Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Disagree. Very important for anyone running routes or covering routes. It is related to a player's ability to get in and out of breaks. I look at Zach Ertz, and he's nowhere near the athlete that the other top TEs (Kelce, Kittle) are. But his 3-cone was really good. He frustrates me vs the Bears because I can't understand how he gets so open. Doesn't appear to be a great athlete, but i didn't realize his 3-cone was so good. He gets open by really getting in and out of breaks quickly. If Kmet can better that part of his game, he'll be a stud. If not, he can still be a solid Kyle Rudolph type. And Rudolph is fine, 1 or 2 pro bowls. Top 10 TE in the league most of his career.
Rudolf looked stiff compare to Kmet. Slower and less dynamic.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'd take that and call the pick a success.

Thats literally his floor tho.

Unless he ends up a shaheen type bust, which I doubt. Shaheen was soft from day 1. Kmet looks like an actual TE willing to get his hands dirty.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
A lot of people had him to the GB Packers at #29.

I guarantee you if the pack took him at #29 everyone would consider him the next great TE.

Now that the bears took him he's the next adam shaheen.

Who's saying he's the next Shaheen?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Haven't read all nine pages, but perhaps one of the interesting items to note is that Kmet just turned 21 in March. He's a baby who will no doubt continue to grow. He's a bit of a project, yes, but he was 20 yeara old a month ago. Everything about him is pointing up.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
5 TDs in 2 years doesn't show he was even a focal point near the goalline. Everyone says, "GB didn't use him correctly", but maybe they didn't use him because he wasn't worth using. His usage went down in Seattle. His usage went down each year in GB. He's not decrepit at 33 years old, but he has played a lot of football. 10 years, over 1000 targets. Doesn't really miss games. His high end of production is probably similar to what Burton did in 2018. Which is whatever, they should be throwing the ball to Robinson and Miller anyway.

This is important for people to realize. You're 100% correct. AR #1 and AntMil needs to have that big season. Which I fully think he CAN do IF he stays healthy. Graham will be option #3 if this is done right.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Rudolf looked stiff compare to Kmet. Slower and less dynamic.

Don't know who originally brought it up, but I heard it on 670 the score from Hub I believe, and he said Jason Witten, and it makes sense. They are very similar as far as build and athleticism goes. They are also very similar as far as college stats go.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’d be happy with these stats. Problem with that is we are seeing more and more WR’s come out and hit 1k yards as rookies in the NFL. I don’t hate this pick as the more I read about Kmet the more I think he could be a player. I just wonder if the bears have done enough for at OL an WR for this kid to come in and have any impact.

They run more routes and get more targets.

In the Bears 2020 offense, I am pretty sure that WR3 is going to see a significant reduction in usage.

msadows

Liked Posts:
This is important for people to realize. You're 100% correct. AR #1 and AntMil needs to have that big season. Which I fully think he CAN do IF he stays healthy. Graham will be option #3 if this is done right.

Cohen is still going to get a fuckton of targets too now that we have two tight ends.

You run both graham and Kmet out there with cohen and its mismatch city.

Teams can choose to bring in more DB's, if they do, hopefully we can run it down their throat(lol who am i kidding, run the ball? lol)

Teams can keep their base set and put a linebacker on graham/kmet and lose.

Teams can put a corner/safety on graham/kmet and a linebacker on cohen and lose.

Having two good TE's really is going to be interesting to see.

Putting a linebacker on any of Graham/cohen/kmet is a major mismatch.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Does anyone think that any other QB is going to contribute this year?

This defense has a 2 year window.

Drafting jalen hurts doesn't do anything for you until this defense is shit. Probably ever tho, tbh.

Best case scenario is for mitch to win the starting job and end up playing like 2018.

If that is the best scenario we are fucked, Trubisky was bad in 2018 and he was bad with an easy schedule

msadows

Liked Posts:
If that is the best scenario we are fucked, Trubisky was bad in 2018 and he was bad with an easy schedule

Trubisky was not bad in 2018.

I don't think you know what bad is.

He was on pace for 4,000+ combined yards, 29 TD's, and 14 INT's had he not gotten injured.

I think thats a solid season. This offense was also very aggressive in 2018. He threw deep the 3rd most in the NFL, only patty M and aaron rodgers threw it deep more.

He also had an average intended yards to the stick around the same as pat mahomes.

