Proof that Hip/Hop and Rap Sucks...

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
God I love overarching music genre arguments.

They definitely bring out the best of the best.

The Beach Boys sucked thus rock and roll sucked. Kinda stupid right?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
you can probably google so many different bands and get some kind of infraction against an artist in all genres.
Again, the difference is that those other bands will typically give credit to those other artists on the album. Page never did that. Matter of fact he would leave off the names of those artists.

For instance, the song 'Babe I'm Going to Leave You,' was originally written by Anne Brendon in late 1950's, and later performed by Joan Baez in 1962. When Zeppelin put that song on their first album it was credited as, 'words and music traditional arranged by Jimmy Page,' when Zeppelin 1 was put out later it was listed as 'words and music by Jimmy Page.'

Brendon sued Page in 1980, and thereafter it has read 'words and music by Brendon/Page/Plant.'

Here is another youtube (it is actually Part 1 of the second youtube I posted earlier)...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M&feature=related]YouTube - Led Zeppelin Plagiarism Part 1[/ame]

This video, plus the second one I gave in that earlier post will show how Zeppelin credited the music on their albums. More often than not, they did not give any credit to the original songwriter.

I'm not a lawyer, but that seems pretty clear cut copyright infringement.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
God I love overarching music genre arguments.

They definitely bring out the best of the best.

The Beach Boys sucked thus rock and roll sucked. Kinda stupid right?
Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys is widely regarded as the first actual rock album. Before then, it was mostly singles.

I think even McCartney and Lennon said that Sgt. Pepper was a direct result of trying to make a better album then Pet Sounds.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
Rap is awesome. It's free will to make songs about slappin' a bitch and fuckin' a hoe. HOW COULD YOU NOT LOVE THAT?!?!
:bizarro:

Without rap I would have no idea how to run a successful crack-dealing business... I wouldn't know that women are just bitches and are only good for shaking their asses... And I wouldnt know that big shiny gaudy wheel on old ugly cars is HELLA TIGHT YO!!!

No need, rap and hip hop does a well enough job discrediting itself...

Ok please explain to me what is so appealing about people rhyming words over a sample beat in which the lyrics in most of these songs are only about very few subject matters. Most of the songs maintain the same tempo throughout the song as well.

How can listening to that be more satisfying over a song that includes tons of instrumental talent and complex song composition that incorporates many tempos and rhythms to a song.

Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys is widely regarded as the first actual rock album. Before then, it was mostly singles.

I think even McCartney and Lennon said that Sgt. Pepper was a direct result of trying to make a better album then Pet Sounds.

I don't like Elvis, so thus everything that uses electric guitars sucks.

I really, really hate musical genre arguments. There's a reason I don't come on here and badmouth country or really anyones genre of music because chances are whatever your genre misconception is, there's millions of songs to disprove it.

Fakebigben

Beer Pong Champion
Liked Posts:
This has turned into the gayest thread ever.
cutler+facepalm.jpg

/facepalm

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I don't like Elvis, so thus everything that uses electric guitars sucks.

I really, really hate musical genre arguments. There's a reason I don't come on here and badmouth country or really anyones genre of music because chances are whatever your genre misconception is, there's millions of songs to disprove it.

Valid point, but I wish to know only this: what are your thoughts on grow-ops?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

I'm completely aware. My point was more that it has been happening forever, and there is no less

This is Led Zeppelin were talking about, but imagine all of the 1 hit wonders in the rap and techno genres that have ripped off music, without credit. It's all an irony for sure, that all of a sudden, people start to care this much, so much later. What was an homage pre-internet super anal IP rights, is now infringement.

Metallica's Debut album was a style rip off on a band called Budgie, they even used the same album title, as a Budgie album. Kill Them All.
It wasn't until the whole "Napster" publicity exploded, that Metallica gave credit to Budgie for that album, despite ....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z6cVUOhLDw]YouTube - Metallica Breadfan[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54H3EUAzpVg]YouTube - BUDGIE - BREADFAN[/ame]
598_02.jpg

Back of the original release. I have this album, 1st pressing.

metgdr.jpg

Back of the re-release, with added mention of covered songs.

Does this make Metallica a glorified tribute band? The reason I ask, is because nobody really made a youtube plagiarism video for them, and I bet most people don't even know. You can dig up a lot, on most well known musicians, nothing is as original as it may seem. And to even care about such technicalities, is a waste of time. If you like the music, that is all that matters.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
And also, I don't trust the courts too much, when it comes to this. They awarded Huey Lewis for infringement on stealing the News's style, when Ray Parker Jr did this number.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4uxIo4t7xM]YouTube - Ray Parker Jr - Ghostbusters[/ame]

I can see similarities, but sometimes, it's just ridiculous. It's like Ford should have sued GM for making the Camaro. I just face palm at these infringements.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
end this torture.....stop it

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Crystallas, this is from the original post....
Once a Hip/Hop or Rap song has been out for over a month it is considered old and over played...

...while music Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd released 40 years ago is still some of the most popular and amazing music ever. Not to mention the fact that they actually have instrumental talent and wrote the music rather than "sample" other peoples stuff to create songs.

Thoughts?
I was purely commenting on that originally, and went through a litany of examples in which Led Zeppelin lyrics and music were stolen from their original artists.

I can only assume there is not a youtube video (if there is a better way of presenting the issue, I'll gladly do that as well) of the Metallica issue. Otherwise it would probably be there.

