems in all of baseball. Only hindsight can look back and say that the farm system was substandard.

The only reason the current farm system is considered superior is that none of them have failed yet. Some, if not most, of them will.

i know some will spout off that they could do both, but in reality you really cant...
if your system is poor , the best way to retool it is through the draft and by trades for other teams prospects..

Yes you can.

If you start the cycle of trading major league players for minor league players you need to have a majority of those prospects turn into at least average major league players. That just doesn't happen. For every trade you can name where one player was traded for a couple prospects that turned into quality major league players you can probably name 20 trades that the team trading the major league players ended up with very little in return.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Because you continue to insist on using it to 'prove' if the Cubs had spent money how they still wouldn't have made the playoffs.

The fact remains is that the Cubs could have spent money on better players the last two seasons attempting to have a successful major league team (how awful that would be) without significantly impacting the attempt of building a strong farm system.

The still would have had Javier Baez, they still could have signed Jorge Soler, they still could have drafted Albert Almora, they still could have signed their international signings this offseason. Maybe they wouldn't have gotten Pierce Johnson or Kris Bryant, but to have lost out on Johnson it would have taken a significant FA signing like Prince Fielder and if you have Fielder you don't need to trade Cashner. So that becomes an option of Fielder and Cashner vs Rizzo and Johnson. Odds are overwhelming that Fielder and Cashner will end up the more productive duo over the next 8 or so seasons. If you don't get Bryant that means that you actually had a decent to good major league season. Oh the horror of that and guess what?? You still get to draft in the first round. There have been plenty of great major league players drafted in the middle to late of the first round.

Yep. They have the resources to spend the maximum for the draft and international market and still field a payroll of $140-150 million.

No one has said that the Cubs shouldn't spend the maximum on the system. Not one person.

The Giants have also won the World Series 2 of the last 3 seasons.

But by your cherry picking of them this season, I guess we shouldn't try to duplicate what they have done right?

Yes the White Sox are in a tough spot this season, but I bet they have a winning season again before the Cubs do, cause the Sox will do that silly little both thing. Try to build their system while trying to field a competitive major league team.

And the Yankees have been to the playoffs 17 out of the last 18 seasons.

Easy to cherry pick this season when most of their top players have been hurt.

And most people were picking Toronto and Washington to be in the WS this year. There isn't one reasonable fan around who wouldn't have traded places with either one of those teams in Spring Training. Revisionist history.

Also in the spring all the slurpers were pointing to the Nationals as they way to build a team. Now after 3/4 of an unsuccessful season they are now the poster child for how to not build a team?? Convenient.

So we are now using Pittsburgh as an example of how to run a franchise? Really??

The Pirates who havent had a winning season since 1992??? That is how you want this franchise run??

Arizona is going to come up short and miss the playoffs finishing probably about .500. You know they same kind of results you and the prospect worshippers say is a worthless result and a position that is impossible to build long term success from.

Atlanta is convenient to use again this year now that they are in first place. Facts show that over the last 8 seasons the Cubs have been more successful than the Braves. Braves have two Wild Card berths while the Cubs have two Division Titles. Yes Division Titles matter.

We will see with Cleveland.

Tampa has better people running their plan and don't have the resources to run it any other way. You don't think the Front Office there wishes they could go out and add some quality, high dollar free agents?? If you say yes, you are completely delusional.

We will get to Oakland and Baltimore in a moment.

Oakland and Baltimore's build's are not off limits.

They are just being run by smarter and better people.

Billy Beane and Dan Duquette are better GM's and team builders than Epstein and Hoyer.

Beane might be the best GM in the history of baseball despite not winning a WS yet.

Duquette has now had success at two different franchises.

Epstein hasn't had success anywhere that Duquette didn't hand him a loaded toy box.

Epstein also got run out of town because Kevin Youkilis got old and injury prone and the system didn't develop anyone to take over for him. Because Lester went from one of the top young pitchers in the league to an average starter that the system didn't develop a replacement for. Because Buchholz hasn't been healthy or consistent enough. Same with Ellsbury.

The down turn of the Red Sox the last couple years can be pointed as much to the failure of the home grown players at the major league level and the absence of quality players in the minors to step in.

How did the Red Sox turn themselves around this year? Yes some of the home grown players have rebounded like Ellsbury, but they also went out and spent money to bring in Napoli, Victorino, Drew and Dempster and benefitted from a rebound season from John Lackey.

Yes trying to do the both this might be a 50/50 proposition, but building a core of a long term successful team only using the farm system is likely a 1/50 proposition.

