Very Telling interview - Team has turned on "Franchise" (Again)

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
So we should believe that this mysterious week 1 thumb injury that didn't get reported on until after he gets picked off in week 2 actually happened when there is zero evidence to suggest that it happened at all in week 1?

And if you re-watch the Int, the ball isn't a poorly thrown ball.

Aside from the fact that he throws flat-footed, it actually pretty much is a good throw.

He just mis-read the underneath coverage and threw it to the wrong guy.

That's when, all of a sudden, Jay quit.. again... and came up with the "I hurt my thumb" excuse.

Surprisingly, for a person who was supposed to have torn ligs, there was no swelling. Not unlike when he had no swelling and no limp when he quit in the NFCCG.

Bigdaddybear

Liked Posts:
So you guys believe you win in this day and age with game managers.

Ok.
Ummmm yeah, manning didn't do anything spectacular last season and Russell Wilson is good but he managed the game for the legion. Yep looks legit to me. I'm h and as a bonus I will throw in Eli manning too.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How many yards in the air was that Royal pass where he got ~ 65 yard?

I'd guess over 25. hit him in full stride, crossing pattern right on the numbers...

Yes. That pass to Royal is really as much as can be expected from most QBs 95% of the time.....and, as you pointed out, it was in stride so he could ramble for YAC instead of jump balls to high pointing receivers getting plowed after the catch

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
played through Monday night’s loss to the Eagles with ligament damage in his right thumb.

According to multiple team sources, Cutler suffered his injury in the season opener against the Texans. One source said it’s an injury that typically results in a three- to four-week absence.-- Adam Jahns.

Keep trying.

https://twitter.com/ZachZaidman/status/778281783729217536

Follow

Zach ZaidmanVerified account
‏@ZachZaidman
#Bears coach John Fox says Jay Cutler did not injure his thumb last week in Houston

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Because reddit is made up of casual, 12 year old football fans. It is absolutely cancerous.

When did you become such a bad poster?

the question should be has he ever been a good poster

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Fox not telling the truth in press conferences? No way!

So is Jahns lying then?

If Cutler injured his thumb in week 1 why would he lie about it? It would at least be a reason to point to for Cutler's bad play in both games. Lying that he didn't injure his thumb is basically saying up until the int his bad play was solely on him and is no excuse.

I don't doubt Jahns heard that Cutler hurt his thumb in week 1, I just think the excuse train is at full throttle and he is reporting on that.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
That's your opinion. Jahns and Haugh are pretty reliable with information, and Jahns was pretty adamant on post game last week that Jay hurt his thumb originally in week 1 and tried playing thru it.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Another good article by an informed writer.

Brian Hoyer leads Bears to 1st win, but backup role still suits him best.

Nothing during Sunday's 17-14 victory over the Lions at Soldier Field demonstrated Bears quarterback Brian Hoyer's savvy more than the smile he suppressed answering a question after it.

After completing 28 of 36 passes for 302 yards and two touchdowns, Hoyer knew to expect speculation over who should play once starter Jay Cutler returns from a thumb injury. Even if some people in Chicago now consider Hoy Ball more than just the way to describe the Bulls offense under coach Fred Hoiberg, experience helps Hoyer avoid getting too carried away.

"I'll do whatever is asked of me,'' Hoyer answered when asked about his role. "Whatever they say to me tomorrow, that's what I'll prepare to do. I'll be a professional about it. That's one thing I've learned through the tough situations I've been through.''

The Bears asked Hoyer to do little more than protect the ball and move the chains against a bad Lions defense, and he complied. He took what the defense gave him, and the Lions were generous.

"It's not something I haven't done before,'' said Hoyer, on his fifth team.

Exuding confidence, Hoyer made the Lions pay for playing more zone coverage than man by dinking them to death with underneath passes spread among seven receivers. He showed accuracy on the run, as when he hit emerging threat Eddie Royal for a 4-yard touchdown pass. And he was efficient, posting passer rating of 120.1 that Cutler surpassed only once last season.
10 thoughts on the Bears' 17-14 win over the Lions
10 thoughts on the Bears' 17-14 win over the Lions

Hoyer impressed so many observers that Fox analyst Jimmy Johnson predicted at halftime that Cutler had "taken his last snap" as a Bear, an outrageous notion in Week 4 for a starter forced to watch because of injury. So I wondered aloud how difficult the decision will be for Bears coach John Fox once Cutler feels healthy. He sounded like he would have preferred discussing injuries.

