Chase Daniel and Trey Wingo destroying narratives regarding Justin fields

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Williams had a 93:14 TD:INT over his career, won a Heisman, and had an elite and consistent QBR every year.

Putting aside the idea that there really isn't any good way to compare college and pro QBing, in what way does compare unfavorably to what Fields has done in his Bears career?
lol. Why does winning a Heisman matter in regards to their pro prospects?? It means nothing in the nfl or the draft

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Here are the first QBs drafted the last 10 years.

Young - Really struggled
Pickett - Really struggled
Lawrence - Above average starter
Burrow - Near elite QB
Murray - Hit or miss
Mayfield - Failed on his first team
Trubisky - Bust
Goff - Above average starter
Winston - Bust
Bortles - Bust
Manuel - Bust
Luck - Above average starter
Newton - Above average starter
Bradford - Bust

So that is 5 out of 14 success rate IMO or 6 out of 14 if you include Murray. So 36-43% success rate with no SBs winners. Rhe last SB winner to be the first QB drafted was Stafford and he did it on his new team. The last won to win a SB for the team that drafted him is Manning.
If Williams is only as good as Luck/Newton/Murray/Lawrence/Goff, then the Bears blew it. He has to be better than those dunces to justify it. Newton had an MVP that was more of an outlier than anything.

jive

Liked Posts:
The opening of that 3rd paragraph is what scares me the most about bears fans in general. Fields is good enough to win with. ORLY? I'm fairly certain the entire point of this football exercise is to be in the thick of it every year and ultimately win Superbowls. If anyone can legitimately see that with Fields I'd argue you're probably still seeing the same ghosts you seen as a child.

I love Justin Fields. But I can't name a time in NFL history a QB started off with a career like his, And then went on to not only be a perennial playoff caliber QB, but a QB capable of winning championships against the best teams the NFL has to offer. It would be unprecedented. Playing well, clutch when all the chips are down and the money is on the line, because in the playoffs you're going to get tested in a big way.
Josh Allen, Terry Bradshaw, Eli Manning, Jim Plunkett, Drew Brees
Just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Yes, you are 100% correct. If poles has a crystal ball and he knows that Williams will be better, he should definitely take him.

The very best evaluators in the world are wrong about 60% of the time. That has to enter the equation.

Remy has explained it very thoroughly for you.

It's like paying $1,000 for the chance to throw a football into a trash can from 30 yards and win 10k. It's silly to not even consider that you can only hit a trash can 40% of the time. It's part of the decision.
Like I said, get the evaluation right. If you trust in your evaluation, there’s no reason to say, “Well, first round picks bust a lot” as the reason to back out. That tells me you don’t trust your evaluation. GMs don’t think like fans.

I guarantee you that whichever GM takes Williams isn’t saying, “Well damn, I have him as my top guy, but first rounders bust a lot. No deal!”

By the way, my original statement was that saying “We don’t know what X is going to do as a pro” isn’t a legitimate reason to pass on someone. That’s absolutely true, because you could say that about literally any pick ever.

Last edited:

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
lol. Why does winning a Heisman matter in regards to their pro prospects?? It means nothing in the nfl or the draft
It most definitely is not a direct 1-1 correlation to success, but to act like being named the best player in all of college football doesn't matter.

Remember when everyone wanted to make lamar jackson a WR because 'his style' wouldn't work in the NFL? Guy was a heisman winner, it definitely says something to get this award.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why wouldn't any Bears fan become a C.Williams fan if he was drafted by the Bears? That is their team. I hate Bryce Harper but if he got traded to the New York Mets i would be a Bryce Harper fan.
I'm speaking of guys who are disparaging Caleb Williams to make keeping Fields look more attractive, not a fan who sees both sides of the coin.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
If Williams is only as good as Luck/Newton/Murray/Lawrence/Goff, then the Bears blew it. He has to be better than those dunces to justify it. Newton had an MVP that was more of an outlier than anything.
how in the fck are you lumping these players together? lmao

If williams is as good as luck then thats a home run pick unless fields takes a leap next year.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
The opening of that 3rd paragraph is what scares me the most about bears fans in general. Fields is good enough to win with. ORLY? I'm fairly certain the entire point of this football exercise is to be in the thick of it every year and ultimately win Superbowls. If anyone can legitimately see that with Fields I'd argue you're probably still seeing the same ghosts you seen as a child.

