Cutler to Miami appears to be a done deal

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I for one hope he does play. It would be cool to see him have a good season before re retiring.

or would it show the bears made a mistake not hiring Gase as the head coach when Cutler was here. Remember, Gase interviewed first, then Fox became available and the McCaskeys sent pace out to hire him.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I want him to stay in the booth. Cutler as a broadcaster sounds a whole hell of a lot more intriguing than Cutler as a QB. We've seen that story, it never goes well.. I think Cutty might actually be pretty decent upstairs.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
Jay is apparently leaning towards staying retired,per Bleacher report.Now weather this is some kind of negotiation tactic to squeeze every penny out of the phins is yet to be seen,i don't think he plays again and its probably best.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Holy Frig Mongo did call it!!! #footballprophets #mongo4prez2020

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I hope he stays put. If he ends up signing with Miami, say goodbye to his career in broadcasting. It's not a good look to sign a deal and then walk away from it before even announcing your first game. It would put FOX in a real shitty situation that will cause them to scramble for a replacement with the pre-season already about to begin in full force.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hope he stays put. If he ends up signing with Miami, say goodbye to his career in broadcasting. It's not a good look to sign a deal and then walk away from it before even announcing your first game. It would put FOX in a real shitty situation that will cause them to scramble for a replacement with the pre-season already about to begin in full force.

Depends on how seriously he wants to take announcing. You don't just pass up millions of dollars if you only see yourself announcing for a few seasons.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Depends on how seriously he wants to take announcing. You don't just pass up millions of dollars if you only see yourself announcing for a few seasons.

The only caveat is that Jay has made over $100 million already and his wife has all her business as well so the point being… I doubt he's in it for the money at this point. He won't sign and embarrassing contract either though so the Dolphins are going to have to pony up starting money. Of course that's only my take

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I was Cutler I would give my sons a bunch of loot and tell them to stay the fuck away from the NFL. Assuming his brain is still functional by the time his kids are college age. It really think he is going to have a hellacious case of CTE.

I have no idea why he would come back. Money is great but that guy took some damage and probably doesn't need more.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I tend to disagree... Cutler playing for the Dolphins only increases his value as an announcer in the future. Even him being in the news now increases his potential viewership as an announcer. The media hires appreciate that.

And the media hires won't have to scramble too hard to replace a color commentator like Cutler, as he was surely considered a "curiosity". They've heard Jay address the media (which would not inspire hopes of a great color commentator), and they surely would be ready to let him go if he sucked as a color commentator. They wouldn't hold it against Jay if he played another year.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't but if I could get $1M I'd be good to quit.
I don't know if TV would care. QB gets another year of insight to talk about. They know there's a need for QBs out there. They must have a need for QB color commentary to have gone after Cutler. If they stay in good with each other they have an inside connection for a year (not that there's much call for Dolphin news lately).

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I tend to disagree... Cutler playing for the Dolphins only increases his value as an announcer in the future. Even him being in the news now increases his potential viewership as an announcer. The media hires appreciate that.

And the media hires won't have to scramble too hard to replace a color commentator like Cutler, as he was surely considered a "curiosity". They've heard Jay address the media (which would not inspire hopes of a great color commentator), and they surely would be ready to let him go if he sucked as a color commentator. They wouldn't hold it against Jay if he played another year.

I wasn't even thinking of viewers. Miami would be a big number. Denver, Chicago and Miami has him spread around.

Jay, what do you have to say about that play?
Cutler, "Meh"

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I wasn't even thinking of viewers. Miami would be a big number. Denver, Chicago and Miami has him spread around.

Jay, what do you have to say about that play?
Cutler, "Meh"
Dolphins website hasn't announced anything... so that brings the chance of Jay playing in Miami down below 50% in my opinion.

I'll love hearing Jay do the color commentating on the upcoming preseason game. I hope he really is forthcoming in his comments and has a lot of fun. And by forthcoming, I don't mean talking trash or saying 'should-remain-private' stuff about the Bears, which we all already know Cutler has too much honor to do. Rather, although Jay is surely knowledgeable about the game and can add insight, he's specifically got to add more than that to have a career as a color commentator, he's got to add some levity. He already has his voice against him, as I don't think it carries very well -- it's a low tone, and he tends to speak quietly, without umph and without much up-and-down expression. So he's really got to push himself with the wisecracks, which I think he can do.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
? Did you never listen to him with Waddle and Silvy? I don't think you're describing the same person I've heard.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nope. Why how would you describe him?

He has personality, a sense of humor, great with sarcasm, can be engaging but can also be along for the ride if he's not into the topic. The way he talks does give away how interested he is in the conversation. I am pretty interested in seeing how well he does as an analyst so to speak during live play. It will give you a better idea of how he processes the game. Something we never really got to see or hear other than in mic'ed up clips here and there when he was playing for us.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Some of y'all are some sad fucking excuses for human beings. Dude is off the team and you're still all on his dick no matter what. Get on with your lives already. Or are your lives so sad that you have to track a super rich guy's life to talk shit about him so you can feel better about your miserable existence?

Separation anxiety.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no idea why he would come back. Money is great but that guy took some damage and probably doesn't need more.

Maybe he wants or needs to prove something to himself. I mean, I get that angle for sure.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He has personality, a sense of humor, great with sarcasm, can be engaging but can also be along for the ride if he's not into the topic. The way he talks does give away how interested he is in the conversation. I am pretty interested in seeing how well he does as an analyst so to speak during live play. It will give you a better idea of how he processes the game. Something we never really got to see or hear other than in mic'ed up clips here and there when he was playing for us.

When HBO did Cutler mic'd up versus Buffalo in 2010, it was entertaining.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
or would it show the bears made a mistake not hiring Gase as the head coach when Cutler was here. Remember, Gase interviewed first, then Fox became available and the McCaskeys sent pace out to hire him.

I couldn't care less. Water under the bridge.