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there,'' Fox said. "I'd like to enjoy this for a couple hours.''

When Fox's buzz wears off from the Bears winning at home for the first time since Oct. 4, 2015, he should realize that Cutler still gives his team its best chance of beating quality opponents this season. That isn't referring to Cutler's future with the Bears — moving on next year likely will benefit everybody. But if winning as many games as possible in 2016 remains the organization's primary goal, starting Cutler when healthy brings them closer to that.

With due respect to the professionalism Hoyer offers and the precision he showed, Cutler makes more sense for a unit lacking explosiveness. That Hoyer's success stood out so much on a day the Bears offense scored 17 points only underscored how badly the Bears lack playmakers.

Hoyer forces offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains to coach smarter. For the second straight week under Hoyer, the game plan showed an awareness of the quarterback's limitations, but where was that caution with Cutler? This looked like a differently designed offense, one emphasizing painting-by-numbers over taking bold strokes, providing further proof that Loggains fell into the same trap with Cutler as so many other play-callers not named Adam Gase.
Eddie Royal's big gain, big day help lift Bears to first victory
Eddie Royal's big gain, big day help lift Bears to first victory

For a refreshing change against the Lions, Loggains finally stuck with the run enough for rookie Jordan Howard to grind out 111 yards on 23 carries.

"It opens up a lot of things,'' Hoyer said. "Being balanced keeps the defense guessing.''

It also helped Hoyer that the Bears defense guessed right so often against Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, Detroit's Cutler. The Bears held the NFL's fourth-ranked offense to 263 total yards — 151 below its average — and intercepted Stafford twice. And they did it with guys only an NFL scout could love.

A pass rusher from Georgia registered a huge sack, but it was obscure veteran Cornelius Washington, not first-rounder Leonard Floyd. A big stop on the Lions third-and-goal from the 1 came courtesy of linebacker John Timu, elevated from the practice squad six days ago. The interception that sealed the victory with 4 minutes, 10 seconds left ended up in the hands of rookie cornerback Deiondre' Hall, whose last pick came for Northern Iowa.

"I thought it was lights out,'' Fox said of the defense.

True, but nobody in the league learned much from watching this taffy pull between two NFC North cellar-dwellers who proved, more than anything, how capable they are of drafting in the top 10 next April. The relief Bears players felt from snapping a six-game losing streak at home, and against the Lions, spilled out postgame when one could be overheard in the tunnel shouting: "I (expletive) love it!"

But an 85-yard punt return for a touchdown by Andre Roberts with 1:52 left reminded the crowd — missing an alarming number of no-shows (4,816) — how big the rebuilding job is. Or it just took one glance at Sunday's game ticket after Connor Barth missed a 50-yard field-goal attempt to sum up the Bears' awkward transition phase. A picture on each stub of Robbie Gould, inexplicably cut in preseason, served as a reminder that not every decision will make sense.

At least not as much as the one to sign Hoyer, the consummate pro who has done everything the Bears have asked.

And again Sunday, the less the Bears asked, the more they received.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That's your opinion. Jahns and Haugh are pretty reliable with information, and Jahns was pretty adamant on post game last week that Jay hurt his thumb originally in week 1 and tried playing thru it.

Again I don't doubt Jahns heard that Cutler hurt his thumb in week 1, but when the HEAD COACH flat out says he did not hurt his thumb in week 1 I tend to believe that, especially if lying about it makes Cutler look bad.

You know the reports were flipped you would be singing a different tune basically saying "I will take the HC word over some reporter nerd who hasn't played a down of profesional football....fucking betas don't know shit"

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
"We'll cross that bridge when we get there,'' Fox said. "I'd like to enjoy this for a couple hours.''

LOL..

Even Fox won't go so far as to say Cutler will be starting when his fake injury is better...

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
I love the line that Hoyer forces Dowell Loggains to coach smarter...the 'informed writer' has to basically rip every aspect of the Bears organization after they win, just to make Jay Cutler look 'better' by comparison.

Its pretty simple...the Bears got better play and production from the QB position with Hoyer. One possible byproduct of this fact is the Bears won a football game.

Perhaps, by spreading the ball around, is Hoyer executing the offense better? I know the Cutty fanboys reject that notion.