I love Justin Fields. But I can't name a time in NFL history a QB started off with a career like his, And then went on to not only be a perennial playoff caliber QB, but a QB capable of winning championships against the best teams the NFL has to offer. It would be unprecedented. Playing well, clutch when all the chips are down and the money is on the line, because in the playoffs you're going to get tested in a big way.
Probably Jim Plunkett, Bradshaw and to a lesser extent Alex Smith. The list is pretty short. Fields will most likely succeed somewhere whether the Bears choose to build around him or not

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It most definitely is not a direct 1-1 correlation to success, but to act like being named the best player in all of college football doesn't matter.

Remember when everyone wanted to make lamar jackson a WR because 'his style' wouldn't work in the NFL? Guy was a heisman winner, it definitely says something to get this award.
Not only that—Winning the Heisman means you played really fucking well.

Playing really well in college is one of the biggest correlations to making it in the NFL. Yes, there are plenty of people who played well in college and didn’t make it as a pro. But if you don’t play well in college, you’re probably not going to make it in the NFL.

This isn’t rocket science. Great college tape doesn’t usually come from shitty players.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Josh Allen, Terry Bradshaw, Eli Manning, Jim Plunkett, Drew Brees
Just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more. Drew Brees had a nasty shoulder injury that almost ended in retirement. By year 3 Allen had two season over 3k passing and one for 4500 and 37/10 TD to int ratio. Manning arguably the closest in terms of production. On that note. I should have said in the modern era. Obviously back in the day QBs weren't producing at the levels they are now.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
how in the fck are you lumping these players together? lmao

If williams is as good as luck then thats a home run pick unless fields takes a leap next year.
It’s crazy to me for someone to label Luck as simply an “above average starter” and someone you’d be disappointed in picking first, lol. Is this a generation thing? Are there 13 year olds on the board?

jive

Liked Posts:
Not only that—Winning the Heisman means you played really fucking well.

Playing really well in college is one of the biggest correlations to making it in the NFL. Yes, there are plenty of people who played well in college and didn’t make it as a pro. But if you don’t play well in college, you’re probably not going to make it in the NFL.

This isn’t rocket science. Great college tape doesn’t usually come from shitty players.
But great college tape doesn't necessarily transfer to the pros.

Here's some former Heisman winners. I'm sure they had some amazing highlight reels.
Chris Weinke
Eric Crouch
Jason White
Matt Leinart
Troy Smith
Tim Tebow
Sam Bradford
Johnny Manziel
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Here's some great Heisman winners since 2000

But great college tape doesn't necessarily transfer to the pros.

Here's some former Heisman winners. I'm sure they had some amazing highlight reels.
Chris Weinke
Eric Crouch
Jason White
Matt Leinart
Troy Smith
Tim Tebow
Sam Bradford
Johnny Manziel
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Yeah, that’s what I said.

No one is claiming winning a Heisman automatically makes you a good pro.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Probably Jim Plunkett, Bradshaw and to a lesser extent Alex Smith. The list is pretty short. Fields will most likely succeed somewhere whether the Bears choose to build around him or not
Again define the success? Does anyone truly believe Fields is going to move on and win championships elsewhere? It's not about being good, or relevant, it's about being great. It's about not settling. If you're a GM, do you pass on potential greatness because you're content with the possibility of good? I'm sure there are some GMs that would. In the same breath that's not the type of GM I'm interested in running the franchise I cheer for.

Onna personal level, this has nothing to do with Fields vs insert QB prospect here, moreso a general team building philosophy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We'll get 1 or 2 picks for Fields. I'm not taking anything lower than a 2nd and 4th or 5th for him.

Yes I already said we will get a pick from trading Fields.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
At what point does self preservation kick in?

1) Most GMs want to pick their own guy. This is a risky offseason no matter which way he goes. Lots of guys would want to face that risk with a guy they picked, not someone they inherited.

2) While it’s true that if you draft Williams and he’s a bust, that would be detrimental to Poles’ job security, it’s just as true that if you pass on Williams and he’s great, your job is also in jeopardy, even if Fields is a solid starter. He already passed on Stroud. If he passes on another great QB, it means he can’t evaluate quarterbacks and everyone knows it. You don’t survive that.

I give everyone here credit. There are lots of reasons to pick one path or the other. But there is also an ego and job security factor that must be taken into account.