Very Telling interview - Team has turned on "Franchise" (Again)

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears are serious about Kevin White's development during 2016, and they should be, I think Cutler is TERRIBLE for that process. A bitchy, passive-aggressive snit with accuracy issues is no mentor for a young WR. Cutler has probably made up his mind already about White, too. I'd much rather have Hoyer as my QB if I am Kevin White.
This is a point I was trying to make yesterday. Since the pick against the Texans, Cutler has pretty much ignored White, because he's a petulant brat. He's the last thing young players need leading them. Hardly a coincidence that White started to get involved after Cutler went out.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'll
Stay just to annoy you

I dont blame you for not seeing Jays shortcomings.
You are a starry-eyed beta for him, and You cannot bring yourself to acknowledge his flaws.

It is like a trailer park couple- the husband drinks and slaps the wife around, but she talks herself in to thinking she is to blame, and that her hubby is just helping her.

Desp when Jay takes the field....
giphy.gif

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
There is a reason Brian Hoyer is on his 7th team.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I still can't comprehend this notion that Hoyer's 'suckage' somehow forced the Bears coaching staff to put together a coherent gameplan, as if being a coach for a Jay Cutler team is a piece of cake and you can just call any play and Cutler will make it work through sheer talent. I thought Jay Cutler was the guy who ended coaches' careers.

That informed writer should offer his resignation immediately.

I'm just glad that it took being forced to play a backup QB in order for the OC to coach smarter....would have hated for him to continue coaching dumb throughout the season

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I may have missed it but did Cutler show up on the injury report after week 1?

I dont blame you for not seeing Jays shortcomings.
You are a starry-eyed beta for him, and You cannot bring yourself to acknowledge his flaws.

It is like a trailer park couple- the husband drinks and slaps the wife around, but she talks herself in to thinking she is to blame, and that her hubby is just helping her.

Desp when Jay takes the field....
giphy.gif
[video=youtube;UVNHcob3oJg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNHcob3oJg[/video]

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There is a reason Brian Hoyer is on his 7th team.

And he will probably be on his 8th next year...no one is claiming Hoyer is the answer. Just saying the Bears may be better off gutting the season with him as the starter and start fresh next year than to keep trotting out Cutler and starting fresh next yer

billwade

Liked Posts:
You win with the total package. If Hoyer is unable to attack 20 yards plus down the field, defenses will start taking away the underneath routes. Hoyer is very efficient and accurate with the short game. Loggains will need to mix in more misdirection; boots, roll outs for him to have success.

Gase was successful at getting Cutler to take what the defense was giving him. The problem is with Cutler there is a small margin for error. He doesn't get the ball out quickly and has a difficult time seeing what the defense is doing pre-snap.

The Bears brought in Jeffery and White specifically to compensate for jay's inaccurate deep throws. Assuming they are healthy, they both should be able to help Hoyer as well.

And you are right about jay in terms of holding the ball too long and his inability to work through pre snap reads. I would also add that he doesn't see the field well as the play develops either. There have been many reports that he doesn't put a lot of time into preparation, and Marshall almost said as much in 2014. In any event, Hoyer is clearly the better option going forward. No messy transition when the Bears draft a new QB, Hoyer knows he's not considered a long term solution.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Here's an interesting set of facts.

Over the last 4 seasons (2016 inclusive) Jay Cutler's stats are:
933 completions, 1445 attempts, 10465 yards, 69 TD's and 43 Int's = 88.9 rating, 16 wins, 27 losses

Players who've played for the Bears not named Jay are:
265 completions, 409 attempts, 2933 yards, 19 TD's, 3 INT's = 98.9 rating, 4 wins, 5 losses.

As an aside, if you project the back-ups play over the course of a full season, 5200 yards, 34 TD's and 5 int's...

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We all know that in 2014, Trestman was dealing with a divided locker room. The large majority of the team had approached Trestman and wanted Cutler benched. Some of the team backed their QB.

After a few more losses, and weeks of dealing with increasingly disgruntled players, and a locker room that was almost completely in disarray, Trestman finally benched Cutler. The team, with the exception of a few players, rallied behind Clausen.

Clausen delivered, playing better against the Lions than Cutler had done just 2 weeks before. At one point, Clausen took a dirty hit from Suh, and stood up to him and got in his face. Not only did the players love this, the fans went crazy.

Back to Hicks. He was on Mulley and Hanley this AM.

Mulley opened the interview by talking about how the defense held a potent Lions offense to zero TD's and only 2 FG's (one being a +50 yarder).

Hicks immediate and very poignant direct response was along the lines of "Having Hoyer at QB on the other side of the ball was as big of a key.

Mulley was caught off guard and went back to the defense, but the point was made. The defense has (likely) decided who they want at QB. And given the success of players like Royal, White and Miller, not to mention Howard, it would not surprise me if the offense is already there as well.

Given that Fox and the team have leaked that there is no guarantee Cutler will start when he's healthy, I think the writing is clearly on the wall.
Not Suh, Ansah. And it was a penalty yes, dirty is questionable. In my mind dirty means intentional.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
John Fox did nothing to stop the QB debate at his press conference.

Sounded like Hoyer will play until he doesn't play well.

I agree that Hoyer is better for White. Hoyer seems to be looking for him and not just throwing YOLO balls to Jeffery.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
John Fox did nothing to stop the QB debate at his press conference.

Sounded like Hoyer will play until he doesn't play well.

I agree that Hoyer is better for White. Hoyer seems to be looking for him and not just throwing YOLO balls to Jeffery.

That's actually just the point.

He's not "looking" for him.

He's reading the D, scanning the field, going through progressions, and getting rid of the ball. If White is the guy who should get the ball, it goes his way. If it's Royal, then it goes his way.

I think 9 out of 10 times Cutler has decided who he's throwing it to before he even calls "break"...

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Here's an interesting set of facts.

Over the last 4 seasons (2016 inclusive) Jay Cutler's stats are:
933 completions, 1445 attempts, 10465 yards, 69 TD's and 43 Int's = 88.9 rating, 16 wins, 27 losses

Players who've played for the Bears not named Jay are:
265 completions, 409 attempts, 2933 yards, 19 TD's, 3 INT's = 98.9 rating, 4 wins, 5 losses.

As an aside, if you project the back-ups play over the course of a full season, 5200 yards, 34 TD's and 5 int's...
That would be interesting if your facts weren't incorrect.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's actually just the point.

He's not "looking" for him.

He's reading the D, scanning the field, going through progressions, and getting rid of the ball. If White is the guy who should get the ball, it goes his way. If it's Royal, then it goes his way.

I think 9 out of 10 times Cutler has decided who he's throwing it to before he even calls "break"...

I agree. We saw a number of passes go to Meredith, when he was the read.

I just do not understand the rush to get Hoyer off the field. I get the argument that he is not "the future" and that he "is just a guy", but those exact labels can be applied to Cutler.

The truth is it does not matter who they play. The Bears future at the QB position is playing on Saturdays right now.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
I agree. We saw a number of passes go to Meredith, when he was the read.

I just do not understand the rush to get Hoyer off the field. I get the argument that he is not "the future" and that he "is just a guy", but those exact labels can be applied to Cutler.

The truth is it does not matter who they play. The Bears future at the QB position is playing on Saturdays right now.

I'd rather see Barkley or some other young scrub.