Darnell Wright?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Honestly Wright could still "bust" I guess but he showed a lot of solid floor stuff and overcame injury challenges pretty well. But I'm not a taco delivery boy whomst masquerades as a football analyst so I'm just gonna be me and be real here. Solesky has never seen the inside of a locker room.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Why in the world would this make a difference?

This is like 1980’s thinking

It wouldn't at all. Teams always line up their best edge over the worst tackle, unless the edge can only turn left like zoolander.

That's why it makes a difference. You try the OTs we have to find where the combo works the best.

It also makes a difference because if it is determined Jones isn't good enough and you find out where Wright is best you may get a non-swing tackle cheaper. Or in the least you can focus on players who mainly played the side you need.
As it is we have Wright playing where he last played in college not because he was better there but because the rest of his college team was worse there. It makes no sense.

Maybe it's been determined that Jones sucks on the right but that's not the excuse we heard.
It sounds like Cunningham predetermined the top 10 OT that played swing tackle through college could only play RT so finding where they work the best isn't a consideration.
When the player and the player's college says something about offense that conflicts with what the Bears say I'm going to defer to the ones that aren't the Bears as who is right.

Remember this is the team that will put a defensive player on offense and other out of position decisions that haven't had the best results. Defending this is 90's Bear fans thinking.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I actually think Wright held up well vs. Hutch, especially considering he was PLAYING WITH A BUM SHOULDER SINCE OCTOBER.
He did, but he played really well against Crosby all things considered.

Biff, when it comes down to it, just wants bears fans to be as miserable as he is. That's why he does this. It's weird.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Daniel ignores a lot. I have no doubt that Wright could play LT, I do have doubts if Jones could play any OL position outside of Left Tackle. Dude just doesnt have the strength for it.

Still have no clue what poles is doing. Any logical person would have put Tev and Wright next to each other at RG/RT and let them bulldoze people. Thats what happens when you sign a guy to a big contract who has no positional versatility in nate davis

That would be a real reason.
But it's also a reason to be looking for a replacement for Jones at least as a starter.

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure dexter matched his production the second half of the season.

Phly as a whole was a complete shitshow.

Id much rather have Carter than Dexter. He's a rare talent and a much better penetrator than Dexter has shown to be.

However, another factor is Carter likely would have been upset the bears didnt select him first overall rather than trading down and picking him at 10. With vets like Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham and former GA teammate Jordan Davis it was an ideal situation Carter fell into and he showed potential to be the second greatest eagles DL of all time behind White.

I HIGHLY suspect if the bears had selected Carter he would have been a malcontent from the get go.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's why it makes a difference. You try the OTs we have to find where the combo works the best.

It also makes a difference because if it is determined Jones isn't good enough and you find out where Wright is best you may get a non-swing tackle cheaper. Or in the least you can focus on players who mainly played the side you need.
As it is we have Wright playing where he last played in college not because he was better there but because the rest of his college team was worse there. It makes no sense.

Maybe it's been determined that Jones sucks on the right but that's not the excuse we heard.
It sounds like Cunningham predetermined the top 10 OT that played swing tackle through college could only play RT so finding where they work the best isn't a consideration.
When the player and the player's college says something about offense that conflicts with what the Bears say I'm going to defer to the ones that aren't the Bears as who is right.

Remember this is the team that will put a defensive player on offense and other out of position decisions that haven't had the best results. Defending this is 90's Bear fans thinking.

Wright was best at RT in college. Almost everyone agreed on that when he was picked

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
Id much rather have Carter than Dexter. He's a rare talent and a much better penetrator than Dexter has shown to be.

However, another factor is Carter likely would have been upset the bears didnt select him first overall rather than trading down and picking him at 10. With vets like Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham and former GA teammate Jordan Davis it was an ideal situation Carter fell into and he showed potential to be the second greatest eagles DL of all time behind White.

I HIGHLY suspect if the bears had selected Carter he would have been a malcontent from the get go.

I mean...Dexter was the higher rated HS recruit. There is a good chance if he went to georgia and carter went to florida their draft positions would swap.

No clue what those florida coaches were doing. Dexter should have transfered the moment they tried to turn a lean 6'6 basketball player into a run stopping DT.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I would just like to also say dude was like 6'7/6'8 in basketball shoes as an 18 year old senior and 230 pounds.

