Why Fields hasnt been traded yet

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Obviously offense, that’s poor bait Les, but are you saying the defense was good most of the year? They didn’t start playing well until the Sweat trade
Of course. no baiting at all. Just trying to logically put an argument together. But that’s reverse thinking. Sweat is going to be on the team for 2023, so let’s hope they continue to play well. Nothing is guaranteed obviously.

my point was that the offense is looking like a complete overhaul, and the only coach they kept is on the defensive side (ie the HC).

to sum it all up, the QB situation won’t be the same as Fields unfortunately had.

Last edited:

Rise

Liked Posts:
Nothing really to read into here. I believe the reports that teams are preferring to wait until free agency before dropping draft capital plus salary commitments. If a team views Cousins or Mayfield he’ll even Wilson as equal or superior options then why trade for Fields today? They will only do it for a great deal.

Once those 3 QBs have settled the remaining teams outside of the top 3 will have more interest in Fields. One will make a decent offer and this will be over with. Poles is going to tell teams this is the price today but it’s going to go up after those 3 QBs sign, as it should. He wants this done before free agency begins but ultimately the decision is on other teams.

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:
I guess players can’t improve? That’s why Trubisky is thriving over Mahomes right now because he was taken before him and his scouting report was better? Am I doing this right? @Spitta Andretti ? @inchibearfan ?
Players can absolutely improve, Fields included. Fields is also likely to continue to improve. The question is how much? Because if his deficiencies as a passer don't have major improvements, his ceiling is capped. To me, they don't seem likely to improve as much as is needed.

So now that we acknowledge that we're projecting with both Fields and Williams, the question becomes what are their projections?

IMO, and the opinion of most people that get paid to evaluate NFL talent, Williams projects to be a much better NFL QB than Fields. When you watch Caleb this is what you see:

• His quick release,
  • His ability to adjust arm angles when needed
  • Pocket presence/awareness with ability to maneuver in and out of the pocket
  • Arm talent (arm strength combined with arm angles and ability to make every type of NFL throw with touch and accuracy)
  • When improvising, an ability to make a quick decision and get the ball anywhere on the field from any platform

Williams is light years ahead of Fields in these areas. He projects to be top 5 in the NFL in those categories, and I think top 5 is conservative. This all jumps out of his game tape if you watch it with an open mind.

What will need to be answered is if Williams improves in other areas of his game to be one of the top 5 QBs overall, so that he's not just top 5 in those traits, but he becomes a top 5 QB overall. The only area that I can honestly give Fields a better projection is as a runner, but I would give a major edge to Williams in scrambling, since he is looking to pass as opposed to run when a play breaks down, and he's elite at that as well.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
They can. But asking a GM to keep faith in a 4th year player improving at the most important position, a player he didn't draft, is a tough ask

That's why I think the move for Poles is the #1 QB. It's time. Fields isn't his QB and he hasn't done anything to convince me he has faith in Fields being his guy.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Players can absolutely improve, Fields included. Fields is also likely to continue to improve. The question is how much? Because if his deficiencies as a passer don't have major improvements, his ceiling is capped. To me, they don't seem likely to improve as much as is needed.

So now that we acknowledge that we're projecting with both Fields and Williams, the question becomes what are their projections?

IMO, and the opinion of most people that get paid to evaluate NFL talent, Williams projects to be a much better NFL QB than Fields. When you watch Caleb this is what you see:

• His quick release,
  • His ability to adjust arm angles when needed
  • Pocket presence/awareness with ability to maneuver in and out of the pocket
  • Arm talent (arm strength combined with arm angles and ability to make every type of NFL throw with touch and accuracy)
  • When improvising, an ability to make a quick decision and get the ball anywhere on the field from any platform

Williams is light years ahead of Fields in these areas. He projects to be top 5 in the NFL in those categories, and I think top 5 is conservative. This all jumps out of his game tape if you watch it with an open mind.

What will need to be answered is if Williams improves in other areas of his game to be one of the top 5 QBs overall, so that he's not just top 5 in those traits, but he becomes a top 5 QB overall. The only area that I can honestly give Fields a better projection is as a runner, but I would give a major edge to Williams in scrambling, since he is looking to pass as opposed to run when a play breaks down, and he's elite at that as well.
Literally just heard all this about Lawrence, please spare me at this point. All I can say is I want it to be true if we draft him

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:
Literally just heard all this about Lawrence, please spare me at this point. All I can say is I want it to be true if we draft him
Fair enough. I can imagine how annoying this would all be if you have a strong preference for Fields and don't want to see him go. I think the future is bright for the Bears, and the possibility of sustained success is finally realistic. I'm pretty pumped about it.

I hope you can see that it gets annoying for people that see it differently than you too. It will be good when we have everything settled so we can all move forward together as a fan base. Hopefully that happens anyway.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fair enough. I can imagine how annoying this would all be if you have a strong preference for Fields and don't want to see him go. I think the future is bright for the Bears, and the possibility of sustained success is finally realistic. I'm pretty pumped about it.