Yes the Cardinals have been consistently successful but they have also had some unbelievable luck in the drafting of Albert Pujols and the FA signing of Chris Carpenter. Probably the two biggest contributors to the 2 World Series the Cards have won recently.

So I guess you are saying the Cubs should base their rebuilding plan on drafting the best hitter of our generation in the 13th round and picking up a starter off the scrap heap who had serious arm problems who turned it around into being one of the top Aces of the last decade??

Yeah, that is a reasonable plan.

They also don't have the resources that the Cubs have.

They also spend more in the FA market than people want to admit.

They spent heavily on Matt Holiday

And you and most other Cub fans would have shit all overthemselves had the Cubs spent $13 million a season on Carlos Beltran at the age of 35.

But it has worked out well so you can now point your revisionist history finger at it as a great move.

Not always.

A couple years ago when they won the WS they had one of the 5 worst systems as ranked by Baseball America.

It is a sustainable system because they make every effort to field a quality major league team so they don't have to rely on a heavy influx from the farm system like the Cubs are currently.

The Cards find quality major league players so they only need to find one or two players every few years to plug into their lineup, not develop the entire core at the same time like the current plan is for the Cubs.

No matter how much you wish to believe it, the so called 'bad contract hell' doesn't significantly impact the development of the farm system. You can only spend about $15 million a season on the draft and international signings and until the Cubs get into the $160M payroll range, there shouldn't be any impact on the spending they can do at the minor league level.

That happy medium you suggest is the thing called doing BOTH that you so consistently argue against doing.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but looking back it's still a bit fuzzy.

Motor Boating

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
People sure type a whole lot of nonsense and don't back things up with simple facts here.

Which team has ever been built on free agency?

ZERO

This is where the CUBS are now, they won't do that and can't do that. They can't plug people in, because there is no one good on the MLB team to play with Pujols, Fielder, Darvish, (insert star name here).

They had to blow it up because we tried the method of signing people to win it, and got swept twice.

Stop denying reality, it can't be done. we had to blow it up and build from the bottom up. Empirical evidence and numbers show that middling through doesn't work and never has.

patg006

Liked Posts:
People sure type a whole lot of nonsense and don't back things up with simple facts here.

ZERO

This is where the CUBS are now, they won't do that and can't do that. They can't plug people in, because there is no one good on the MLB team to play with Pujols, Fielder, Darvish, (insert star name here).

They had to blow it up because we tried the method of signing people to win it, and got swept twice.

Stop denying reality, it can't be done. we had to blow it up and build from the bottom up. Empirical evidence and numbers show that middling through doesn't work and never has.

2009 New York Yankees. You asked for one.

Thanks for playing!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Giants have also won the World Series 2 of the last 3 seasons. But by your cherry picking of them this season, I guess we shouldn't try to duplicate what they have done right?

How exactly is it cherry picking? The point wasn't specifically about the Giants. It's about the fact that half of the top 15 spending teams are out of playoff contention and half of the bottom spending teams are in contention. The teams are irrelevant because generally year to year half the top spending clubs aren't in the playoff and generally a fair amount of smaller market teams are in contention. In other words, payroll is not a predictor of success.

They have 19 out of 24 seasons above .500 since 1990. Pujols and Carpenter weren't even around for half that. It's not luck. It's smart development of players(Molina, Wainwright, Miller, Jay..etc), signing "flawed" players and turning them into good players(Penny, Lohse, Pinero...etc), and good trades(Holliday, Rolen, Edmonds, and McGwire). Very rarely do they spend heavily in FA from outside the organization. Since 2006 they have only spent more than $10 mil per year on one FA(Beltran). Holliday was re-signed not bought in as a FA. So simply stated yes, I want the cubs to follow the cards plan.

Yes trying to do the both this might be a 50/50 proposition, but building a core of a long term successful team only using the farm system is likely a 1/50 proposition. That happy medium you suggest is the thing called doing BOTH that you so consistently argue against doing.

I don't know where you are getting that I'm against adding players via FA. I'm all for bringing in FA's if they are a value. However, I've been pretty clear that my problem was in 2012 it would have made no difference and as such spending lots of money was a waste. There are any number of other statistics other than WAR(including the 71 win season prior) that will say the same thing but you seem convinced otherwise for reasons that are beyond me.