Not saying he was great, or anything, but he was more than serviceable. The tape and stats back it up. He was basically Jimmy G last year but much more aggressive.

This offense wasn't perfect in 2018, but I'd take a repeat of 2018 in a fucking heartbeat. That mitch has a chance to win us a superbowl with this defense.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Its all because of the 3 cone.

His 40 time, broad jump, and vertical for his size is very good.

3 cone would mean more if he was a runningback. Unless we are handing the ball off to him regularly he won't be making precise cuts enough to make it matter that much. 3 cone matters most for RB/CB.

He graded well on a lot of the combine tests, but the three cone drill time criticism is completely fair because it helps identify an ability to run crisp routes, create separation, & opportunities for more explosive plays.

Historically, tight ends have had a limited impact on their respective teams in their rookie years. In recent memory, the ones that did have an immediate impact (Evan Engram, Darren Waller, Hunter Henry, & George Kittle) all timed significantly better in the three cone drill.

Cole Kmet: 7.44 seconds
Hunter Henry: 7.16 seconds
Evan Engram: 6.92 seconds
Darren Waller: 7.07 seconds
George Kittle: 6.76 seconds

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
It's mostly sarcasm, but certain posters were having a fit that we drafted a tight end at #43 when the draft was going on.

That's not the same as saying he is going to be a bust. I think he'll be fine, but it wasn't a good choice to draft a TE at 43. It's not an indictment on the player.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He graded well on a lot of the combine tests, but the three cone drill time criticism is completely fair because it helps identify an ability to run crisp routes, create separation, & opportunities for more explosive plays.

Historically, tight ends have had a limited impact on their respective teams in their rookie years. In recent memory, the ones that did have an immediate impact (Evan Engram, Darren Waller, Hunter Henry, & George Kittle) all timed significantly better in the three cone drill.

And mark andrews ran a poor 3 cone as well.

It isn't stopping him from tearing up the NFL.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Adam Shaheen ran a 7.09 and he looks like a fucking old man out there.

3 cone is really only a major resource for positions that have to cut a TON, like corners and runningbacks.

Yes, it shows that his cuts won't be as fast/crisp, but that isn't as important for a TE as a RB for example.,

Historically, 3 cone has been a measure for mostly CB's and DE's since they need to bend and change direction at will.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Darren Waller didn't do shit as a rookie. He was injured and struggled with substance abuse for the better part of his first four seasons. Based on what rookie TEs generally do, it's hard to expect much from Kmet this season. Hopefully he can hit 60ish rec/500 yrds/5 TDs. That happens, we could see a big leap the next season.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Oh no, Bears drafted a TE that didn't run a fucking shorts drill as fast as the TE that broke the single season receiving yards record. He sucsk!!

msadows

Liked Posts:
Oh no, Bears drafted a TE that didn't run a fucking shorts drill as fast as the TE that broke the single season receiving yards record. He sucsk!!

Plus, its the weirdest drill to nitpick about.

Bench is important for TE's, it shows upperbody strength and push in the run game.

Broad jump same thing.

Vertical is probably the most important, because it increases your catch radius.

All 3 cone shows is that he isn't capable of playing cornerback or defensive end. Plenty of TE's and WR's have had poor 3 cones and succeeded in the nfl.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
One thing worth mentioning that hasn’t been talked about enough on here is that his blocking can and will probably continue to improve. He was a 2 sport athlete and on the baseball team so he missed spring practice and never gave his full attention to football. Now that’s done with he can put in more time in the gym and continue to develop as a blocker which I have seen him knocked for on here.

msadows

Liked Posts:
One thing worth mentioning that hasn’t been talked about enough on here is that his blocking can and will probably continue to improve. He was a 2 sport athlete and on the baseball team so he missed spring practice and never gave his full attention to football. Now that’s done with he can put in more time in the gym and continue to develop as a blocker which I have seen him knocked for on here.

If you watch his actual tape(not highlights) his blocking is lightyears ahead of what most prospects in this draft is.

He wiffs from time to time but more often than not he has a solid base and gets push. It's a lot better than what Ertz's was coming out.

My guess is he will see a lot of PT just on blocking alone. Which is good because our only actual TE who could block is Harris, he does it well, but he provides almost nothing in pass catching situations. Marching Harris out there would have kinda telegraphed the play.