I hope you can see that it gets annoying for people that see it differently than you too. It will be good when we have everything settled so we can all move forward together as a fan base. Hopefully that happens anyway.
That’s not it. We see these glossed up QB scouting reports every year and in the end it rarely matters once they’re drafted. Seriously go look up Lawrence’s scouting report, it’s very identical. We will see what he looks like when drafted and imo he needs to immediately be better than Fields especially since his situation is 10x better than what Fields came into with.

I will cheer on Fields wherever he goes but I desperately need Chicago to get the QB position right for once. I’m not getting younger and one playoff berth every 8 years ain’t cutting it

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:
I will cheer on Fields wherever he goes but I desperately need Chicago to get the QB position right for once. I’m not getting younger and one playoff berth every 8 years ain’t cutting it
We agree on that completely. Unfortunately, I was too young when I moved to the Chicago area in the 80's to enjoy any of that, and I really became a fan and started watching closely when everything started going downhill in the early 90's, right in time to see the Packers have nonstop HOF QB play. Hopefully this comes together now.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing really to read into here. I believe the reports that teams are preferring to wait until free agency before dropping draft capital plus salary commitments. If a team views Cousins or Mayfield he’ll even Wilson as equal or superior options then why trade for Fields today? They will only do it for a great deal.

Once those 3 QBs have settled the remaining teams outside of the top 3 will have more interest in Fields. One will make a decent offer and this will be over with. Poles is going to tell teams this is the price today but it’s going to go up after those 3 QBs sign, as it should. He wants this done before free agency begins but ultimately the decision is on other teams.
Good take on it

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Any thoughts?
If Poles is definitely trading him like so many here are guaranteeing. Then why hasn't it happened yet?
I still think it'll probably happen, but it makes me think he's also getting offers for #1 and hasn't yet decided.
Hopefully because Poles understands that this team is already on the brink of being a playoff contender and it hasn't been Justin that is holding them back.

Maybe he realizes that he can get two absolute studs and fill a couple huge holes on the team instead of gambling that a polarizing yet talented QB can translate his college highlights to the NFL.

I believe he is considering the fact that he will be giving up the indisputable leader of his team, for an unknown gamble.

mecha

Liked Posts:
of Fields' 2500 passing yards, I think DJ Moore accounted for 1300 of them and Kmet had like 700 (as a tight end) and I believe Fields missed 4 games..? as a passer he's not horrible, but I think he still needs some more reliable targets.

however, if you draft Williams and get equivalent or better performance with a fresh rookie contract, in a business sense that totally makes sense.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can I just say how proud I am of all you ******* for keeping the discussion and not fighting about every little thing....there is hope for a great big group hug....

On a side note.......
Fuck you......Fuck you.....You're cool......Fuck you....You're ok.....Fuck you....etc....

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Can I just say how proud I am of all you ******* for keeping the discussion and not fighting about every little thing....there is hope for a great big group hug....

On a side note.......
Fuck you......Fuck you.....You're cool......Fuck you....You're ok.....Fuck you....etc....
That’s because a few posters aren’t in here. In the end we just want the bears to be good so I can actually say “ I’m a bears fan” without hearing thunderous laughter afterwards

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Does anyone think it's possible that Poles has no interest in trading Fields?
I mean obviously if the return is insane which I don't think is possible. If he can't get a minimum 2nd then hopefully it's completely off the table.
Without flaming the fire more, we know Poles loves extra picks... And we currently don't have a 2nd Rounder. I think Poles is going to do whatever it takes to AT LEAST get us a 2nd rounder whether that's from Da Haul, trading down from 9, or demanded in return for JF.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That’s because a few posters aren’t in here. In the end we just want the bears to be good so I can actually say “ I’m a bears fan” without hearing thunderous laughter afterwards
It would be nice to have the Bears be good again. But I couldn't care less about people laughing. I'll never change teams so it is what it is.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
of Fields' 2500 passing yards, I think DJ Moore accounted for 1300 of them and Kmet had like 700 (as a tight end) and I believe Fields missed 4 games..? as a passer he's not horrible, but I think he still needs some more reliable targets.

however, if you draft Williams and get equivalent or better performance with a fresh rookie contract, in a business sense that totally makes sense.
I think better blocking at center and on the left side would make the biggest difference.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Without flaming the fire more, we know Poles loves extra picks... And we currently don't have a 2nd Rounder. I think Poles is going to do whatever it takes to AT LEAST get us a 2nd rounder whether that's from Da Haul, trading down from 9, or demanded in return for JF.

He wouldn’t be doing his job if he didn’t try to maximize his return for Fields. I do not see any scenario where he trades that number 1 pick. Trade down from 9 sure I could see that.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we end up getting a 2nd somehow also. There's a lot of fringe 1st/2nd rd talent this year

Rise

Liked Posts:
I think better blocking at center and on the left side would make the biggest difference.

I look forward to reading your reactions when you see just how good Caleb Williams is going to be. Nothing I say now matters but it’s going to be really fun watching my fellow fans of this tragic team finally get some football glory.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I look forward to reading your reactions when you see just how good Caleb Williams is going to be. Nothing I say now matters but it’s going to be really fun watching my fellow fans of this tragic team finally get some football glory.
Unless you want to put him with the same oline, its a little moot...

Yes, if the Bears draft Williams and move on from Fields he damn sure better be an upgrade. I would expect it.