If this was a first round pick’s 1st start, we’d say this was impressive

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Yes.

Go find me a handful of first round QBs over the past few years who had a better first career start. It’ll be difficult for you.

I'm proud of your new shiny toy. You'll be sick of it very quickly just like all the rest. Even if all he does is win like in '05. Soon he won't win pretty enough for you.
We've been here, done this.

If we had a 1st round QB have a game called to take the game out of the QB's hands like this one and Bagent's part of the last one fans would be assuming something was wrong with the QB's ability.
We've already been through this with Orton and again with Trubisky. The OC calling a game to manage the QB's flaws is not good enough for Bears fans for long. Especially not for a 1st rounder.

162yds with a 5.6yd average for a 1st rounder would be roasted over the coals (like Fields has been). I don't know why you're trying to gaslight but I know Bears fans.
I even said it before Bagent was a thought to play outside of winning the preseason for some especially moronic fans.
If Fields did get rid of the ball quickly people would be calling him a noodle arm for throwing short passes.

It has nothing to do with Bagent or Fields. It's Bears fans. We won so you think it's impressive. When we don't win you'll start questioning if if the yardage is enough. And if it was a 1st rounder you would start out asking why only 162yds. Just like people are asking why has Fields only got over 300yds once.
People are still convinced Orton had a noodle arm in spite of him throwing something like a 57yd pass through the air while still with the Bears.

I hope Bagent has a hidden arm to go with the head and we get the next Tom Brady. But the odds are not with us. And if we paid a 1st to get a dink and dunk QB people would be pissed.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The other thing you need to evaluate about a 1st start is that there's now more film on him and it may just be a good day.

That said, his poise and command were impressive but we still need to see how Ds respond and he compensates. Just like you don't bury a guy for one bad game, you don't make him a 1st round equivalent for one good one.

But I'm encouraged.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh, and I don't know what Bagent is yet but anyone comparing him to Orton is FOOTBALL STUPID. He looks and plays nothing like 1st year Kyle. Release, reads, mobility, arm angles, presnap adjusts, rush avoidance, etc, etc. Bagent may not make it long term and Orton eventually had a reasonable career but they will never, ever be similar style/characteristic players.

Last edited:

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm proud of your new shiny toy. You'll be sick of it very quickly just like all the rest. Even if all he does is win like in '05. Soon he won't win pretty enough for you.
We've been here, done this.

If we had a 1st round QB have a game called to take the game out of the QB's hands like this one and Bagent's part of the last one fans would be assuming something was wrong with the QB's ability.
We've already been through this with Orton and again with Trubisky. The OC calling a game to manage the QB's flaws is not good enough for Bears fans for long. Especially not for a 1st rounder.

162yds with a 5.6yd average for a 1st rounder would be roasted over the coals (like Fields has been). I don't know why you're trying to gaslight but I know Bears fans.
I even said it before Bagent was a thought to play outside of winning the preseason for some especially moronic fans.
If Fields did get rid of the ball quickly people would be calling him a noodle arm for throwing short passes.

It has nothing to do with Bagent or Fields. It's Bears fans. We won so you think it's impressive. When we don't win you'll start questioning if if the yardage is enough. And if it was a 1st rounder you would start out asking why only 162yds. Just like people are asking why has Fields only got over 300yds once.
People are still convinced Orton had a noodle arm in spite of him throwing something like a 57yd pass through the air while still with the Bears.

I hope Bagent has a hidden arm to go with the head and we get the next Tom Brady. But the odds are not with us. And if we paid a 1st to get a dink and dunk QB people would be pissed.

There is much more to look at than just the yardage.

How were they on third down? 8 for 13

How many sacks? Just 1

How many turnovers? 0

Thats the difference that people are pointing at.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yes because of playing 4 teams in the bottom 12 in offense. Numbers do lie.
They don’t lie, they just don’t tell the whole story.
Using the total yardage as the de facto defensive metric is fool’s gold and for those that don’t use critical thinking or actual context. It reminds me of when people say a team has a good pass defense because the passing yards against per game are above average but in reality that defense’s run defense is so bad, teams don’t have to pass to move the ball on them. DVOA and other metrics are much better to judge teams by.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

How many sacks? Just 1

How many turnovers? 0

I’m pretty sure it was 2 sacks but could be wrong.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Youre correct.. It was 2. One to Crosby and Tyree Wilson got one that I didnt remember
Tyree is starting to come on strong. Dude will be a beast. Imagine passing up on him to take a gadget RB

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bagent was pretty much best case scenario- by that I mean he was a backup who played a competent game for a backup.

No more, no less.

What I find amusing is the typical Chicago qb war responses.

"(Insert backup name) only looked good because (insert o.c. name) finally called a good game!!"

"(Insert backup name) had more options because the defense played well for him"

It is the same ol' same ol' for Chicago.
The #1 with some incredible attributes also has gaping holes in his game.

A less talented guy comes in without all those holes (but far less physical talent) and we get a taste of what a game looks like without the glaring issues that handicap the #1, and we see how a game plan can develop when the team isn't overcoming bad turnovers and missed opportunities.

Yesterday was less about Bagent than it was reminding us about the fundamental flaws Fields has that shoots the offense in the foot.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

How many sacks? Just 1

How many turnovers? 0

The raiders didn’t send pressure, only rushed 4. They made zero attempt to blitz, they made zero attempts to make Bagent uncomfortable or confused. And I’m not shortchanging the undrafted rookie’s day, but let’s maintain objective expectations.

The raiders did to the bears what the bears did to the packers week 1. If Bagent played a whole game against what Flores did a week ago I don’t think we’re talking about Poise, 3rd down conversions, sacks, and we already know turnovers the same way we’re doing now.

Enjoy it. A DC is going to make this kids life hell soon. You’ll see what kind of QB he is then. But in the snippet last week, plenty to feel good about and plenty to take with a gain of salt.

jive

Liked Posts:
The Bears had a lead throughout the game, and the defense was playing well. There was no need for Bagent to have to throw for 300 yards. If your QB is throwing for 400 yards a game, it's because your defense sucks.

Bagent played well, especially for where he was drafted. Let's see if he can lead a comeback when the other team knows you have to pass the ball.