Yes, artists are influence by other artists from the past - it is silly to suggest otherwise. The issue with LZ is that the stolen material ranges from Led Zeppelin 1-4 (although with Led Zeppelin 4 I don't have an issue with what they did with how much Stairway sounds like Taurus by Spirit), and Physical Graffiti. That is four albums in which they were doing this.

The other issue was Led Zeppelin was sued, from what I have found, at least three times. Has Metallica been sued over 'Kill Them All'??

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Crystallas, this is from the original post....

I was purely commenting on that originally, and went through a litany of examples in which Led Zeppelin lyrics and music were stolen from their original artists.

I can only assume there is not a youtube video (if there is a better way of presenting the issue, I'll gladly do that as well) of the Metallica issue. Otherwise it would probably be there.

Yes, artists are influence by other artists from the past - it is silly to suggest otherwise. The issue with LZ is that the stolen material ranges from Led Zeppelin 1-4 (although with Led Zeppelin 4 I don't have an issue with what they did with how much Stairway sounds like Taurus by Spirit), and Physical Graffiti. That is four albums in which they were doing this.

The other issue was Led Zeppelin was sued, from what I have found, at least three times. Has Metallica been sued over 'Kill Them All'??

I know, I know. Sorry mate. Didn't mean to jump so far here. I didn't like Zep being called a glorified tribute band, which was my main reason for the backlash. It's a shame that so many bands didn't get recognized for their music, but I still disagree with the actual music being the biggest seller, when Robert Plant's voice was really the x-factor that made a normal blues-ish rock band, into a truly great band.

And no, Metallica was never sued. It wasn't until the recent decades where people have become serious pussies about their creations. Budgie is pretty well off, so I don't think they are so desperate for the money anyways, but in today's world, they could easily win, from what we have been seeing! LOL!!

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
And also, I don't trust the courts too much, when it comes to this. They awarded Huey Lewis for infringement on stealing the News's style, when Ray Parker Jr did this number.

I can see similarities, but sometimes, it's just ridiculous. It's like Ford should have sued GM for making the Camaro. I just face palm at these infringements.
Well, let me put it this way....

I'm currently working on a thesis for my masters' degree. Is it alright for me to quote a previous work without properly citing it in text, or in my reference page?

If not, what is the difference with not putting the work done by a previous artist on the record?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I know, I know. Sorry mate. Didn't mean to jump so far here. I didn't like Zep being called a glorified tribute band, which was my main reason for the backlash. It's a shame that so many bands didn't get recognized for their music, but I still disagree with the actual music being the biggest seller, when Robert Plant's voice was really the x-factor that made a normal blues-ish rock band, into a truly great band.

And no, Metallica was never sued. It wasn't until the recent decades where people have become serious pussies about their creations. Budgie is pretty well off, so I don't think they are so desperate for the money anyways, but in today's world, they could easily win, from what we have been seeing! LOL!!
All I'm saying is; it's a little unfair that Jimmy Page lives in a fucking castle, while Howling Wolf and that poor bastard Willie Dixon have to take it to a court to get recognized.

BTW, the irony isn't lost on me that Metallica might have stolen an album title and even more, but bitch about Napster.

Lefty

Liked Posts:

Wait, what?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
In re: Breadfan......what that done as a cover?? I only ask because the youtube comments lead me to believe that. If so, I would think Budgie would be credited.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
And to throw more fuel on this "black music v. white music v. fight music" debate, it seems as though the rap world isn't without its own plagiarists:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4KX7SkDe4Q]YouTube - Producer Timbaland rips song from finnish musician?[/ame]

Apparently a lawsuit has been filed in Florida against Timbaland by the original Finnish composer....OH NOEZZ, TEH PUSSY!!!11!!

Livewire

Liked Posts:
Metallica's Debut album was a style rip off on a band called Budgie, they even used the same album title, as a Budgie album. Kill Them All.
It wasn't until the whole "Napster" publicity exploded, that Metallica gave credit to Budgie for that album, despite ....
YouTube - Metallica Breadfan
YouTube - BUDGIE - BREADFAN
598_02.jpg

Back of the original release. I have this album, 1st pressing.

metgdr.jpg

Back of the re-release, with added mention of covered songs.

Does this make Metallica a glorified tribute band? The reason I ask, is because nobody really made a youtube plagiarism video for them, and I bet most people don't even know. You can dig up a lot, on most well known musicians, nothing is as original as it may seem. And to even care about such technicalities, is a waste of time. If you like the music, that is all that matters.
First off the entire album to the Breadfan song you posted (Garage Inc) is a cover album from Metallica. I own the CD and it says the song was written by Budgie.

Also on Kill em All being a complete rip off of style and name from the Band Budgie, not true on both accounts. I looked up and could not find a Budgie album named Kill em All. In fact Kill em All was first released as "Metal Up Your Ass" but they were forced to rename it and called it Kill Em All in reference to all the Hair Metal bands in LA in the early 80s.

Saying Metallica copied Budgie's style is ridiculous, first off anyone who plays Metal is copying Black Sabbath because they invented pretty much every Metal riff ever written. Also Metallica invented Thrash Metal... which is a combination of British heavy metal (Sabbath) and Punk music... Budgie has no punk whatsoever in there music.

So you're wrong on all accounts.

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
this is sorta relevant if you want to watch.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac]YouTube - Video explains the world's most important 6-sec drum loop[/ame]

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
LOL, I had a buddy one time who was convinced that Ozzy was actually born in Pittsburgh.

This was before Wikipedia, so I had to find a biography on him to show him.