Mayweather vs Pacquiao

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think it's hate. Just a different era. When I was young you could ask anyone who the champ of the world was and they could tell you. Major fights would be on the network and the world watched. Go outside today and ask ten people who the heavy weight champ of the world is and I'll be surprised if two could tell you. PPV has had a lot to do with it but that's where the money is. This fight ended as expected. If you think he's the greatest ever that's fine. I would say an Ali or Surgar Ray which doesn't make it hate. Just a difference of opinion. The sad truth is boxing is kind of dead. But boxing is to blame for its own demise. Hell, I would be surprised if one random person could tell you who the heavy weight champ is. Sad really cause back in the day those guys were like super heroes.
I don't disagree with any of your post. Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did anyone get knocked down?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
In order for a bar or restaurant to carry the fight:

200 person capacity: $6,500

500 person capacity: $15,500

I hope everyone drank excessively.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think it's hate. Just a different era. When I was young you could ask anyone who the champ of the world was and they could tell you. Major fights would be on the network and the world watched. Go outside today and ask ten people who the heavy weight champ of the world is and I'll be surprised if two could tell you. PPV has had a lot to do with it but that's where the money is. This fight ended as expected. If you think he's the greatest ever that's fine. I would say an Ali or Sugar Ray which doesn't make it hate. Just a difference of opinion. The sad truth is boxing is kind of dead. But boxing is to blame for its own demise. Hell, I would be surprised if one random person could tell you who the heavy weight champ is. Sad really cause back in the day those guys were like super heroes.
Couldn't agree more. i remember the days of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, Leonard, Duran, Hearns. Those days were the best for boxing and it's been nothing since. You had the Tyson era that immediately followed but the level of competition and super fights wasn't there for the most part. Tyson lived off rep and his opponents were usually defeated before the fight started. Wasn't til a bum named Buster laid him out that others saw if you weather the initial storm, this guy can be beaten. Then Evander proved to be the better man and Lennox followed, putting him to rest.

Think Tyson and Pac are kind of similar in that their reputations preceded them and opponents were mentally defeated before the fights. Then when things go bad, their fans had a ton of excuses as to why they went bad to try to save those manufactured reputations. You knew boxing was doomed though when it had to rely on the lighter weights. Heavies were the big draw back in the day. Watching little men go the distance isn't much fun. And, yeah, I know who the heavyweight champ is today ...only cause it's the only name you ever hear about from the HW division. It's like that division went underground and is a big secret.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
Couldn't agree more. i remember the days of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, Leonard, Duran, Hearns. Those days were the best for boxing and it's been nothing since. You had the Tyson era that immediately followed but the level of competition and super fights wasn't there for the most part. Tyson lived off rep and his opponents were usually defeated before the fight started. Wasn't til a bum named Buster laid him out that others saw if you weather the initial storm, this guy can be beaten. Then Evander proved to be the better man and Lennox followed, putting him to rest.

Think Tyson and Pac are kind of similar in that their reputations preceded them and opponents were mentally defeated before the fights. Then when things go bad, their fans had a ton of excuses as to why they went bad to try to save those manufactured reputations. You knew boxing was doomed though when it had to rely on the lighter weights. Heavies were the big draw back in the day. Watching little men go the distance isn't much fun. And, yeah, I know who the heavyweight champ is today ...only cause it's the only name you ever hear about from the HW division. It's like that division went underground and is a big secret.

heavy weight is on a raise again..klitschko wont be able to dominate the heavy division like they use to..he had a decent fight on his hands last week..deontay wilder will be more of a challenge

