What does a successful rookie year look like for Caleb Williams?

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You are an idiot if you think fields was setup to succeed like the next quarterback will be., turncoat.

Well Pace isn't here. Tough shit.

And I gave him up to the conclusion of this season. The Atlanta game was awesome, then the Packer game just showed the continued inconsistency was still there. No need to be emotional about it

Reactions: DC

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Here's a fun stat I heard today: Of the 19 passing TDs this year for the Chicago Bears, 10 of them were caught by WRs. 8 of them were by DJ Moore. The most recent TD caught by a WR for the Chicago Bears whose name isn't DJ Moore happened in Week 2.

It was Chase Claypool.
Scott should have had minimum two

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
If CW somehow manages to put up stats similar to Fields year1....something something...this is a bad coaching staff. And we could've just kept Fields. Wash rinse repeat

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Good point. 4,000 yards passing, 30 TDs, 2:1 TD to INT ratio, playoffs . . . for a rookie learning a new system with a new offensive coordinator. He's good, but to say he has to put up Holla Fame numbers in his first year or he's a bust? Come on, fellas . . .

I get the idea Fields Fanboys are resigned to the inevitable and these lofty mandates are in many cases more about sour grapes than honest evaluations and expectations. Fields hasn't come close to those kindsa numbers in 3 years - is he a bust? I suspect there's no straight answer to that question . . .

100 percent this.

As much as I hope they don’t resort to this, you can already see the Fields-lovers laying the groundwork to undercut a rookie QB because they’re angry the Bears moved on from Fields.

They’re going to be watching rookie Caleb Williams with a much more critical eye than the people they’re accusing of being unfair to Fields did in Fields’ rookie year.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
3000+ yards, 20/10 td/int, winning record. But really it just has to LOOK right. Are we improved? Can he work his progressions? Are the othe new players (such as a WR at 1.09, or maybe a LT or DE working out), etc. I don't expect the playoffs, I'm not asking for Stroud, just not the mistakes that Justin was making. Pair this with a good def that could also improve, and we should have a winning record. But we're thinking long-term here, this isn't about his rookie year, it's about being a contender in the division for the next 5-10 years. If you get the QB right, they can play for 10-15 years.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
100 percent this.

As much as I hope they don’t resort to this, you can already see the Fields-lovers laying the groundwork to undercut a rookie QB because they’re angry the Bears moved on from Fields.

They’re going to be watching rookie Caleb Williams with a much more critical eye than the people they’re accusing of being unfair to Fields did in Fields’ rookie year.
Lmao...

What you just said goes both ways.

Also most of us will root for whoever is taking snaps behind center because we are fans of this TEAM.

What some of you don't seem to get is that it's not just CW v Fields.. It's CW vs the opportunity cost of giving up what you already know you have/ the extra draft capital you would get from a trade down/ possibly putting too much on the D if you bring along a rookie QB.

It's not just about 2 dudes. But if we get Caleb and forgo the other basket of options, then yea, he BETTER ball the fuck out.

Last edited:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Lmao...

What you just said goes both ways.

Also most of us will root for whoever is taking snaps behind center because we are fans of this TEAM.

What some of you don't seem to get is that it's not just CW v Fields.. It's CW vs the opportunity cost of giving up what you already know you have/ the extra draft capital you would get from a trade down/ possibly putting too much on the D if you bring along a rookie QB.

It's not just about 2 dudes. But if we get Caleb and forgo the other basket of options, then yea, he BETTER ball the fuck out.
Good man and thanks for lighting up the idiots on here.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
If Williams is the generational QB that damn near EVERYBODY says he is why can't we compare him to the best rookie QB seasons in recent history (Justin Herbert and CJ Stroud)?

If he really is among the top QB prospects ever then he should have the highest of expectations.
Interested to see the CW gang come up with an excuse for that not being correct.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Here's a fun stat I heard today: Of the 19 passing TDs this year for the Chicago Bears, 10 of them were caught by WRs. 8 of them were by DJ Moore. The most recent TD caught by a WR for the Chicago Bears whose name isn't DJ Moore happened in Week 2.

It was Chase Claypool.
Uh, Oh, we in trouble boss. I had no idea this was the case.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
100 percent this.

im sure some people will do this

however, i think its fair to point out that the CW fans already are mostly convinced that CW is better than fields, so should we not expect more from CW???

wont the roster around CW be vastly better this coming year than at any point during JF1's tenure?? thus, raising the expectations of the numbers put up from the QB position in the coming year??

Toast88

Liked Posts:
im sure some people will do this

however, i think its fair to point out that the CW fans already are mostly convinced that CW is better than fields, so should we not expect more from CW???

wont the roster around CW be vastly better this coming year than at any point during JF1's tenure?? thus, raising the expectations of the numbers put up from the QB position in the coming year??

Find me the Caleb Williams fan who thinks he won't have any rookie QB struggles.

I mean, yeah, sure. You're not wrong in that I fully expect Caleb Williams to be a better NFL quarterback than Fields, and for it not to take him 3 years to do it.

But that honestly should have nothing to do with magnifying every mistake and opportunity for growth in a quarterback's rookie year. If Fields comes back and once again starts slow, Fields fans will point to the new OC and say, "Hey, what do you expect? The guy has his third OC in 4 years."

Shouldn't the same benefit of the doubt go to Williams, considering Williams will be a rookie with new teammates, new receivers, new protection, a new playbook, new coaches, in a whole new league, with a whole new way of looking at things?

If Williams has some growing pains, I don't think that's unexpected. But I think Fields fans will pretend like it was unexpected for Williams fans, and glee in magnifying every rookie mistake out of petty bitterness over the Bears getting rid of Fields. Seems par for the course on something as divisive as this.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Find me the Caleb Williams fan who thinks he won't have any rookie QB struggles.

