Why Fields hasnt been traded yet

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Wayminnit though:
Hasn't the Stroud-like instant impact been one of the main comps as to why this is such a winning idea?

(ya'll are getting really ridiculous walking back these expectations that have been trumpeted smh)
Well there's a spectrum of posters here I believe. Myself, I believe that CW has the POTENTIAL to make an immediate impact but I don't expect it to happen game 1 lol. My whole take is that our current QB hasn't produced well enough in the 3 years here, and doesn't really look to be on a steep enough improvement curve. Therefore, it's time to move on and draft another QB. The best one seems to be CW. It's really not hard to follow...

Just to echo so those in the back can hear, there are no ABSOLUTES or GUARANTEES. You take a swing when an opportunity comes, but that doesn't guarantee success.

Last edited:

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They openly advertised him to the whole league in the most respectful way that they could.

I thought it would be obvious that was the case when a NFL GM (Poles) was asked about the possibility of trading his starting QB (Justin), and he said that if they go down that road, they want to do right by Justin. I guess if people don't want it to happen, they can't see it.
That doesn't mean they were openly shopping him. Listening to offers for sure. But the literally haven't said anything about openly shopping him so I don't think that they are trying to smokescreen anyone.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
But but but CJ……. lol I’m not expecting world beater numbers but at least a good TD/INT ratio and decent record. I want playoff’s however I temper my expectations
And if that new QB delivers, then great! If not, hopefully they will have built on the experience and flourish the next season.

But yes, I agree, good TD/INT numbers and YPA are my expectations as well this season.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Well there's a spectrum of posters here I believe. Myself, I believe that CW has the POTENTIAL to make an immediate impact but I don't expect it to happen game 1 lol. My whole take is that our current QB hasn't produced well enough in the 3 years here, and doesn't really look to be on a steep enough improvement curve. Therefore, it's time to move on and draft another QB. The best one seems to be CW. It's really not hard to follow...

Just to echo so those in the back can hear, there are no ABSOLUTES or GUARANTEES. You take a swing when an opportunity comes, but that doesn't guarantee success.
Fair enough.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I bet it was all a smoke screen.

I honestly was LOLing at the reporters claiming clarity would come via the combine. There won't be any clarity at a bare minimum until the new league year starts. And if the Bears don't "find a trade partner" for Fields right away, well, let's just say the longer it goes, the more the Caleb Williams contingent should be sweating over the possibility of a draft day trade of the #1 overall pick.

About the dumbest thing I've read.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I think it's more along the lines of where each team is heading in the future. If you want to win right now....then Wilson or Cousins is your guy.....looking for some longevity, then Fields might come into play. The difference in age is 11 years....a significant number when you factor the average age of an NFL player is under 4 years.
The fact that Fields is not a QB that teams think can win now is another reason he is not a plan A, Like you said there is a HUGE age difference but he is still getting passed up.. Teams just dont have any faith in him as a QB.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In response to the OP, I think this means one of two things.

1. The Bears are asking for too much (more than Fields is worth.)
2. Teams don't think that highly of Fields, especially if they're targeting an old Cousins, Mayfield, and expensive Wilson before Fields.

I know Poles said he wants to do "right by Fields", but if he wants to do right by the Bears, he'd wait until the draft before trading Fields, since that's when he's most likely to get the most in return.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

2. Teams don't think that highly of Fields, especially if they're targeting an old Cousins, Mayfield, and expensive Wilson before Fields.

I know Poles said he wants to do "right by Fields", but if he wants to do right by the Bears, he'd wait until the draft before trading Fields, since that's when he's most likely to get the most in return.

Wilson will not be expensive. Anything extra he makes is subtracted from the money the Broncos still owe him. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes somewhere for vet min

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Also Tom Brady is hurting the Fields stock as well..

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wilson will not be expensive. Anything extra he makes is subtracted from the money the Broncos still owe him. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes somewhere for vet min

I actually wrote that before just seeing news that he's been released haha. I was working with the assumption that the Broncos would deal him for like a 7th round pick, and the receiving team would absorb him salary (like the Patriots, who have a ton of cap space.)

But, yeah... now that he's been cut, he'll probably be very cheap. Which is also likely to be more enticing to QB-needy teams, in comparison to trading potentially multiple picks for Fields.

Best case scenario for the Bears is that Cousins returns to Minny, Mayfield returns to Tampa, Wilson signs with a team that wasn't interested in Fields to begin with, and the remaining QB-needy teams aren't too high on JJ, Penis, or Bo Nix. That'll give us the best chance to get a higher pick for Fields.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I actually wrote that before just seeing news that he's been released haha. I was working with the assumption that the Broncos would deal him for like a 7th round pick, and the receiving team would absorb him salary (like the Patriots, who have a ton of cap space.)

But, yeah... now that he's been cut, he'll probably be very cheap. Which is also likely to be more enticing to QB-needy teams, in comparison to trading potentially multiple picks for Fields.

Best case scenario for the Bears is that Cousins returns to Minny, Mayfield returns to Tampa, Wilson signs with a team that wasn't interested in Fields to begin with, and the remaining QB-needy teams aren't too high on JJ, Penis, or Bo Nix. That'll give us the best chance to get a higher pick for Fields.

seeing that Baker is probably headed back to Tampa, so that's a plus. Hope Minny can retain Kirk to really put some pressure on some of these teams for a QB

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

My honest opinion is that they are asking too much.....or maybe they really aren't serious about trading him.

Canth

Liked Posts:

I think my other push back on trying to set a specific set of expectations at this point is also the idea that there is some absolute number that is a pass/fail criteria. I don't like doing that in general as it removes the context that can lead to those numbers.

I agree in general with I think it was modo's numbers of 3600 yards passing and 300 yards rushing would be a solid start. But if he ends up at 3450 yards does that instantly mean he had a failed or bad rookie season? Technically, even 3450 yards would be the most yards passing by a Chicago QB since Jay Cutler in 2015.

I think Williams is capable of more and I think and hope he gets to elite production quickly. But, history also says that rookie years can be a bit of crapshoot because they are still rookies.

I think I will feel better once we see what Poles really does through FA and the draft. If he puts a heavy focus on building offense then I think it helps to set that bar higher. But like, if the biggest FA contract goes to defense and then they also spend #9 on defense then I would be both really damn irritated with Poles and Eberflus but I would also set lower expectations for the offense production as a whole.

Canth

Liked Posts:
My honest opinion is that they are asking too much.....or maybe they really aren't serious about trading him.

My guess is that Poles really wants a 2nd round pick for Fields and the best offer is some package where the highest pick is a 3rd. It looks like Mayfield is staying in Tampa, so the big question for Atlanta is going to be if they can land Cousins. If they miss there, then I think Poles might be able to get what he wants.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The reason he hasn't been traded yet is because he hasn't played well enough to be any teams plan A.. Teams are waiting on better options for now and Fields is the Plan B or C if those other options fall through.
Agreed. Stafford was traded on March 18th, 5 days after FA and Darnold was traded around that time too. This is common regardless of QB