What does a successful rookie year look like for Caleb Williams?

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty low bar for a "generational QB".
They already have a guy that can/will blow those stats away that folks want to dump.
Bunch of hypocrites for a shing new toy that will wear off quickly like a new set of golf clubs,
oh, wait it wasn't the old clubs after all.

Already have a guy that can blow those stats out of the water? Justin can't even clear 3000 yards. But now he's gonna blow stats out of the water 😂

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Could you imagine the # of extra penalty yards if Fields got calls like the rest of the nfl qb's?

It's laughable Fields only got 1 roughing passer call all year, lol
It has never made sense to me, in 2022 when he was in the MVP conversation for a while with top selling jersey
numbers with all the national media hype why they would not have or still been protecting him.
NFL knows when the Bears are good the league is much better off.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Caleb "He better win."

Fields " Aw poor baby. He just needs way more help"
I think people are expecting the glaring offensive holes to be completely addressed this offseason: center and WR2.

Fields, if he were to be the QB in 2024, would be in a put up or shut up season. He would not have any more leeway or excuses.

So it stands to reason that the rookie QB we're drafting to replace him should have a better than mediocre season.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Caleb "He better win."

Either/or both should win next year. If it weren't for the 3 epic collapses by the defense the Bears are in the playoffs in 2023

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
WOW, so much expectation of a rookie by those that want to give Fields more time to achieve those same goals after 3 years.
Are they coming into the same situation @Bearly ? Is Williams about to throw to Dante Petits?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I didn't say a think about Fields, that wasn't the question that was posed. The question posed was expectations for Caleb Williams, not Justin Fields. So what is the point of your comment? This entire chain has nothing to do with Justin Fields.

Justin Fields also didn't come into the league as "the best QB since Andrew Luck" moniker that many are saying about Williams. Fields was always a highly talented project coming from Ohio State. Based on the media reports and many "experts" Williams is supposed to be the next coming of Jesus. So yeah, if he is supposed to be that good, then fuck yes he should accomplish what I said in my previous post. If people are saying he is the next Patrick Mahomes but with a stronger arm, then he absolutely better put up 4K yards and 25+ TDs. That should be the floor for him. NO ONE said that about Fields coming out of college, not a single person said he was the next big thing. They all said he was highly talented but had alot of issues he needed to clean up.

Personally, I am a Justin Fields fan and I would rather we keep him and get multiple picks to shore up the remaining holes on our team. I don't believe that Fields has been put in the best position to succeed as his OC's have been shit, BUT, Fields also has to improve in spite of his shit coaching.
Don't worry the CW crowd will turn into sharks after a bad game or two.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Caleb "He better win."

Straw man argument. If Fields came into this same situation with the same hype he’d get the same expectations. Just admit that y’all don’t want to put any high expectations on CW because you don’t want to look foolish on this board or have no faith in him

PhilEBuster

shoopster - Then. Now. Forever.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty low bar for a "generational QB".
They already have a guy that can/will blow those stats away that folks want to dump.
Bunch of hypocrites for a shing new toy that will wear off quickly like a new set of golf clubs,
oh, wait it wasn't the old clubs after all.
Have a guy that will blow those stats away? The guy you’re talking about hasn’t hit those stats yet.

This is the folly of the Fields Fanboys. Just saying it doesn’t make it true, or possible . . .

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Straw man argument. If Fields came into this same situation with the same hype he’d get the same expectations. Just admit that y’all don’t want to put any high expectations on CW because you don’t want to look foolish on this board or have no faith in him

Fact of the matter is Justin had more help this past season and it didn't result in the jump people expected. And guess what? Now he needs MORE. He needs MHJR, DJ Moore and maybe another LT. The excuses will never stop and it will always be someone else's fault

Never mind a backup UDFA has a sack rate 4x less than Justin Fields with the same supporting cast.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Those are absolutely fair comments. As for Elway and Manning (I assume you mean Peyton and not "the other one") those are fair points but as a caveat, it was also a much different era and game at the time. With the new contract rules, Free Agency and the need to "win now" who knows. Also (had to check the stats), Peyton Manning was already in the MVP discussion his 2nd and 3rd year in the league (finished 2nd and 5th) and in his rookie year, people like to bring up the 28 INTS (ouch) but he also threw for 3700 Yards and 25 TD's as well (better than almost any Bear QB ever in our history). Elway is an interesting story because his stats never really lined up with his hype (56% career completion % stunned me, I was sure it was much higher).

