What does a successful rookie year look like for Caleb Williams?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why is Justin Fields at a 12% sack rate and Tyson was only at 3%? Can you answer that?

Whos fault is it?
Justin’s. I noticed you ignored everything else I said, also I have to be careful on the amount of times I post now

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Look again but pretty sure you expected the same standard, not enough interest to go look and continue a back and forth.
If I was wrong, I apologize.

The bar is Justin Fields. Anything lower is bad, anything higher is good. That was my point. And this is as a rookie compared to guy in his 3rd season

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The bar is Justin Fields. Anything lower is bad, anything higher is good. That was my point. And this is as a rookie compared to guy in his 3rd season
Why? Justin was never considered a once in a lifetime QB, why is the bar now Justin?

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Justin’s. I noticed you ignored everything else I said, also I have to be careful on the amount of times I post now

Because Tyson is an undrafted free agent. Thats why. A rookie one at that. This was Justin's 2nd year in the same system

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Because if you're replacing the QB, you want the new one to be better than the previous?
Agreed but this isn’t just any QB. The number 1 pick, considered Mahomes like. I guess I expected more. Nothing insane but more

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Let's not jump the shark just yet, wait and see if he ends up here first. We can print the SB tickets later.
Tell that to the folks that have been talkin the highest propaganda possible the past several weeks, about how his arrival is gonna cure all evils

(I'm not disagreeing w/ you by the way)

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Because Tyson is an undrafted free agent. Thats why. A rookie one at that. This was Justin's 2nd year in the same system
So if draft placement matters then Caleb should have way higher expectations in everything, right? This is my last post in here for a while btw so please have a good argument instead of low bar excuses

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So if draft placement matters then Caleb should have way higher expectations in everything, right? This is my last post in here for a while btw so please have a good argument instead of low bar excuses
so whats the bar when a team trades up and essentially wastes two 1st round picks on you?

Canth

Liked Posts:
I can't speak for others, but yeah, I did try to be reasonable in my prediction of a good or great season for Williams. There will be a transition period for him from college to the NFL. It's rare for a rookie QB to make an instant mark on a team and that is what makes CJ Stroud's season so special last year. That was rare.

I would love for Williams to have that sort of rare season by a rookie and for him to lead the Bears to the playoffs and even better if they get playoff wins. But I am also not going to lose my mind and demand everyone gets fired if he is merely good with flashes of awesome plays - ie, he plays like a talented young rookie with promise that he can finally be that franchise guy.

I do find it stupid when the anti-Williams crowd demands he produce at a level as a rookie that actual HOF, "generational", QB's did not accomplish or else they will label him a bust and that it was a bad move, etc. That is just dumb by any measure.

I also hate the term generational. I do not think that term should ever really be applied to a prospect, especially not every 1-2 years. It just flat out shows that the term is not understood and is overused because it sounds cool.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So who should we compare him too? If Fields sucks do we compare him to other QBs the experts said would be great? I’m legit asking
I don't like the compare thing at all. Maybe sometimes to describe style of play but they're all so different and that's usually due to their heads as much as physical skills. It's nice when you can get both working for you. Fingers crossed if we draft him. As an either / or preference, I would also take Maye and trade Fields. After that, not so much but it's not all about CW for me. It's about what I think would most help the team and the value of the position. The thing you cannot project and more often doesn't get better after a few years in QBs is process. It's not impossible but it's rare. If anyone will work at it to overcome, it's Fields and I hope he does well with it at some point and capitalizes on all those physical skills. I would simply take this opportunity to try and do better.

I'm sure the plan last year was to trade down and have the resources ready in case Poles wanted to make a strong move at a QB. Crazy capital to outbid anyone if required. I'm sure he hoped he wouldn't need to think about using it. Just so happens he got his cake and can eat it too.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I do find it stupid when the anti-Williams crowd demands he produce at a level as a rookie that actual HOF, "generational", QB's did not accomplish or else they will label him a bust and that it was a bad move, etc. That is just dumb by any measure.

hit the nail on the head and they know exactly why theyre doing it

Brownie

Liked Posts:
for the Bears to have an offense that makes it look easy. Not worried about stats or anything like that no matter who the qb is. Just make playing football look easy. Too many times watching the Bears offense, they make it look like it is an incredible feat to move the football. Then other teams go out there and it looks like everyone knows what they are doing and things run smoothly.

2 things that spanned Nagy<‐>Getsy:

1. No bread and butter plays or even play that we could say "we run THAT well, at the very least"

2. Seemed to never just keep short yardage simple. Shit was always an adventure.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Rick Spielman was on Waddle and Silva and compared Justin to Javy Baez. All flash but just missing that one thing to keep him consistent.
Would you trust Nagy or Getsy with developing Williams? With any of the offensive personnel during their tenures?

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Would you trust Nagy or Getsy with developing Williams? With any of the offensive personnel during their tenures?

They wouldn't be my choice but you really can't predict how that would work out.

Personally think its more the player making the coaches look good than the other way around. Just my opinion

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I fully expect Caleb to put up better numbers than fields did in his 3rd year.

At the end of the day that’s why you draft a qb. Not because he’s the next mahomes or whatever, but because the current qb isn’t good enough.
Thank you. I think that's where my expectations would lie. I want the quickest way to wins and for us not to waste another playoff caliber defense if we can help it. No time for another incubator year after tanking the year before last.

Ain't nobody got time for that.