Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You can't seriously just look at the stats alone and define what was impressive or not without a single drop of context.
Context is the guy did exactly what was needed and looked poised beyond his years. The Bears were 8-13 on third down and he only took 2 sacks all game, something Fields has yet to accomplish all season.

Anyone not impressed by his first start is just being stupid. Would this be an acceptable average game in season two if he were a starter absolutely not.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You're absolutely right that this is average Quarterback play. But there's a reason for it. We get excited because we've never had it. Think of the number of times a starter has gotten hurt and the back up stunk up the joint.

The prospect of even a competent backup is exciting because this is the Bears.

Mully just now when discussing the Bears choosing to keep Bagent over Walker in the preseason quipped "There’s a headline. 'BEARS make right decision'. When's the last time you ever read that?"

And there is a little fascination with this guy because having now seen him getting the game ball in the locker room, his body really looks like he just came out of division 2. He hasn't had the benefit of a full NFL training regimen or even a division one training regimen. Which means while I wouldn't expect anything radical, there is a possibility for his arm strength to improve.

I'm not going to crap on fans for getting excited over a rookie showing promise and having some potential upside as well.

But he has a long way to go to prove he should be anything more than a really good backup. Nonetheless he's a backup I would want on my team. Because as we've seen across the NFL and even the other team we played, a ton of backups crap the bed when they come in.
There's been plenty of competent backups in Chicago. There's just never been one that comes in and takes over for the starter and makes him as irrelevant as Wally Pipp. Average is what you get some of the time from a backup and then teams get film on the best ways to defend him, take away his best attributes and expose him for who he is.

That's probably going to be what happens to Bagent going forward assuming Justin doesn't come back next week. Bagent needs like 5 games minimally for teams to attack him. But there's not much to like about today, it was EXTREMELY basic. It worked well because the Bears ran the ball so well and Bagent can operate the game plan from under center which makes your run game even better.

napo55

Liked Posts:
If This Were a first round picks first start, I would say we drafted the next Chad Pennington given the lack of arm. But everything else looks actually pretty amazing
He completed over 70% of his passes with no turnovers. He was accurate and composed. The short pass was open and you expect him to ignore open receivers?
Now. lets see how he performs in the next game before making any final judgements.....

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
loved what I saw from him today, quick decisions, went through his progressions, got the ball out on time.

Want to see a few deeper throws from him though before we can officially call him the next Brady

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
I can’t stress enough that this is Tyson Bagent’s first career start.

He’s a Division 2 undrafted rookie quarterback.

I’m seeing poise.
I’m seeing him keep his eyes downfield.
I’m seeing him play smart and protecting the football.
I’m seeing him evaluating the field and going the right way.
I’m seeing him escape pressure.

If a #1 overall pick was having a first career start like this, we’d say they were impressive.

I don’t know where this all ends up, probably nowhere. But the man deserves props in his first career start.
He does everything you wish Fields would do except 15+ air-yard passes. That said, I wanted to see at least a couple of deep shots. Hip torque from proper technique can generate the velocity he needs but he never really sets his feet. Janocko should be teaching this kid that. Otherwise, he will never be more than a game manager. Of course, Fields could just throw the ball away sooner than when he's being taken to the ground or has a body on his facemask, and actually try to throw quickly.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
loved what I saw from him today, quick decisions, went through his progressions, got the ball out on time.

Want to see a few deeper throws from him though before we can officially call him the next Brady

You've already called him that.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getsy actually called a smart game plan today. A lot of short throws and using the run to get out of long yardage situations. (Although Fields does bare half of the blame for sacks & refusing to throw short or to open guys). I am worried about his arm, he throws short often which will be figured out soon enough in the league. But at worst, the Bears have a backup QB and at best they might have a competent game manager like Goff or Cousins.
Bingo...and both are young and far from finished products in development

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
If a #1 overall pick was having a first career start like this, we’d say they were impressive.

No. We already know. If this was a 4th round pick's first start and the whole year played out like this with the rookie breaking Bear rookie records we'd have Orton and people would be saying the same things.
If this was a 1st, no fucking way you'd be happy except with the win. Since I was about the only one (very few) who liked Orton you don't get to play that card now.

Bagent does seem to have a good football head on his shoulders. I recall the same thing said back then, put Orton's head on Rex's body to have Ortman.

The real question is if the OCs then and now can call a game for the Bagents of the world and stay within the abilities of the QB why can't they do the same when it's Grossman, Cutler, Trubisky or Fields? Are we really supposed to believe better QBs can't manage to throw a dink and dunk game?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
No. We already know. If this was a 4th round pick's first start and the whole year played out like this with the rookie breaking Bear rookie records we'd have Orton and people would be saying the same things.
If this was a 1st, no fucking way you'd be happy except with the win. Since I was about the only one (very few) who liked Orton you don't get to play that card now.

Bagent does seem to have a good football head on his shoulders. I recall the same thing said back then, put Orton's head on Rex's body to have Ortman.

The real question is if the OCs then and now can call a game for the Bagents of the world and stay within the abilities of the QB why can't they do the same when it's Grossman, Cutler, Trubisky or Fields? Are we really supposed to believe better QBs can't manage to throw a dink and dunk game?

Yes.

Go find me a handful of first round QBs over the past few years who had a better first career start. It’ll be difficult for you.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Yes he has but Fields has gotten ripped for having these same stats by some of the posters blowing the bag boy.
Because when fields has these numbers da Bears lose....Bears could never win a game with Fields having these numbers. oh.. btw...its about winning the game. Maybe you've heard of that concept. But then again,,,...maybe not.

• Haha
Reactions: Myk

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Because when fields has these numbers da Bears lose....Bears could never win a game with Fields having these numbers. oh.. btw...its about winning the game. Maybe you've heard of that concept. But then again,,,...maybe not.
Bears could win a game with Fields having those numbers. Today they had probably one of their top 3 defensive performances of the past 3 years and he was asked to do next to nothing, which was more than enough.

and no i havent heard of that concept of winning. Not in my roughly 20 years of Bears fandom. There was that one year where the punt guy scored TDs tho

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I think an UDFA rookie from a D2 school in his 1st start might have lesser expectations than Justin Fields. Feel free to disagree but common sense is common sense
We should compare Bagent's first start with Field's first start. Anyone remember Field's start vs Cleveland? I know, I know...it was everybody else's fault.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
We should compare Bagent's first start with Field's first start. Anyone remember Field's start vs Cleveland? I know, I know...it was everybody else's fault.
We shouldn’t have to compare them. We should just appreciate Bagent doing his job and not looking overwhelmed.

Fields 1st start was after the bears traded multiple 1sts for him to be the franchise QB. Bagents 1st start is the backup QB after going undrafted playing at a D2 school.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Bears could win a game with Fields having those numbers. Today they had probably one of their top 3 defensive performances of the past 3 years and he was asked to do next to nothing, which was more than enough.

and no i havent heard of that concept of winning. Not in my roughly 20 years of Bears fandom. There was that one year where the punt guy scored TDs tho
I have to admit,,,great response! Definitely a Touche'.....lol...

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
We shouldn’t have to compare them. We should just appreciate Bagent doing his job and not looking overwhelmed.

Fields 1st start was after the bears traded multiple 1sts for him to be the franchise QB. Bagents 1st start is the backup QB after going undrafted playing at a D2 school.
Correct...there's no comparing......totally different circumstances......my point is the outcome...it was a W...why the criticism from some?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
162 yards man completely epic
For this team? Sometimes I’d be thrilled with that. That’s how pathetic this organization is. 1985 is the only thing stopping most people from realizing that the Bears are a shit franchise.