I mean, yeah, sure. You're not wrong in that I fully expect Caleb Williams to be a better NFL quarterback than Fields, and for it not to take him 3 years to do it.

But that honestly should have nothing to do with magnifying every mistake and opportunity for growth in a quarterback's rookie year. If Fields comes back and once again starts slow, Fields fans will point to the new OC and say, "Hey, what do you expect? The guy has his third OC in 4 years."

Shouldn't the same benefit of the doubt go to Williams, considering Williams will be a rookie with new teammates, new receivers, new protection, a new playbook, new coaches, in a whole new league, with a whole new way of looking at things?

If Williams has some growing pains, I don't think that's unexpected. But I think Fields fans will pretend like it was unexpected for Williams fans, and glee in magnifying every rookie mistake out of petty bitterness over the Bears getting rid of Fields. Seems par for the course on something as divisive as this.
I would counter with saying, find me a fields fan that thinks CW wont have reasonable growing pains? and most fields fans are aware he has flaws too

again, its the CW fans that have declared CW to be better than fields already...so any expectations rising has been due to the CW fans hyping him up to no end.

the same benefit of the doubt is erased(at least to some degree) by the hype and also the fact that the bears roster around CW will be better than it has been in 3 years.

CW didnt seem too phased by switching colleges and having all new teammates, receivers, protection, in a different conference as evidenced by the Heisman trophy he won. yes, the coaches were largely the same(and obviously playbook).

i agree that growing pains are to be expected. however, i also think playoffs next year has become the goal/expectation...so if CW has a sizeable hand in keeping that from happening, there will be blame laid at CW's feet(or his heels...pun intended) whether you think that is right or wrong.

the situations in which fields has played for the bears and the situation CW will find himself in on the bears are vastly different...so why shouldnt the reactions be vastly different too??

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I would counter with saying, find me a fields fan that thinks CW wont have reasonable growing pains? and most fields fans are aware he has flaws too

again, its the CW fans that have declared CW to be better than fields already...so any expectations rising has been due to the CW fans hyping him up to no end.

the same benefit of the doubt is erased(at least to some degree) by the hype and also the fact that the bears roster around CW will be better than it has been in 3 years.

CW didnt seem too phased by switching colleges and having all new teammates, receivers, protection, in a different conference as evidenced by the Heisman trophy he won. yes, the coaches were largely the same(and obviously playbook).

i agree that growing pains are to be expected. however, i also think playoffs next year has become the goal/expectation...so if CW has a sizeable hand in keeping that from happening, there will be blame laid at CW's feet(or his heels...pun intended) whether you think that is right or wrong.

the situations in which fields has played for the bears and the situation CW will find himself in on the bears are vastly different...so why shouldnt the reactions be vastly different too??
I guess to me, the issue of reasonable expectations for Caleb Williams in his rookie year is different from the expectation that he will ultimately be better than Justin Fields. It might not be the same way for others, though.

If the excuse for being a bitch about a rookie QB’s struggles is, “Well, I thought you guys said he was going to be generational!!,” which I fully expect a lot of people to do, that’s obviously not built out of honest evaluation of expectations. It’s obviously petty bitterness.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess to me, the issue of reasonable expectations for Caleb Williams in his rookie year is different from the expectation that he will ultimately be better than Justin Fields. It might not be the same way for others, though.

If the excuse for being a bitch about a rookie QB’s struggles is, “Well, I thought you guys said he was going to be generational!!,” which I fully expect a lot of people to do, that’s obviously not built out of honest evaluation of expectations. It’s obviously petty bitterness.
I believe the expectation is that you are using a shit ton of draft capital on a guy and if he performs worse than the previous QB which you already had, there is an issue.

The Bears are expected to be an improved team next year regardless of who the QB is. The expectation is playoffs considering they were in the hunt in December....

If Williams, who you spent big draft capital on, does not perform well, I think its pretty reasonable to question the draft choice.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I believe the expectation is that you are using a shit ton of draft capital on a guy and if he performs worse than the previous QB which you already had, there is an issue.

The Bears are expected to be an improved team next year regardless of who the QB is. The expectation is playoffs considering they were in the hunt in December....

If Williams, who you spent big draft capital on, does not perform well, I think its pretty reasonable to question the draft choice.

they are not trading up to get him like they did for Justin so this "shit ton of draft capital" isnt accurate. You're picking the #1 overall prospect at #1 without having to trade up for it

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
they are not trading up to get him like they did for Justin so this "shit ton of draft capital" isnt accurate. You're picking the #1 overall prospect at #1 without having to trade up for it
Its about what you have at the moment...a trade down by the Bears would yield more draft capital and extra players...

no one is considering what was traded 3 years ago for Fields... Its about what you have and what you could get vs outcomes...

If the Bears regress after improving other positions, it is perfectly acceptable to question the draft choice.

Taking Williams is supposed to improve the QB position not regress it in hopes of it getting better at some point in the future.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its about what you have at the moment...a trade down by the Bears would yield more draft capital and extra players...

no one is considering what was traded 3 years ago for Fields... Its about what you have and what you could get vs outcomes...

If the Bears regress after improving other positions, it is perfectly acceptable to question the draft choice.

Taking Williams is supposed to improve the QB position not regress it in hopes of it getting better at some point in the future.

Well no one knows what a team is willing to even give to move up, what the bears are asking or whether a team even wants to in the first place. This isn't a move up and get your guy and hope he's the one situation. You take the QB and you're not wasting other capital moving up for him and can still upgrade the team