Honestly what bugs me is your complete unwillingness to admit anything the cubs have done was good. Signing Nate Schierholtz for $2,250,000 was arguably the best FA OF this off season but you don't seem to care. His 14/43/.265 is a significantly better value than B.J. Upton's($13,050,000) 8/20/.177, Josh Hamilton's($17,400,000) 16/51/.224, Angel Pagan's($8,250,000) 3/24/.262, Shane Victorino's($13,000,000) 2/33/.286, Michael Bourne's($7,000,000) 4/33/.284/16 SB, Melky Cabrera's($8,000,000) 3/30/.279, and Nick Swisher's($11,000,000) 11/33/.244. Maholm was one of the best FA SP signings putting up numbers similar to Mark Buehrle at 1/3 his cost. Scott Feldman was in a similar vein. They got Kevin Gregg for nothing and he's put up 22 saves with a 2.98 ERA. Lake is playing well as a replacement for Soriano despite many here lamenting the loss. Rizzo is on pace for something like a 25/85/.240 season as a 23 year old. Wood has a 3.05 ERA as a 27 year old lefty under team control for several seasons. All of these players have improve the major league team and did so at a cheap price.

And even the big trades(Garza Dempster and Soriano) they did make for prospects weren't during the winter meetings. They were done after they had already failed to contend with 2 of the 3 being impending FA and Soriano blocking prospects from seeing playing time. So, if you can't or are unwilling to see that then I'm not sure what else there is to talk about. I'll happily talk about some of the legitimately bad moves the cubs have made such as signing Kyuji Fujikawa or trading for Stewart. But most of this crap is complaining they aren't winning fast enough as though it's simple to put together a good team that competes yearly in 2 years.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
But most of this crap is complaining they aren't winning fast enough as though it's simple to put together a good team that competes yearly in 2 years.

most of the crap of complaining is because that his agenda with his 2 other buddies is to piss and moan about everything cubs..

the only reason their on this site is to disrupt and blow up threads ..probably the reason he got kicked off the other sites, cause they got tired of his ass..

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
2009 New York Yankees. You asked for one.

Thanks for playing!

Thats not even accurate, Cano, Posada, Jeter, Pettite, Rivera, Hughes, etc were all home grown, and since the early 200's it took them about 8 years to find the right combo of free agents to fill in.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Thats not even accurate, Cano, Posada, Jeter, Pettite, Rivera, Hughes, etc were all home grown, and since the early 200's it took them about 8 years to find the right combo of free agents to fill in.
Technically speaking, in 2009 Pettite would have been a FA signing as he had a stint in Houston prior to that. But I get your point. What about the 1997 and/or 2003 Marlins?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

ZERO

That's not true. Im not taking sides. Your post is just simply not true still.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

ZERO

If you talking all FA, but the Cubs in 2007 and 2008 weren't built on all FA. So, if your point is the 2007 and 2008 model of the Cubs being all FA then def. the 97 Marlins were built of mostly FA.

patg006

Liked Posts:

Texiera, Sabathia, Burnett, ARod, Swisher, Matsui, Damon, Chen Ming-Wang, Gaudin, etc. weren't all home grown.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If you talking all FA, but the Cubs in 2007 and 2008 weren't built on all FA. So, if your point is the 2007 and 2008 model of the Cubs being all FA then def. the 97 Marlins were built of mostly FA.

And we all know what happened in '98. I think the better question would be this -- which Marlins fire sale has been the most ridiculous? I'm still giving the nod to last year's. I mean, the fact that they dumped all that money on guys and didn't even ride out the season! Loria was so desperate to get a new stadium and put as little of his own money into it as possible (the Marlins only fronted 19% of the $634 million) that he completely shammed the entire fan base. I still say he's the worst owner in all of sports -- and Donald Sterling and James Dolan still own teams.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Texiera, Sabathia, Burnett, ARod, Swisher, Matsui, Damon, Chen Ming-Wang, Gaudin, etc. weren't all home grown.

Which points to having a nice split of home grown players and free agents.... which is what everyone agrees should happen. Let's all just kiss and make up, already.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And we all know what happened in '98. I think the better question would be this -- which Marlins fire sale has been the most ridiculous? I'm still giving the nod to last year's. I mean, the fact that they dumped all that money on guys and didn't even ride out the season! Loria was so desperate to get a new stadium and put as little of his own money into it as possible (the Marlins only fronted 19% of the $634 million) that he completely shammed the entire fan base. I still say he's the worst owner in all of sports -- and Donald Sterling and James Dolan still own teams.

Last year was a dick move and shows he has no interest in winning or putting any money towards his product. 98 was bad because that 97 team was stacked.

Also, looking at it again. That was a really high scoring World Series against the Indians. Only the last 2 games were moderate scoring.