EmeryStein

Liked Posts:
I bit the bullet and bought tickets to take my boys to the game yesterday. Due to the success of the Bears recently we got tickets at the 10 yard line first row for a decent price. With that said watching Hoyer communicate with the oline and receivers on the sideline after the plays was nice to see. I went to a few games before and 99 percent of the time Cutler is on the bench with the QB coach or OC talking to them but hardly with the other players.

We all know Cutlers has more talent then Hoyer but I think it goes beyond that. The QB needs to lead and bring the team closer. Yes, everyone does it in their own way but Cutler seems to just go through the motions. It would be good to see him huddle up with the offense after something goes wrong and figure it out but again, he always seems to be sitting on the bench. Everyone likes the deep ball but watching a QB not turn the ball over in key situations is also nice to watch as well.

Im hoping Hoyer stays in and the bears get their QB of the future next year but if Cutler comes back he will have his one good game and then things will go back to the way they have in the past. Just my two cents on this issue.............

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I may have missed it but did Cutler show up on the injury report after week 1?

Why would he? He tried gutting thru it and you don't have to put anything on the injury report if he practiced
Everyday.
It was something the Bears and 6 thought they could manage. Obviously can't.

commandowrong.gif

Practice Report
The Practice Report is expected to provide clubs and the public an accurate description of a
player’s injury status and his level of participation during the practice week. All players who
have significant or noteworthy injuries must be listed on the Practice Report, even if the player
takes all the reps in practice, and even if the team is certain that he will play in the upcoming
game.
This is especially true of key players and those players whose injuries have been
covered extensively by the media.

Last edited:

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
We all know that in 2014, Trestman was dealing with a divided locker room. The large majority of the team had approached Trestman and wanted Cutler benched. Some of the team backed their QB.

After a few more losses, and weeks of dealing with increasingly disgruntled players, and a locker room that was almost completely in disarray, Trestman finally benched Cutler. The team, with the exception of a few players, rallied behind Clausen.

Clausen delivered, playing better against the Lions than Cutler had done just 2 weeks before. At one point, Clausen took a dirty hit from Suh, and stood up to him and got in his face. Not only did the players love this, the fans went crazy.

Back to Hicks. He was on Mulley and Hanley this AM.

Mulley opened the interview by talking about how the defense held a potent Lions offense to zero TD's and only 2 FG's (one being a +50 yarder).

Hicks immediate and very poignant direct response was along the lines of "Having Hoyer at QB on the other side of the ball was as big of a key.

Mulley was caught off guard and went back to the defense, but the point was made. The defense has (likely) decided who they want at QB. And given the success of players like Royal, White and Miller, not to mention Howard, it would not surprise me if the offense is already there as well.

Given that Fox and the team have leaked that there is no guarantee Cutler will start when he's healthy, I think the writing is clearly on the wall.

So I thought to myself maybe you were exaggerating this claim just a bit, and then I pulled up the audio via the podcast myself and I honestly don't think your post makes it clear enough how Hicks went out of his way to praise Hoyer by name without even being prompted to do so.

Mully specifically set him up with a question about the defense couldn't have been MORE CLEAR about his desire to talk defense with Hicks and Hicks barreled right into complimenting Hoyer by name and then the offense and then repeated the point when Mully ignored him.

You don't have to much read between the lines here.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Another good article by an informed writer.

It is cute that you keep trying to minimize Hoyers contribution. Yeah, Hoyer is better suited to backup duties. But he is better than Jay.

Hoyer beating the 25th ranked defense and 9th ranked offense might not be the stuff of champions, but he played a perfect game.

I remember watching Jay piss away the san francisco game last year... You know, the 29th ranked defense and 31st ranked offense.
Jay got plenty of help from the run game. 170 yards and 2 tds. Boy, did the run game kick ass that day.
Too bad Jay couldnt keep his wits about him vs one of the shittiest teams in the league. He tossed a pick 6 and put the 31st ranked offense ahead.

Boy- Hoyer may not be starting quality in this league, but at least he doesnt piss down his leg and squander a 170 yard, 2 td rushing day against the bottom feeders of the NFL.

Remember that game? That is Jay in a nutshell.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Perhaps, by spreading the ball around, is Hoyer executing the offense better? I know the Cutty fanboys reject that notion.

when a QB isn't holding on to the ball for god knows how long, he doesn't have to rely on every player on the O-line to play at an all-pro level. Most average lineman can look better when they don't have to block as long