Cubs General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) dont use my line.... :rolleyes:

2) it wasnt misdirection, it was a personal statement to got teeth. ya see whatever i say, he says the opposite and than goes on immature tyrades about peoples moms

3) mind your own business.

1) It's the internet. So, I will do what I want.

2) That's a cool story.

3) See number 1.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Don't hate on sabermetrics, just because you can't comprehend it.

I hate on things that make no sense and that are stupid to judge players on

Oh, and to steal your line, it's the internet so ill do what i want

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't hate on sabermetrics, just because you can't comprehend it.

images

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZLVi4v7lSM[/ame]

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

They do make sense if you simply read to understand them. If they make no sense to you, how can you say that they are stupid to judge players? :obama:

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
They do make sense if you simply read to understand them. If they make no sense to you, how can you say that they are stupid to judge players? :obama:

I've read into all these dumb formulas they can come up with. For example, in your use of FIP, isnt there a league wide number that is used in the formula?

For example, look here: Baseball Prospectus | Glossary

The formula is (HR*13+(BB+HBP-IBB)*3-K*2)/IP, plus a league-specific factor (usually around 3.2) to round out the number to an equivalent ERA number.

First off, explain to me what these multiplication of 13, 3, and 2 are

And what about that league-specific factor? Just a random number they come up with? And it is "usually 3.2" sounds flawed to me.

I'd rather look at real stats that these pitchers have posted, not ones based on a league wide generic formula

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've read into all these dumb formulas they can come up with. For example, in your use of FIP, isnt there a league wide number that is used in the formula?

For example, look here: Baseball Prospectus | Glossary

First off, explain to me what these multiplication of 13, 3, and 2 are

And what about that league-specific factor? Just a random number they come up with? And it is "usually 3.2" sounds flawed to me.

I'd rather look at real stats that these pitchers have posted, not ones based on a league wide generic formula

The constant is solely to bring FIP onto an ERA scale for comparison purposes and ease of use. The constant is generally around 3.20, but can be derived by finding the league-average FIP and subtracting that result from league-average ERA.
How FIP works: You're probably wondering where the coefficients came from — 13 * HR, 3 * BB, and 2 * K. The simple answer is that Tom Tango created a matrix with run values for each play outcome. The coefficients attempt to adjust for how much each home run and walk contribute to the other team's runs scored and how much each strikeout contributes to preventing the other team's runs scored.
All stats are league wide generic formulas, TBO. ERA, for example, is ER*9/IP.
:obama:

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
So your saying that you would rather build your team around how a team looks in a math formula rather than what you see on the field?

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
All stats are league wide generic formulas, TBO. ERA, for example, is ER*9/IP.
:obama:

Ok, so if im reading that right, one person's FIP is based off that generic number which is derived from league wide FIP's...correct?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So your saying that you would rather build your team around how a team looks in a math formula rather than what you see on the field?

If I were in charge of the team, I probably would. However, I think it is best to use a combo of scouting(in the minors) and saber(for players with MLB experience)

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

What he does is takes one stat (FIP) and determines how good the pitcher is based on only that, Using FIP is a good tool but AGAIN and for the last time it isnt to be used by itself to evaluate talent.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok, so if im reading that right, one person's FIP is based off that generic number which is derived from league wide FIP's...correct?

Everyone's FIP incorporates a league average. That is what makes it a good stat, it levels out the playing field.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What he does is takes one stat (FIP) and determines how good the pitcher is based on only that, Using FIP is a good tool but AGAIN and for the last time it isnt to be used by itself to evaluate talent.

I am NOT using just FIP to evaluate talent. This is just the one that you have such a problem with.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I were in charge of the team, I probably would. However, I think it is best to use a combo of scouting(in the minors) and saber(for players with MLB experience)

Well than you would have a rotation filled with FIP friendly Randy Wells pitchers. Gluck with that.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats

Well see, I disagree there, but to each his own i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.