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think comparing Pacquiao to Tyson -- as far as reputation -- is kind of a slight to how terrifying Tyson actually was. I'm not a huge fan, but one of my buddies is the world's biggest Tyson fanboy; on the rare occasions I see him he makes it a point to force me to watch a tape (yes, a fucking VHS) compilation of Tyson's first decade or so...and his reputation was earned. Unfortunately most of it gets overshadowed by his later career and persona, but he was about as dominant a fighter that has ever existed when he was focused and on his game.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think comparing Pacquiao to Tyson -- as far as reputation -- is kind of a slight to how terrifying Tyson actually was. I'm not a huge fan, but one of my buddies is the world's biggest Tyson fanboy; on the rare occasions I see him he makes it a point to force me to watch a tape (yes, a fucking VHS) compilation of Tyson's first decade or so...and his reputation was earned. Unfortunately most of it gets overshadowed by his later career and persona, but he was about as dominant a fighter that has ever existed when he was focused and on his game.

Tyson peak was his early 20's. When Cus D'Amato died, so did Tyson prime. People dont realize that the only thing that stopped Tyson was Tyson. He could have went toe to toe with any great boxer. Recently, George Foreman said Tyson was better then Ali. He was an animal. Im not starting that debate up. Just saying there are opinions from guys like him that put Tyson with Ali. Pac had a good run, but he was never great.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The death of boxing for me were the Marvis Frazier fights against Larry Holmes and Mike Tyson.

TCD

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree with any of your post. Well said

Regardless of people's opinion whether top 5, 10, 20. He will always be in the discussion.

And he should be.

I dont really buy into the " he avoided better fighters" as an excuse to keep him out of the conversation. Sure he probably could have picked better fights and better times for fights but sometimes you just gotta look at a guys abilities a lone despite who he has and hasnt faced. Much like Tyson if you look at the heavyweight division. Doesnt mean these guys arent great fighters because they didnt have a pool of talent to fight against like their previous counterparts. Tyson in his prime is still the quickest fucker ever in the heavyweight ranks with incredible punching power and combinations no matter who or who wasnt the opponent. Mayweather might be the greatest defensive fighter ever based strictly on technique and intelligence no matter who he has or hasnt faced. Can't take these things away from these guys and it is what made them and makes them so unique and special.

TCD

Liked Posts:
Tyson peak was his early 20's. When Cus D'Amato died, so did Tyson prime. People dont realize that the only thing that stopped Tyson was Tyson. He could have went toe to toe with any great boxer. Recently, George Foreman said Tyson was better then Ali. He was an animal. Im not starting that debate up. Just saying there are opinions from guys like him that put Tyson with Ali. Pac had a good run, but he was never great.

I have a hard time even looking at Tysons fights from Douglas on. Just not worth it. Cus D'Amato Tyson might be the greatest fighter of all time and that says a lot at that age. Just cant ignore how viciously fast he was for a heavyweight and how incredibly powerful his strikes were. As far as boxing goes Tyson at that time was the cliche of the best defense is a good offense. I dont know what his jaw was like at that time because nobody ever got the chance to test it.

Its a real fucking shame that he dove into a fucked up dark place after DAmato died. We all missed out on something incredibly special. Watching his fights against the likes of Douglas, Holyfield and Lewis were energy suckers for real boxing fans. They arent the fights Tyson as a boxer should be remembered for but sadly they are. That wasnt Tyson the boxer that was Tyson the spectacle of self destruction. Everyone loves a train wreck.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
I have a hard time even looking at Tysons fights from Douglas on. Just not worth it. Cus D'Amato Tyson might be the greatest fighter of all time and that says a lot at that age. Just cant ignore how viciously fast he was for a heavyweight and how incredibly powerful his strikes were. As far as boxing goes Tyson at that time was the cliche of the best defense is a good offense. I dont know what his jaw was like at that time because nobody ever got the chance to test it.

Its a real fucking shame that he dove into a fucked up dark place after DAmato died. We all missed out on something incredibly special. Watching his fights against the likes of Douglas, Holyfield and Lewis were energy suckers for real boxing fans. They arent the fights Tyson as a boxer should be remembered for but sadly they are. That wasnt Tyson the boxer that was Tyson the spectacle of self destruction. Everyone loves a train wreck.