But, I 100% agree with what you were saying (and to paraphrase) its a lot about feel for the game (is that a fair comparison to what you said above)? When I watched CJ Stroud at OSU, I thought kid was a stud but almost felt like Ryan Day was holding him back. After this first year, I was like yep, Ryan Day was holding him back because CJ was showing things we never got to see in College. I feel the same way about JJ McCarthy this year, I think people are going to be surprised about how his NFL career will go. I personally thing he may be the best QB in this class 10 years down the road.

I watch Caleb Williams and I see someone in between Johnny Manziel and Baker Mayfield. I just don't think he is the guy you want to stake a #1 pick on. If the Bears were to get a QB, I wouldn't mind waiting until 2025 because we will have multiple 1st picks (assuming we trade out of #1) and the Bears can build a "complete" team. Right now, there are still alot of holes on this team
So you don't want him because you don't think he's all that. That's very acceptable but nothing to do with your previous posts. That's why I called them straw men.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you have the same standard of expectations for the generational guy as the failure guy why make the move?

I expect him to be a better passer. Who said the same? I said he has to be better than Justin to justify the upgrade. That isn't hard

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Those are absolutely fair comments. As for Elway and Manning (I assume you mean Peyton and not "the other one") those are fair points but as a caveat, it was also a much different era and game at the time. With the new contract rules, Free Agency and the need to "win now" who knows. Also (had to check the stats), Peyton Manning was already in the MVP discussion his 2nd and 3rd year in the league (finished 2nd and 5th) and in his rookie year, people like to bring up the 28 INTS (ouch) but he also threw for 3700 Yards and 25 TD's as well (better than almost any Bear QB ever in our history). Elway is an interesting story because his stats never really lined up with his hype (56% career completion % stunned me, I was sure it was much higher).

But, I 100% agree with what you were saying (and to paraphrase) its a lot about feel for the game (is that a fair comparison to what you said above)? When I watched CJ Stroud at OSU, I thought kid was a stud but almost felt like Ryan Day was holding him back. After this first year, I was like yep, Ryan Day was holding him back because CJ was showing things we never got to see in College. I feel the same way about JJ McCarthy this year, I think people are going to be surprised about how his NFL career will go. I personally thing he may be the best QB in this class 10 years down the road.

I watch Caleb Williams and I see someone in between Johnny Manziel and Baker Mayfield. I just don't think he is the guy you want to stake a #1 pick on. If the Bears were to get a QB, I wouldn't mind waiting until 2025 because we will have multiple 1st picks (assuming we trade out of #1) and the Bears can build a "complete" team. Right now, there are still alot of holes on this team
The Manzel - Mayfield range is where I see him after watching all his games last 2 years plus as many Okla games as were on TV.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are they coming into the same situation @Bearly ? Is Williams about to throw to Dante Petits?
Nope but he's a ROOKIE and Fields wasn't last year nor throwing to Pettis. Pee tits? You devil!

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fact of the matter is Justin had more help this past season and it didn't result in the jump people expected. And guess what? Now he needs MORE. He needs MHJR, DJ Moore and maybe another LT. The excuses will never stop and it will always be someone else's fault

Never mind a backup UDFA has a sack rate 4x less than Justin Fields with the same supporting cast.
Pretty sure people just want another WR, if you don’t mind showing who demands another LT that would be great.

That backup QB also had more turnovers than plays that went over 20 yards, pls stop trying to use him as a positive example, he was bad. So again why is the best QB in a generation being held to the same standards as a QB that sucks? Seems like a weak argument

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Already have a guy that can blow those stats out of the water? Justin can't even clear 3000 yards. But now he's gonna blow stats out of the water 😂
Open your eyes and grow up. Surely you can't be this blind to see the entire picture.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nope but he's a ROOKIE and Fields wasn't last year.
So who should we compare him too? If Fields sucks do we compare him to other QBs the experts said would be great? I’m legit asking

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty sure people just want another WR, if you don’t mind showing who demands another LT that would be great.

That backup QB also had more turnovers than plays that went over 20 yards, pls stop trying to use him as a positive example, he was bad. So again why is the best QB in a generation being held to the same standards as a QB that sucks? Seems like a weak argument

Why is Justin Fields at a 12% sack rate and Tyson was only at 3%? Can you answer that?

Whos fault is it?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I expect him to be a better passer. Who said the same? I said he has to be better than Justin to justify the upgrade. That isn't hard
Look again but pretty sure you expected the same standard, not enough interest to go look and continue a back and forth.
If I was wrong, I apologize.