Imagine being a random white kid and being forced to guard that monster.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Wright was best at RT in college. Almost everyone agreed on that when he was picked

And why was he playing RT at the end of college? Do you know?
I do because I bothered to look into it deeper than Bears media.
He won the LT position.
He volunteered to shift to RT because of the rest of his team only being able to do LT.
The best RT is a better LT. What does that tell you?
It tells me we have a better LT playing RT because of players we don't have on the team.

If Wright is better at LT but Jones is worse at RT than a replacement for Jones should be found. If Wright is better at LT that replacement can be a single sided RT. Which considering QBs haven't had eyes inserted into the back of their heads it is still as valid today as it was in the '80s that LT holds more value than RT and swing tackles are most valuable.
The best on the left never had anything to do with the incoming pressure. It had everything to do with the QB's head position.

The problem isn't where he plays. The problem is Cunningham thinking he drafted a single sided OT with the top 10 when they actually drafted a swing tackle.
The pick of a swing tackle at 10 was good. The use of the pick saying he is only a RT is not.
Going by that from Cunningham's mouth they're not trying to find the best spots for the players they have.

To drive this further home, what side does Amegadjie play? So our stupid staff drafted a swing tackle who was better at LT but they're convinced they only drafted a RT so they're still dumpster diving for LTs when they would have more chances of success dumpster diving for RTs.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Wright is a good run blocker but I'm dying for the Bears to have a dynamic pass protector for the QB. I'd love for the pocket to hold up for once.

Most everyone is negative over the offensive line as a whole but they're really steamed up because I want to hold the highest drafted player to a higher standard. Wright is not the best player on the offensive line, Braxton Jones whom a lot of people were ready to replace is rated better than Wright and is a fifth round draft pick.

So to recap:

Darnell Wright Top-10 pick massively high expectations when you are a Top-10 pick. Struggles in pass protection. Has heavy feet. Is not as good as Braxton Jones by more than a few opinions.

Majority of board wants Jones replaced but refuses to take the same critical eye with Wright who is only a year younger than Jones.

Where am I going wrong with critiquing a Top-10 pick in asking more of him and why everyone is so excited about his future when he couldn't come in on a below average offensive line and immediately establish himself as the best player.
I think that Braxton Jones is outplaying his draft position and that should be complimented, but that doesn't mean that Wright is not playing up to his draft slot. Wright performed as well as Paris Johnson did last year - both top ten picks. He didn't struggle compared to other rookie linemen.

He had tons of good reps out there that you aren't giving any credit to. He had several really good games. I think you are being pessimistic for no real purpose other than to stir things up.

Where you are wrong is that he performed well for a rookie, and are simply pessimistic about his ceiling (because you are tired of being hopeful, I guess). That isn't critiquing, that is being negative. I also think your bar for success based on his draft slot is flawed - why should Wright be expected to be better than Jones or Jenkins out of the gate? Rookies should be given room to become NFL players. Jones should be allowed to be the best lineman regardless of his own draft slot if he works that hard. That means that if everyone reaches their ceiling, we have two dominant tackles. That's a good thing.

I still want to hear about where you were high for Jenkins at Tackle where you are down on Wright.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myk
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think that Braxton Jones is outplaying his draft position and that should be complimented, but that doesn't mean that Wright is not playing up to his draft slot. Wright performed as well as Paris Johnson did last year - both top ten picks. He didn't struggle compared to other rookie linemen.

He had tons of good reps out there that you aren't giving any credit to. He had several really good games. I think you are being pessimistic for no real purpose other than to stir things up.

Where you are wrong is that he performed well for a rookie, and are simply pessimistic about his ceiling (because you are tired of being hopeful, I guess). That isn't critiquing, that is being negative. I also think your bar for success based on his draft slot is flawed - why should Wright be expected to be better than Jones or Jenkins out of the gate? Rookies should be given room to become NFL players. Jones should be allowed to be the best lineman regardless of his own draft slot if he works that hard. That means that if everyone reaches their ceiling, we have two dominant tackles. That's a good thing.

I still want to hear about where you were high for Jenkins at Tackle where you are down on Wright.
Agree to disagree

• Haha
Reactions: Myk

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Agree to disagree
I can agree to disagree on most of that, but I want you to address two of those thoughts. The rest is difference in opinion, and the difference between optimism and pessimism.

Why can Jones not be the best lineman on the team, and be given credit for how well he has outplayed his draft slot, without holding it against other linemen?

Last year you had an article that Teven Jenkins should have been moved back tackle. Why would this team have been better served with Jenkins at RT than Wright?