While this is true, he was a young guy in his early 20's thrust into fame and fortune and what come with it. I would say he had help with his demise in the form of Don king, Robin Givens and many others.

Reactions: TCD

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's what I mean by the lame excuses to protect the reputations of guys like him. Know how many good fighters Tyson beat before Cus died? Zero, nada, nil. He was just beating up on bums. Tyson did good until fighters stopped believing the hype. Knocked out by a bum, lost his mind against a better man and got buried by a better champion. End of story.

TCD

Liked Posts:
And a lot of those bums Tyson beat the shit out of to climb the ranks would have destroyed most of the bums that the likes of Ali, Fraser (my fav of all time), Foreman had to go through to climb the ranks. So I dont understand that side of the argument all the time. Wasnt tysons fault that the higher ranked guys in the heavyweight division at the time werent as deep as in the 70s...which wasnt actually as deep as people like to think.

Some of the Tyson haters should probably actually go back and watch some of his amateur fights also. That is if you can handle amateur fighting and dont need the label as "pro" to get your rocks off. Tyson destroyed in his amateur climb...fucking destroyed..broke records and broke faces. Against some really good amateurs also. Boxing isnt just about the pro ranks even though that is where the money, hype and the fame is. Watch a fighter for what he is not for what he is marketed as all the time. Some of the best bouts are in the amateur ranks before the big money destroys guys and forms a bias in boxing fans.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
And a lot of those bums Tyson beat the shit out of to climb the ranks would have destroyed most of the bums that the likes of Ali, Fraser (my fav of all time), Foreman had to go through to climb the ranks. So I dont understand that side of the argument all the time. Wasnt tysons fault that the higher ranked guys in the heavyweight division at the time werent as deep as in the 70s...which wasnt actually as deep as people like to think.

Some of the Tyson haters should probably actually go back and watch some of his amateur fights also. That is if you can handle amateur fighting and dont need the label as "pro" to get your rocks off. Tyson destroyed in his amateur climb...fucking destroyed..broke records and broke faces. Against some really good amateurs also. Boxing isnt just about the pro ranks even though that is where the money and the fame is. Watch a fighter for what he is not for what he is marketed as all the time.
Truth is, those bums were actually bums who were unknowns. Tyson also lost in his amateur career so I wouldn't say it was that dominant. Guys like Ali had many fights against the very best fighters of his time. But if Fraser was your favorite I would think you'd know it was really Frazier. Ali, Frazier, Norton and Foreman fought each other several times as well as other feared fighters and heavy hitters like Ron Lyle, Ernie Shavers, and Sonny Liston.

Certainly wasn't that level of competition in Tyson's time which is why everyone latched on to him and rode him for everything he was worth. He was important to boxing cause there weren't really any other big draws at the time. Holyfield was considered washed up before facing Tyson, yet he beat the younger Tyson like the bitch he was cause not only wasn't he afraid of Tyson but Tyson feared him which is why he acted the psycho in their rematch and bit his ear off. You can make all the excuses you want for Tyson but he was just a thug who bullied lesser talent and made a hell of a career doing that until he met up with some guys who were not afraid of him.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:

don King destroyed Tyson. That piece of shit milked the hell outta a guy who lost his mentor and father figure. Once king came into the picture, the man leeched and milked as much outta Tyson as possible. Quite sad, really.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I've always been curious, especially this last fast, if the two met up at some dive bar or something.. And said like "hey look, let's give them a show and milk this thing as long as we can"

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's what I mean by the lame excuses to protect the reputations of guys like him. Know how many good fighters Tyson beat before Cus died? Zero, nada, nil. He was just beating up on bums. Tyson did good until fighters stopped believing the hype. Knocked out by a bum, lost his mind against a better man and got buried by a better champion. End of story.

Lulz. You have no idea what you are talking about, but its alright. Go with how you feel.