Hail Szczur: Official Cubs Prospects and Off-season Leagues Thread

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doug Padilla @ESPNChiCubs
Cubs make move from Peoria to Kane County official. Renew with Daytona and Boise.
14 minutes ago

Hopefully Daytona doesn't suffer months of rainouts like they did this past season.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Former Cubs spec Chris Robinson is with Team Canada for WBC Qualifying

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

Probably still way too early to hammer it down but the Cubs flipped with the Rockies and now have the #2 pick. So possibly they can get either Appel or Stanek there. This version of the mock draft has Austin Meadows going to the Cubs at #3 and if they believe he is best guy available they might do it anyway. But the Cubs need pitching and will likely go Appel/Stanek, depending on who is available and who doesn't have their arm blow up in the meantime.

http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2013-mlb-mock-draft-2-0-top-31-picks/25236/

This one is about a month old but also has the Cubs picking Meadows. The short scouting report makes him sound juicy :fap:

Couple more collections of mock drafts:

http://bigleaguefutures.net/1/mlb-mock-draft-central-2013/

http://dcprosportsreport.com/MLBMocks.htm

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I really like Martinez, he's shown up as high as #2 or as low as #23 though. Meadows would be sick too, give insurance in case Almora, Soler, or Jackson don't pan out. That said, pitching should definitely be the priority, but if the Cubs see significantly more value in a position player, draft to talent not needs.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Based on various Theo comments via Twitter it sounds like Vitters and Brett Jackson are going to get more time in Iowa.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Based on various Theo comments via Twitter it sounds like Vitters and Brett Jackson are going to get more time in Iowa.

Vitters isn't a major league player yet, (if he ever will be). Iowa will be good for him. I don't think AAA will help Jackson at this point, though. I think he has to learn and fail or succeed at the major league level.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brett Jackson is supposed to have tons of homework this offseason to improve his mechanics. They're going to rebuild him bigger, better, stronger...

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Brett Jackson is supposed to have tons of homework this offseason to improve his mechanics. They're going to rebuild him bigger, better, stronger...

God there is one particular hole in his swing that chaps my ass and that's the middle inside zone with breaking stuff. It bothers me so much because that was one of my biggest holes too.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
God there is one particular hole in his swing that chaps my ass and that's the middle inside zone with breaking stuff. It bothers me so much because that was one of my biggest holes too.

That's what she said :cubstroll:

If they can eliminate the major holes in his swing and improve his plate coverage I'd be a happy panda. I think he can be a good trade asset though and wouldn't be surprised to see him packaged away since the Cubs aren't exactly short on OF types in the minors that could become impact players.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
That's what she said :cubstroll:

If they can eliminate the major holes in his swing and improve his plate coverage I'd be a happy panda. I think he can be a good trade asset though and wouldn't be surprised to see him packaged away since the Cubs aren't exactly short on OF types in the minors that could become impact players.

HA!

I thought he could maybe become Tigers era Granderson, but man his coverage is awful. I hope the work pays off because his skill set is so enticing.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Vitters and Jackson are going to start the year in Iowa that means they need some placeholders for those spots. I wonder if Stewart might be getting another shot after all. If Soriano is gone the Cubs are definitely going to have to get another OF to fill in with the guys in the system.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't recall if anyone posted this but Bruce Miles provided a bit of context from the Theo Epstein news thingy, including a couple things about Vitters and Brett Jackson.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/7205

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony Campana (Wrigley Field)

Bruce, Am I in the Cubs long term plans?

Bruce Levine (1:39 PM)

Well, maybe more than I thought before since the White Sox tried to trade for you and were told you were not available.

WTF. Trade him yesterday :hitler:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks